• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Blue Eco RDF upgrade

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

hey dong. my rdf has been doing good now. pressure ttank is usually at 62 psi and no power used.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by ccna101 View Post
      Here is a short clip of the drum , for those who in the hurry

https://youtu.be/T0-OjLJyZ-U

1-spray+advance 4:30
      2_spray+advance 8:44

https://youtu.be/T0-OjLJyZ-U
      Interesting perspective...
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hi Kevin,

Yes, you did well there, I think the pressure tank solution also work... watch for the draw down and I think it will run like clockwork ... hope this will stop flood your lawn

btw: start digging ..., your tosai koi will be yonsai ???

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

hi Kevin,

Yes, you did well there, I think the pressure tank solution also work... watch for the draw down and I think it will run like clockwork ... hope this will stop flood your lawn

LOL! you mean rokusai don't you?!?lol
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

hi Kevin,

yeah. I cranked my ff pump and got more draw down. I have the waste plate propped open. i was able to get the pond level back to full after cranking the ff up with more draw down.

the tosai will soon be nisai i thought. 3 of my tosai sure have got big

41 koi and water is like glass. . water test perfect

shower setup with 40 liter air pump. if there was docs you would see foam. the rdf is doing the grunt work

I'm totally kidding about the 3 tosai of course
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kevin32; 09-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bump -

After so many months-smooth sailing, my BE is come to a halt for the last 2 weeks, plan B is working with J-mat and keep the pond clear so far ( I remove the screen, turn the RDF down so all water will come as by pass mode).

No pinion-spur gear, no sprocket/chain supply anywhere ... If anyone have a source for the motorized conversion gear combo, please let me know.

-d-

kby103 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bump -

After so many months-smooth sailing, my BE is come to a halt for the last 2 weeks, plan B is working with J-mat and keep the pond clear so far ( I remove the screen, turn the RDF down so all water will come as by pass mode).

No pinion-spur gear, no sprocket/chain supply anywhere ... If anyone have a source for the motorized conversion gear combo, please let me know.

-d-
      I will be posting my conversion later on in 2020, I need to play around with the sensors and controller that I bought to make sure they work the way I hope before ripping apart the BE in the spring.

In the meantime, I recommend simply watching eBay for the gears that you need. For mine, I selected a gear ratio of about 5:1 for the motor speed I have (12 RPM - Single-Phase 110/115 VAC, 60 Hz, 25 W (1/30 HP) AC Gear Motor (Motor with 150:1 Gearhead))

The driven gear was the hardest to find, so I bit the bullet and spent almost $100 on it, the drive gear and chain were easier to find – and cheaper! So – concentrate on the driven gear, then buy the drive sprocket based upon the teething that you find on the driven gear and your desired rotation speed. This is what I ended up with:

Martin 40B10SS 3/4 Sprocket Stainless Steel 10 Teeth 3/4" keyed Bore 40B10SS
      Martin 40B54SS, #40 Sprocket, 1" bore 1/4" key 54 Tooth, Stainless Steel,
      40 SS Stainless Steel Roller Chain 5 Feet with 1 Connecting Link
      (Hint – the numbering convention is that the first number is the chain size (#40), followed by hub type (I went with type “B”), number of teeth (10 and 54), and material (SS-stainless steel).

The total was about $160 for the gears and chain- you can get it cheaper if you are patient! I just wanted to have it all done. Depending upon what you find, you may need to get an adapter for the shafts – I found them listed as “Shaft Sleeve Adapter Pulley Bore Reducer Bushing Sheave & Key Stainless”. So- get a hub size that is the right size for your motor/drum shaft or larger, since it is easier to find an adapter than re-drill the hub (unless you know a machinist!).

I will let you know if mine all fits together as planned when I get time to play!
      Last edited by kby103; 12-26-2019 at 07:23 AM.

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bump -

-d-
      I just completed a conversion using SS sprockets from eBay. I have all the old original parts if you have any interest, PM me.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kby103 View Post
      I will be posting my conversion later on in 2020, I need to play around with the sensors and controller that I bought to make sure they work the way I hope before ripping apart the BE in the spring.

In the meantime, I recommend simply watching eBay for the gears that you need. For mine, I selected a gear ratio of about 5:1 for the motor speed I have (12 RPM - Single-Phase 110/115 VAC, 60 Hz, 25 W (1/30 HP) AC Gear Motor (Motor with 150:1 Gearhead))

The driven gear was the hardest to find, so I bit the bullet and spent almost $100 on it, the drive gear and chain were easier to find – and cheaper! So – concentrate on the driven gear, then buy the drive sprocket based upon the teething that you find on the driven gear and your desired rotation speed. This is what I ended up with:

(Hint – the numbering convention is that the first number is the chain size (#40), followed by hub type (I went with type “B”), number of teeth (10 and 54), and material (SS-stainless steel).

The total was about $160 for the gears and chain- you can get it cheaper if you are patient! I just wanted to have it all done. Depending upon what you find, you may need to get an adapter for the shafts – I found them listed as “Shaft Sleeve Adapter Pulley Bore Reducer Bushing Sheave & Key Stainless”. So- get a hub size that is the right size for your motor/drum shaft or larger, since it is easier to find an adapter than re-drill the hub (unless you know a machinist!).

I will let you know if mine all fits together as planned when I get time to play!
      Thanks Jim: I will short out and see what Santa had in store for me

-d-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pondfishguy View Post
      I just completed a conversion using SS sprockets from eBay. I have all the old original parts if you have any interest, PM me.
      Thanks for the offer, mate .

I don't know whether I want to go back and deal with the trouble of swapping parts ... it works but now I am traveling a-lot so I can not afford any hiccup ... once I have my part I will fix it for good.

-d-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I used a kit that's apparently no longer available but avorancher did his using more conventionally
      found parts that might help with the conversion:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...g-Blue-Eco-RFD
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for Steve of remind me avorancher and Tony thread, I been reading ...

Hi Jim, so we do need keyed gear and some what oversize driven gear for the existing shaft ? I got it.
      There are lot of good tip also from Tony conversion. OK I will start order the stuffs .

-d-

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you want to go with chain and sprockets here is a good source for #25 plastic sprockets 16 to 100 tooth. They could be bolted to the existing stainless steel hub. Plastic roller chain has a working load of 20 pounds. Stainless steel roller chain can also be used on plastic sprockets.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Are the gears stripping or the water piston jamming in your cases? Curious to know.

I will be replacing the magnetic float on mine with a underwater rated 24v solenoid coil off a fountain valve in a couple of weeks.
      It will be operated by my Levelor which has generally fallen into disuse since I do a trickle flow through these days.

Hope that doing so will allow me to better tune the flush cycles, which are a little long right now for my liking.

Love koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any one did convert motor kits for blue eco drum filter. If you have extra kits don’t use to want to sell i like to buy it please thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webted is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How did these parts fit for you? Did you find a 3/8" to 3/4" sleeve adapter for the geared to drive sprocket? I'm assuming the motor you picked up was the one with the 3/8" output? This seems like the only thing I can't find right now, which seems weird.

The other question regards the gear on the drum shaft - did you also go with a sleeve here, or did you weld them?

Best,

-t

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
      How did these parts fit for you? Did you find a 3/8" to 3/4" sleeve adapter for the geared to drive sprocket? I'm assuming the motor you picked up was the one with the 3/8" output? This seems like the only thing I can't find right now, which seems weird.

The other question regards the gear on the drum shaft - did you also go with a sleeve here, or did you weld them?

Best,

-t
      Unfortunately (for lessons learned-not me!) the unit has been working very nicely for me, which significantly lowered its priority in view of other things, so I have not yet done the conversion and cannot give you any lessons learned (although I am somewhat hopeful that I have all of the items I will need when the time comes).

The motor I got, however, has a 5/8 inch shaft (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U3G1UUK6&psc=1), and I found a 5/8-3/4 SS adapter on eBay.

I also obtained a sleeve for the drum shaft, (3/4-1"), which is hopefully right!

webted is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unfortunately (for lessons learned-not me!) the unit has been working very nicely for me, which significantly lowered its priority in view of other things, so I have not yet done the conversion and cannot give you any lessons learned (although I am somewhat hopeful that I have all of the items I will need when the time comes).

The motor I got, however, has a 5/8 inch shaft (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U3G1UUK6&psc=1), and I found a 5/8-3/4 SS adapter on eBay.

I also obtained a sleeve for the drum shaft, (3/4-1"), which is hopefully right!
      So, is the plan to use something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/3mirrors-Stai.../dp/B07MM3V5R4

Presumably it would get fit with a ~2" length of 5/8" stainless on the other side to account for the short length of the motor shaft?

I thought the drum shaft was 20mm diameter?

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...94#post2729194

Maybe this guy would work?

https://www.ondrivesus.com/PCB.53.48

I think I've got most everything lined up, it's just the dratted short motor shaft that seems to be the biggest problem.

Thanks again!

-t

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
      So, is the plan to use something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/3mirrors-Stai.../dp/B07MM3V5R4

Presumably it would get fit with a ~2" length of 5/8" stainless on the other side to account for the short length of the motor shaft?

I thought the drum shaft was 20mm diameter?

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...94#post2729194

Maybe this guy would work?

https://www.ondrivesus.com/PCB.53.48

I think I've got most everything lined up, it's just the dratted short motor shaft that seems to be the biggest problem.

Thanks again!

-t
      Looks promising- good luck! I like the ondriveus site- If what I got doesn't work I will go that route. The converter I found is slightly too small, (0.02 inches as I recall) but I was hoping to force it on!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123