• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 24

    Thread: Dirty Water Collection Chamber/Just-In-Case Filter/DracoDrum RDF/UV Clarifier

    1. #1
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069

      Dirty Water Collection Chamber/Just-In-Case Filter/DracoDrum RDF/UV Clarifier

      As many of you know I like to provide some protection before a rotary drum filter to keep the really big stuff from getting into the drum. A RDF is great at filtering out the really small stuff but large leaves, sticks, crazy fish that go down the bottom drain are not handled well inside an RDF so that is where the Dirty Water Collection Chamber comes in. With the DracoDrum RDF's you are limited to either a single 4" inlet for the Origins filter or two 4" inlets for the DracoDrum25, so this DWCC will also allow you to have more inlets enter this chamber and mix together before going into the RDF. I also like to include five sheets of super high density Matala matting with the filter to be used as a Just-In-Case Filter. If somehow you end up tearing your 58 microns screen on the drum then you can reduce the total flow to about 1/3 of normal, and place the mats into the filter to act as a mechanical filter until the screen can be repaired. I have seen quite a few of the UV lamps incorporated into RDF's and all of them have the same problem. The water is not flowing the length of the lamp so it doesn't get a long enough reaction time with the UV radiation to be very effective. Seeing as how I was already building something custom I figured I would incorporate one of my 95 Watts UV Lamps into this filter properly, by adding a false floor and making the clean water travel the entire length of the lamp before it gets sucked out by the water pump.

      The filter container will remain the same no matter which of the DracoDrum RDF's you purchase (because the width is the same and the length needs to be the same due to the UV lamp) but the pricing will change based on the RDF size required.
      Complete package with Origins RDF has a max flow rate of 4,500 GPH and is $4,420 + freight
      Complete package with DracoDrum25 RDF has a max flow rate of 6,600 GPH and is $4,820 + freight
      If you need more UV clarification on your pond, then I can easily add a second UV lamp for an additional $190


      This is the empty filter on the inlet side. Three 4" inlets, and Two 4" outlets on the front. One 3" RDF waste line, and One 3" DWCC cleanout on the left side.
      Name:  20180426_130556.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  49.9 KB

      This shows you the view of the false floor opening where the clean water drops down and reacts with the 95W UV
      Name:  20180426_130613.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  47.9 KB

      This is a view looking inside one of the 4" outlet pipes that shows the DWCC 3" cleanest pipe and the UV lamp holder at the far end
      Name:  20180426_130627.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  25.9 KB

      This is the DracoDrum25 dropped into place and bolted onto the the divider wall for a nice seal between the dirty side and the clean side of the filter
      Name:  20180426_131333.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  58.1 KB

      Then we can install the waste tray and connect the 3" waste cleanup pipe
      Name:  20180426_132004.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  54.7 KB

      This is the 1" x 1" square opening tray that i use to collect the really large objects and keep them from entering the RDF
      Name:  20180426_133344.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  61.1 KB
      Name:  20180426_133411.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  78.3 KB
      Name:  20180426_133423.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  71.8 KB
      Name:  20180426_133443.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  71.2 KB


      The above picture is what the filter will look like 99.9% of its operational life, but when you need it, you can install the Matala mats like this and reduce the water flow down to 1/3 of normal flow
      Name:  20180426_133720.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  99.6 KB
      Name:  20180426_134033.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  86.7 KB

      Here are a few shots of the UV Clarifier section of the filter
      Name:  20180426_144250.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  40.4 KB
      Name:  20180426_144334.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  31.2 KB

      This customer will be connecting the spray bar up to their tap water line so I brought the 1/2" line down to the edge of the filter so they can make and easy connection
      Name:  20180426_151037.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  66.9 KB

      You don't want any environmental debris getting blown into you perfectly clean water after the RDF so I make a nice lid to keep the rain from pooling
      Name:  20180426_163648.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  73.2 KB
      Name:  20180426_163704.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  92.2 KB

      This is where the controller cable for the RDF will enter the filter as well as the 1/2" water supply for the spray bar
      Name:  20180426_163733.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  93.2 KB
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    2. #2
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      8,325
      Good product. If i had a large leaf load I would defiantly use a collection chamber. I cut all my trees down though lol

    3. #3
      Grumpy's Avatar
      Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Central Oregon Coast
      Posts
      365
      Rather than a collection shelf, wouldn't a collection "basket" be easier to remove and clean? Something with handles because of its size?

    4. #4
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      The openings of the grating are 1" x 1" so unless you have seriously fat fingers there are plenty of "handles" to grab the divider with I can do anything fabrication wise, but this shelf is the easiest to make (IE cheapest) and works very well. Making a basket would require drilling holes for the inlet pipes to pass through which would then allow the floating waste to escape the multiple 4" holes in the basket. If you had an idea in mind please send me a little sketch and I will see if it can be incorporated into the design without adding much cost. I don't mean to assume that I have thought of everything so you may be on to something I haven't thought of.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    5. #5
      bobbd's Avatar
      bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Location
      philadelphia, pennsylvania
      Posts
      1,124
      Nice work Zac

    6. #6
      lkstaack is offline Supporting Member
      is Learning
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      San Diego, CA
      Posts
      49
      what are the dimensions of this system?
      -Lars


    7. #7
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      It will depend on the version of DracoDrum that you have inside the container, but this version was around 26" wide x 43" long x 25" tall.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    8. #8
      bdel01's Avatar
      bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      NJ & RI
      Posts
      544
      BUMP - How are people liking this DWCC?

      Seems perfect for BD to RDF with no sieve in between or therefore have the opportunity to eliminate the sieve all together on gravity flow of course.
      best
      -ben

    9. #9
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      BUMP - How are people liking this DWCC?

      Seems perfect for BD to RDF with no sieve in between or therefore have the opportunity to eliminate the sieve all together on gravity flow of course.
      Well there is only one in use as of now and it has been hit or miss with them. It isn't the filters fault or the client but a combination of wanting too much water flow for too little suction side plumbing to handle it, and using the pressure pump to clean the screen so biological bacteria grows on the screen too fast and increases cycling time. Once the client and I worked out a hydrogen-peroxide cleaning schedule for the drum screen (once a month with his current situation) and paying attention to a constant pond water level then things have been working well. With Gravity Fed RDF's you really have to pay attention to those two things in order to have success. If the water level is always fluctuating then the filter will clean too frequently and sometimes not stop cleaning because the water level dropped too far. You really want to make sure you have an autofill or a constant trickle into the pond (with an overflow pipe) to keep that water level constant.

      I am actually putting the final touches on a second DWCC/JIC/RDF/UV filter that will be heading over to Hawaii in the next couple days. I will post pictures of it once it is completed. This filter will be replacing another RDF that has been a nightmare for the customer.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    10. #10
      tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Augusta,GA
      Posts
      1,327
      In my case I use plumbed in clean water to clean my screens and the over spray actually adds enough water that it keeps the pond topped off and the overflow takes out the excess.

    11. #11
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      Yes using city water supply to clean the drums is the best option for these small drums. The bacterial buildup on the screen creates a greater flow difference than it does on the larger RDFs like the Profidrums and Red Labels. The city water has chlorine in it to help keep the bacteria from growing on the screen. Most people with city water cleaning their screens can go 4-6 months before needing to clean the screen compared to some having to do it every month with the pond water cleaning.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    12. #12
      tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Augusta,GA
      Posts
      1,327
      Mine is well water so no added chemicals. I have never needed to clean my screens so just lucky I guess.

    13. #13
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      You also have two Origins 16's in your filter so that it a good bit of screen area compared to a single Origins 25's that this customer is using.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    14. #14
      bdel01's Avatar
      bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      NJ & RI
      Posts
      544
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Well there is only one in use as of now and it has been hit or miss with them. It isn't the filters fault or the client but a combination of wanting too much water flow for too little suction side plumbing to handle it, and using the pressure pump to clean the screen so biological bacteria grows on the screen too fast and increases cycling time. Once the client and I worked out a hydrogen-peroxide cleaning schedule for the drum screen (once a month with his current situation) and paying attention to a constant pond water level then things have been working well. With Gravity Fed RDF's you really have to pay attention to those two things in order to have success. If the water level is always fluctuating then the filter will clean too frequently and sometimes not stop cleaning because the water level dropped too far. You really want to make sure you have an autofill or a constant trickle into the pond (with an overflow pipe) to keep that water level constant.

      I am actually putting the final touches on a second DWCC/JIC/RDF/UV filter that will be heading over to Hawaii in the next couple days. I will post pictures of it once it is completed. This filter will be replacing another RDF that has been a nightmare for the customer.
      What is JIC?

      Im liking the idea of DWCC(maybe tighter squares on it) 2RDF (25)/2UV/GSHOWER/2PUMPS
      best
      -ben

    15. #15
      bdel01's Avatar
      bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      NJ & RI
      Posts
      544
      hopefully gets close to 10k gph
      best
      -ben

    16. #16
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      What is JIC?

      Im liking the idea of DWCC(maybe tighter squares on it) 2RDF (25)/2UV/GSHOWER/2PUMPS
      JIC = Just In Case
      This portion of the filter uses the super high density Matala matts that you see in the pictures Just In Case the RDF is not able to function properly. Maybe you got a lightening strike and it fried the controller, or maybe you dropped a hammer/wrench on the drum screen and tore it open(yes it has happened before), so the RDF is not functioning properly. In this situation you would reduce the total water flow to 1/3 of normal, and then insert those Matala Matts into the DWCC and then either remove the RDF from the filter or remove a large section of the drum screen so water can pass straight through. Since the water flow is reduced considerably a lot of the solid debris will be removed by the Matala so the biological filtration after the RDF is getting relatively clean water until the RDF is fixed. Once you have the RDF fixed you would remove the Matala and store it away, hopefully never to use it again.

      I am building the largest Gravity Fed ZacoDraco ever as I type this and it will incorporate the DWCC/JIC before going to Two DracoDrum Origins 16's for up to 9,000 GPH, and then it will shower down onto 8 Cu Ft of Rio Media for the biological filtration. I am also building a waste water sump chamber directly under the RDF's where the sump pump will go and it will have a perforated basket to capture the large RDF waste particles so that waste doesn't clog a sump pump. Normally with RDF's the customer would have to dig a separate sump chamber to handle the RDF waste water but this time it will be incorporated into the filter.
      Don't you worry, I will post pictures and explanations of this G-ZacoDraco as I get closer to finishing it. I have over 20 hrs of labor into already and probably have at least that many more to go. Custom work takes a long time to bring everything together.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    17. #17
      bdel01's Avatar
      bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      NJ & RI
      Posts
      544
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      JIC = Just In Case
      This portion of the filter uses the super high density Matala matts that you see in the pictures Just In Case the RDF is not able to function properly. Maybe you got a lightening strike and it fried the controller, or maybe you dropped a hammer/wrench on the drum screen and tore it open(yes it has happened before), so the RDF is not functioning properly. In this situation you would reduce the total water flow to 1/3 of normal, and then insert those Matala Matts into the DWCC and then either remove the RDF from the filter or remove a large section of the drum screen so water can pass straight through. Since the water flow is reduced considerably a lot of the solid debris will be removed by the Matala so the biological filtration after the RDF is getting relatively clean water until the RDF is fixed. Once you have the RDF fixed you would remove the Matala and store it away, hopefully never to use it again.

      I am building the largest Gravity Fed ZacoDraco ever as I type this and it will incorporate the DWCC/JIC before going to Two DracoDrum Origins 16's for up to 9,000 GPH, and then it will shower down onto 8 Cu Ft of Rio Media for the biological filtration. I am also building a waste water sump chamber directly under the RDF's where the sump pump will go and it will have a perforated basket to capture the large RDF waste particles so that waste doesn't clog a sump pump. Normally with RDF's the customer would have to dig a separate sump chamber to handle the RDF waste water but this time it will be incorporated into the filter.
      Don't you worry, I will post pictures and explanations of this G-ZacoDraco as I get closer to finishing it. I have over 20 hrs of labor into already and probably have at least that many more to go. Custom work takes a long time to bring everything together.
      wow that's awesome! surprised they are doing 16's rather than 25's.... UV built in too? Love the sump pump idea. Its definitely a mirror image of what i would consider upgrading too. What are the final dimensions?
      best
      -ben

    18. #18
      ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area
      Posts
      337
      Hi Zac,
      Thank you for confirming a general observation IME that the fluild dynamic have to be just right ( within a window ) for any gravity feed RDF ... I long suspect the overall stuck issue on a gravity feed RDF is directly related to the flow / restriction of the screen and nothing to do with anything else.

      As long as I hit that sweet spot, my RDF is chucking along ( going 6 months now without open the lid ).


      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Well there is only one in use as of now and it has been hit or miss with them. It isn't the filters fault or the client but a combination of wanting too much water flow for too little suction side plumbing to handle it, and using the pressure pump to clean the screen so biological bacteria grows on the screen too fast and increases cycling time. Once the client and I worked out a hydrogen-peroxide cleaning schedule for the drum screen (once a month with his current situation) and paying attention to a constant pond water level then things have been working well. With Gravity Fed RDF's you really have to pay attention to those two things in order to have success. If the water level is always fluctuating then the filter will clean too frequently and sometimes not stop cleaning because the water level dropped too far. You really want to make sure you have an autofill or a constant trickle into the pond (with an overflow pipe) to keep that water level constant.

      I am actually putting the final touches on a second DWCC/JIC/RDF/UV filter that will be heading over to Hawaii in the next couple days. I will post pictures of it once it is completed. This filter will be replacing another RDF that has been a nightmare for the customer.

    19. #19
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,069
      Quote Originally Posted by ccna101 View Post
      Hi Zac,
      Thank you for confirming a general observation IME that the fluild dynamic have to be just right ( within a window ) for any gravity feed RDF ... I long suspect the overall stuck issue on a gravity feed RDF is directly related to the flow / restriction of the screen and nothing to do with anything else.

      As long as I hit that sweet spot, my RDF is chucking along ( going 6 months now without open the lid ).
      Honestly, keeping a constant water level and keeping the biological bacteria from growing on the screen are the two major causes of problems with gravity fed RDF's. Keeping the bacteria off of the screen is the biggest problem with pump fed RDF's because if it gets bad it will empty your pond. Pump fed RDF's MUST HAVE a low water float switch that will turn off your water pump if the water gets below a certain level. Your fish will die without one. Public Service Announcement!!!!!!!
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    20. #20
      Grumpy's Avatar
      Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Central Oregon Coast
      Posts
      365
      Zac

      Following your comment about the failures of pump fed RDF's and loss of fish. It seems on a complete unit as yours, that if external walls of the unit had higher walls than the existing lower wall between the drum and the bio section, wouldn't that allow a package unit like yours not loose pond water even if the drum became filled with organics?

      I realize the cleaning function of the drum would be bypassed, but loss of fish would not be a worry.
      What am I missing?

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •