• Tired
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New House, New Pond!

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Not saying you should do an anoxic filter or not. If anyone can make it work, that would be you. Most hobbyists don't because it is difficult to create such an environment that is large and stable enough for its intended purpose. Do you have a design? How do you plan to keep the sulfites or sulfate byproducts from leaking into the pond?
      I'm not planning to do a bog type anoxic filter, but rather one that attempts to achieve anoxic conditions within the core of solid media.
      Iron bearing lava rock in large chunks probably work, as do Dr. Novak's clay granule and fluorite red baskets.

Sulfate/sulfite generation happens when the system tilts towards the anaerobic end of the equation. Under high flow conditions where the media is surrounded by moving media on all sides - including underneath it (due to suspension off the floor) there should be little chance for H2S generation to occur unless there is a very prolonged system shutdown.

My main concern is the long start up time, and sensitivity of these systems to common medication or treatment regimes. The way I have designed my filter, I am giving the anoxic stage first dibs on any ammonia in solution. This also means I can't isolate that part of the filter. As mentioned in a past post, it it ends up working, all's well. If not, I have my traditional bakki and MBBR to fall back on.

Speaking of the MBBR. I have read that under the right conditions, an MBBR will actually host anoxic bacteria. This usually involves using coarse air bubblers and low volume air to mix a large quantity of media, combined with a relatively high dwell time. I might just go ahead and order 300 pounds of plastic bio chippery in the end If I do that I will have to do something special with the return water from the MBBR tank. Can't be hitting the pond inhabitants with a constant stream of deoxygenated water...

Finally, I'm still scratching my head as to where to source the anoxic seed media. I might end up taking a clay core sample of the local reservoir bottom (in the dead of the night to avoid the rangers).

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Everyone loves pictures. Maybe not so much confusing pictures

Name:  bakkishowerframe.PNG
Views: 575
Size:  71.8 KB

Isometric plan of the bakki shower frame.
      4 double tiers and about 6 feet high above the water. The last foot and a half of this is actually underwater, so the whole thing is about 8 feet tall.

It's being done in 2.5" rectangular SS316 tube.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  bakkishowerfront.PNG
Views: 565
Size:  19.7 KB

Front plan diagram including the pipe placement.

he rising pipes feed the distribution manifold up top.
      The thick horizontal pipe feeds the 3000 gallon MBBR.
      The skinny horizontal pipe feeds the air manifold and attached control valves, which are actually inside the MBBR tank.
      Strategic placement of the air blowers will make them double as air circulation devices for the covered channel. Can't have the air in there going stale.

The 3" pump outlets down below are intentionally attached to 6" riser pipes to reduce the egress velocity of the water at high flow volume.
      There is a good chance the right side of the manifold over the bakki trays will flow too much for even distribution of water. I will tweak the flow by selectively blocking manifold outlet holes with strips of silicone rubber sheet until a respectable head is maintained over the shower distribution at my desired run rate.

On the left side are gravity feed lines for running waterfall feature sections, a dedicated phoam phract or two, and also a hydroponics planting array that is planned for above the water return channel.
      Feed the veggies, and let the cleaned water return. Eat the veggies. Maybe feed the fish with some of the veggies.

Notice how the bakki shelves can be slid out the right side for maintenance if necessary without having to tear down the whole shower.
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 03-18-2021 at 06:22 AM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  bakkiframe.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  84.5 KBName:  bakkishelves.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  124.2 KB

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Questions might be asked... why this chunky horror? There are plenty of more streamlined off the shelf steel bakki systems out there - even if they can only be maintained by completely tearing things down.

This answer is that this is the skeletal framework for anchoring some other things, including fiberglass faux rock walls, and a couple of front overhanging waterfall shelves that will result in a grotto of sorts being created at the far left.
      I have not included the additional steel support members needed to make this possible in this drawing. Those will be iterated upon a bit later once this frame is in place. It is hard to visualize how things will be before the fact.

All in these things could get pretty heavy - especially the waterfall shelves when loaded with a few inches of water.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

One of the last videos of my existing pond before the fishies are relocated to a vacation pond at a local farm whilst the finishing work is done on the new pond, and the water conditioned for service.
      They might be there quite a few months.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  bakkiframe.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  89.3 KB

The steel frame for the bakki shower trays is about complete. There is still some finishing work to be done - mainly full welds to complete the tacked together pieces.
      The Stauff clamps for 168mm OD pipe came in yesterday. Huge things. I'll get a photo once they are fitted to the frame.
      They have to hold up 6" schedule 80 PVC and the water within, so being beefy I guess is a necessity. M24 bolts on them lol. They were heavy.
      The ceiling fan is a DC unit, 8' span. It will be run in reverse most of the time to help control humidity levels and encourage evaporative cooling.

Name:  completeddeck.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  100.9 KB

A sneak peak at how the landscaping is coming along. The decking over the main filter pit is complete. I took this photo standing over where the drum filters are installed.
      I also received a pair of 300W UVC submersible induction lamps. I'll get a photo of them when I unwrap em.
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 04-09-2021 at 04:23 AM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  mockup.PNG
Views: 496
Size:  126.2 KB

What I am thinking of doing to that steel frame.
      Fiberglass mock rock shelves, and real rock for the stump of a spillway below.
      Creates a grotto within which is access to the pump pit.
      It should make for interesting night scenery with some well placed lighting.
      The flow out over the shelves will be relatively low to keep things less noisy.
      I may invest in remotely operated motor valves to allow me to turn off/adjust flow over the shelves at night.
      The vast majority of the flow will go through the bakki unregulated.

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks for continuing to post updates. It will be interesting on your "tuning" the waterfall. It is so hard to anticipate the flow patterns and the right volumes for desired look and sound.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

That is going to be an amazing home too!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Haven't been around for a while. Miss a little miss a lot!!!

WOW!!!! Amazing build.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      Thanks for continuing to post updates. It will be interesting on your "tuning" the waterfall. It is so hard to anticipate the flow patterns and the right volumes for desired look and sound.
      Absolutely. That will be a real PITA to get right. Each shelf will be fed by its own valved 2" outlet.
      Ultimately the waterfall is a decorative one, and the flow over each ledge will be but a relatively small trickle.

Having the faux rock ledges crafted in situ will allow us to apply some math to things.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      That is going to be an amazing home too!
      Aye I hope so. Three years in the making.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

The stainless steel shower trays and manifold came in today.
      Now working with the structural steel guy to get the supports for the waterfall basins set up for fiber rock cladding.

Name:  bakkitrays.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  171.2 KB

The trays will probably be used with a combination of Bacterial House, lava rock, and sacks of oyster grit.
      They're made of 2mm thick 316L and are very robust, whilst remaining light enough for a single person to handle.

Name:  bakkitrays2.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  110.7 KB

Open top manifold mounted in place. It is tack welded permanently to the frame. Two 6" pipes will attach to the manifold stubs using fernco couplings.
      The pipes themselves are each supported by a pair of Stauff clamps to ensure that the ferncos (and the pumps below) do not bear any load.

2" pipe stubs will attach to valves, and feed the waterfall shelves, phoam phract, and a hydroponics grow array.
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 05-07-2021 at 06:27 AM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

The electrical DBs are done.

One DB is supplied by mains power, and the other is supplied by a 8KVA UPS.

The mains power DB is a traditional MCB+ELCB(GFCI) up/MCB down topology. If there is a fault on this circuit, the entire branch trips. Main upside is that this kit is cheap.
      The UPS DB uses a MCB up/RCBO down topology to prevent the UPS from tripping if something goes bad downstream. RCBOs unfortunately are a mite expensive or I'd have exclusively used them. 2 RCBOs here cost as much as one entire traditional DB.

The design intent is for enough infrastructure to stay alive to provide baseline life support for the pond should there be a prolonged power interruption. The UPS also has a inlet for attaching a portable diesel generator to the circuit should that become necessary.

Pictures soon.

combatwombat is offline Member
      is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

I found this thread while searching for discussions about anoxic filtration (hard to find!) and ended up reading the whole thread. Wow, what a build. I bet you're excited to be nearing completion.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by combatwombat View Post
      I found this thread while searching for discussions about anoxic filtration (hard to find!) and ended up reading the whole thread. Wow, what a build. I bet you're excited to be nearing completion.
      If you haven't had much luck searching try using this:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0070364...19978874%252Fc

And type in your search request.
      It's a custom Google search and is located on the dark blue navigation bar on the first page of the forum.

This thread is a great place to get "lost" though!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

combatwombat is offline Member
      is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      If you haven't had much luck searching try using this:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0070364...19978874%252Fc
      Thanks. That turned up a lot of results I missed even using site:koiphen.com on Google, which normally finds everything.
      Last edited by combatwombat; 05-29-2021 at 10:47 PM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  mockup.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  69.8 KB

Some A/B mockups for the mock rock layout.
      Meeting with the fiberglass landscaper next week.

Name:  pipes.PNG
Views: 697
Size:  532.4 KB

The pair of 8' x 6" feed pipes were really hard to install. 6" schedule 80 is heavy. Took two people to hold up the pipe, and one person to install the clamps.
      Using a pair of Stauff clamps (green plastic things) for each pipe. The fernco's not bearing any load.

Koi growing fat at the local koi hotel/farm. They probably get fed more than they normally do at home.
      They get real spring water too! A rarity on this island.

John P. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any updates?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast