• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

The Saga of my breeding "Fiasco" for this year continues.......... After losing the eggs in the Showa spawn I decided to put all the fish from my heated tanks out in the big mud ponds. I was due to return to work and was thinking the three remaining egg viable females I had might mature and be better ready for a possible spawn whin I returned mid-June. There were about a dozen fish that had wintered over in the big pond and were un-sexed. Wife and I pulled seigned the dozen, did some sex checks and left the supposed females in. Put the females from the heated tanks in and two days later found I had missed a male long-fin Yamabuki. Now had eggs every where. Pulled the male long-fin out and sent him to the boy pond naming him "Y*******". Over the time I had left before returning to work I watched the eggs closly and never did see anything hatch. Left for work thinking this was another dud spawn. Went home last week for an emergency and had a few days to sit and feed the koi in the big ponds. Found I have what will probably turn out to be 2 or 3 thousand fry in the girl pond. Ther were at least 4 females involved. 2 Kohaku femal, 1 showa femal, and one long-fin Yamabuki female all with a male long-fin Yamabuki. "What a MESS" And then on top of this ..... In the male pond I also found fry. these fry are twice the size as the fry in the girl pond and by groth logic could have spawned 2-3 weeks earlier. There is only one conclusion I can make from this and that is that from the only three fish that would have been in this pond at the time (put in last year and wintered over.) One is a girl! I have a suspect in mind but have not pulled to confirm yet. will wait until the fry are large enough to sort and cull. Unfortunatly I would like to breed "High Quality" koi and my first breeding season ends up in flock spawns. And yet the breeders dream survives.... I find myself with the thrill of anticipation... Maybe a nice lon-fin Kin Showa or a Kin KI Utsuri etc. etc.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Well ... it happens. As a local ichthyologist explained about preventing spawning with a girl pond and a boy pond, "It only takes one mistake."

And I've made plenty of them. The female I just spawned was one I had thought was a male until 12 hours earlier. Another time, after failed attempt at a spawn a few years back, I figured out why when I put the "female" back in the girls' pond and all the splashing started.

I gather that you believe all your best females laid their eggs. Otherwise you could still give one a try here soon. Anyway, I hope you can get some pleasant surprises from your flock spawns.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You just can’t get koi that do what you want anymore.
      Except eating

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Yes, all the females are done for the season and yes I am kind of interested to see what comes out of the mixup. All fish involved were of very good quality and a few may turn out to be uniquely attractive.

Name:  IMG_1355.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  20.8 KB

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Mike, great story, well told. Will be hilarious in years to come when you finally strike gold and you remember this year's spawns. And, you will strike gold. But first the freakin' learning curve. What are you going to do with the massive fry production?
      So glad you found koiphen.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Well....... i suppose it will be an excelent opertunity to educate my culling skills on.

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FRK View Post
      Well....... i suppose it will be an excelent opertunity to educate my culling skills on.
      I cannot find appropriate emoji so OUCH, Good luck, :talk to Matt:, :"Don't look back:"

Last edited by Koigrl; 06-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Ktap191@comcast.net is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

12 gauge #7 shot for (ALL) the birds and steel traps for the fur. Guaranteed to work.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, all the females are done for the season and yes I am kind of interested to see what comes out of the mixup. All fish involved were of very good quality and a few may turn out to be uniquely attractive.
      Looking forward to your next update …

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Sorry I have been absent for so long. As to the spawning fiasco above, I have culled and reduced the numbers to something that will now winter over and then I can decide what I can do with them by spring.

Name:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  122.6 KB

Something important to share is what I observed in regards to numbers. There are three parts to this observation. 1st is pond one.. all the fry were spawned in this pond. since I use flow through water I need to drain excess or overflow. Pond one is elevated in relation to pond two and currently the overflow from pond 1 feeds to pond 2. Some eggs/fry from pond 1 must have "overflowed" to pond 2. Also on the day of the spawn I tried to transfer eggs to one of my "fry ponds" = pond 3. I watched pond three all summer and never saw any sign of fry or any indication that the eggs I relocated had hatched until yesterday while pumping pond 3 dry for the winter I found five fish (sorry no pictures). So here is the observation on size and numbers as of today. Pond 1 = 10,000 fry 4"-6". Pond 2 = 300 fry 8" - 10". Pond 3 = 5 fish 12" - 14". I have reduced the numbers in Pond one to around 400. I was so amazed when I found the 5 fish in pond 3 yesterday,,,,, 14" tosia!!!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Hey, Mike, Good to see you back with all your many splendored things. Next year is going to be better for you. look at how much you've learned already. i too had fish moving through a perforated drain cap from one pond to the other, just rehomed 114. kept about 15 that were my fruit salad colors. Love you to see my ki shusui haul of what john Clark calls my big fat koi! Well, if it gets cold fast, they may have to live on all that fat until april.
      meanwhile, about 90 big fat 2.5 yr olds in the nursery, all F2s and threw in some lady F1s in case some males wanted to have a go, but nothin.' no splashy=splashy, but they really filled up a 300 gal rubbermaid side to side to side.
      There's always next year, right?

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Good to hear from you Mike! That's interesting feedback about the sizes relative to the numbers. I would not have expected that big of a difference. You've given your ponds a test drive this summer and proven they can raise thousands.

When you get your intentional pairings of the Purdin elites next year, that will be a major paradigm shift.

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Question..... Is the sumi on a Shiro Bekku and Sanke considered the same "type" of sumi? Can a true sanke be produced by crossing a aShiro Bekku with a kohaku?

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question..... Is the sumi on a Shiro Bekku and Sanke considered the same "type" of sumi? Can a true sanke be produced by crossing a aShiro Bekku with a kohaku?
      Yes...

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I believe Orlando is correct. I have been and am still under the impression that most shiro bekko come from sanke spawns, and are just sanke that lack hi. So yes to both questions.

I would expect such a crossing would produce more fry without hi than a sanke x sanke or sanke x kohaku pairing. Besides it seeming like a natural thing to expect when one parent has no hi, I've seen something a little similar in my showa. When I have used showa with less hi in a spawn, I get more shiro utsuri than when I use showa with more hi in the spawn.

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Matt and Orlando. Some additional good information about your Showa with less Hi.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Hello, if you spawn two bekko you will probably get more sanke unlike the shiro utsuri blood line which produces more shiro utsuri. If you spawn a bekko with a kohaku you should get some kohaku, sanke, bekko and red with black koi. I crossed a Marudo male Kohaku with a Gengiro Sadazo bekko and that is what I got. The white skin on the Sadazo bekko produced a few high quality sanke.
      Last edited by Roger; 11-12-2019 at 03:08 PM.

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Hello all! I have been a little absent So here is an update. First I did have two successful "Planned spawns" I pulled and did a first cull on the Kohaku babies. Pulled the seine three times and still had several hundred that didn't get caught.

Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_1813.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  67.2 KBName:  IMG_1815.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_1817.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  65.1 KBName:  IMG_1819.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  68.9 KBName:  IMG_1820.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  51.5 KBName:  IMG_1825.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  81.9 KBName:  IMG_1827.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  58.4 KB

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Would like to see results after long culling process

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, very nice! Congrats on your success.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast