• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Cream Ogon?

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cream Ogon?

Hello; I acquired a fish labeled as a "Cream Ogon" but what exactly is this type?
      Very few information shows up when I search for it. Is this basically a marketing title that some dealers use for a cream colored Mukashi Ogon?

Will these darken up as they age like their Yamabuki counterparts, or pretty much stay the same?

http://www.champkoi.com/koi/group/OCT2017-74
      http://www.champkoi.com/koi/group/OCT2017-75
      http://www.champkoi.com/koi/group/OCT2017-76
      Attached Images Attached Images    

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I've seen this "label" before. Not sure what to make of it but I can tell you this - in the first link, that cream ogon is not a very good anything. Notice the back section before the tail, it's yellow. that would classify it as a lemon Hariwake. In the second link, the one on the far right is a whiter base but it will soon become a Matsuba. Notice the black on the front ray of the dorsal and tail and dark staining on the back of the tail. There's also a very slight hint of reticulation but it's really hard to see. I'm not sure if these will look more like a Mukashi as they get older or not but I do remember back in the old days that that was about as good as a platinum ogon could get until they refined it more and classified some as Purachina which are really hard white and highly metallic. I saw one at a breeders back in 2001 that he didn't want to sell as it was going to the AJKS but if I wanted it it was $4000 back then!lol
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I have platinum ogon that was platium color for awhile then started to fade out. This is my mukashi
      Attached Images Attached Images  

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

did u purchase from champ?my platinum was from champ and looks much like yours now. I go to genki now as he has no cream colored koi lol

cream colored koi is just cheesy to me. are we selling cars or koi. I would like to say more but I'll leave it at this

ah..my mukashi is 14.5 inches now and crushes that $400 koi.
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-16-2017 at 10:20 PM.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Not really sure what the heck that fish is that you posted Kevin. It really looks more like it's changing into a matsuba. Just because it's getting yellow on the head doesn't mean it's a mukashi. Champ koi provides a LOT of fish to many hobbyists around the country and if Ogata tells him that's what he calls those ogons, well I won't argue. I just think sometimes they see something in a spawn that really isn't quite up to snuff but could be, under the right conditions, like giving it a different name, can sell and they can make money off some novelty. I don't know how long they'll stick around if no one really buys them. But, we've seen different opinions on what others call mutts/chuppa, pond grade crap, be liked by others. Hey, it's all good if you like the marketing angle.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

kevin32, If I remember correctly, the creme colored Mukashi Ogon that you have, was from Sakai through an auction. And I think you wrote that it started out as a Platinum Ogon with a slight tinger and that it gradually yellowed up.
      Do you have several old style Ogons?
      My fish was purchased from Champion Nishikigoi, and it's an Ogata.

I also agree that the fish you posted above appears to be more of a Matsuba.
      I have a Ki Matsuba that faded substantially while kept indoors...the head on yours resembles the one I have, but the body color is very different. Yours seems to have a slight blue/green tinge to it; very interesting looking!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by nishikigoi21 View Post
      kevin32, If I remember correctly, the creme colored Mukashi Ogon that you have, was from Sakai through an auction. And I think you wrote that it started out as a Platinum Ogon with a slight tinger and that it gradually yellowed up.
      Do you have several old style Ogons?
      My fish was purchased from Champion Nishikigoi, and it's an Ogata.

I also agree that the fish you posted above appears to be more of a Matsuba.
      I have a Ki Matsuba that faded substantially while kept indoors...the head on yours resembles the one I have, but the body color is very different. Yours seems to have a slight blue/green tinge to it; very interesting looking!
      you are right. i got it as young tosai from a local dealer as a platinum.. I was kinds harsh on me saying mine would crush it lol.

i only have 1 other ogon and is about 6 years old and only 17 inches though. will be interesting to see how yours turns out

i have to many fish but Kevin at genki just post some nice platinum for sale on his facebook if your interested
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-22-2017 at 03:37 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007