Thread: New House, New Pond!

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Name:  20191012.4.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  177.7 KB

Shot from the mezzanine overlooking the dining area. You can see from the beam supporting the roof what the boundaries of the future full height glass panels are. I will be using 2.5m high aluminium framed bifolds that meet at the corner.
      When the doors are fully open, there won't be anything obstructing the access to the pond.

I'd have gone for full height bifolds. Then I heard the price lol. 5m high panels need to be custom made to order, and the weight dictates that an electric assist system be used.

The cost of the aluminium and glasswork going into this project (for the whole house) is already high 5 digits. Large format custom panels would take it well past 6.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Omg if money was not an issue build. Reminds me of Stephen's monster build

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Woo been a while. Construction is stalled due to Covid19 matters sadly.

Here's an update from the folk building my drum filters in Germany:

Build is complete, and they are awaiting pickup.

Name:  cklboiaeknmjlmfk.png
Views: 1903
Size:  690.3 KB

Open channel unit with 80cm diameter x 100cm length drum.

Looking pretty. Pity they have to be concealed under the decking.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I really like their drive system. No gears, chain or seals to worry about, and the wearing components are simple to fabricate and replace. The mesh is also completely user replaceable - even with 3rd party components.
      I made an enquiry with Veolia hydrotech, and their replacement panels are literally an arm and a leg and probably a kidney to go.

The motor mounting enclosure is shock mounted and the motor itself is a standard form factor oversized unit that will comfortably handle the job of turning the drum.
      Using a stauff clamp to hold down the spray bar is a nice touch. Everything can be easily replaced if the need arises.

It's really a far cry from the Blue Eco...

Name:  SENECT_Drum_filter_Maintenance_en-1024x548.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  85.1 KB

The Blue Eco still has its charms though. I might pull it from my current pond before the house is sold, and set it up for an aquaculture experiment in the back yard.
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 04-16-2020 at 04:25 AM.

jiawei468 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      I really like their drive system. No gears, chain or seals to worry about, and the wearing components are simple to fabricate and replace. The mesh is also completely user replaceable - even with 3rd party components.
      I made an enquiry with Veolia hydrotech, and their replacement panels are literally an arm and a leg and probably a kidney to go.

The motor mounting enclosure is shock mounted and the motor itself is a standard form factor oversized unit that will comfortably handle the job of turning the drum.
      Using a stauff clamp to hold down the spray bar is a nice touch. Everything can be easily replaced if the need arises.

It's really a far cry from the Blue Eco...

Name:  SENECT_Drum_filter_Maintenance_en-1024x548.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  85.1 KB

The Blue Eco still has its charms though. I might pull it from my current pond before the house is sold, and set it up for an aquaculture experiment in the back yard.
      Very nice looking equipment. Simple and effective. Good buy!

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Finally got government permission to restart work on the house.

Hiccups tho. Most of the workers assigned to me haven't been COVID tested and can't start yet - and even then, only one company can be working onsite at any given time.
      That means the electricals guy can't work at the same time as the windows guys. Needless to say, the pond guys can't come in when any of the other folks doing their thing.

I have a feeling I may not be able to move in this year.

The drum filters were delivered today. I didn't realize how big they actually were until I saw the crates first hand.
      The delivery guy thought that the crates were for a household elevator car

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks for the update...sorry for your delays. We're all as eager as you are to see some progress.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Progress update, with a photo of the basement area, as taken from the pond viewing deck.
      The stairs took a long time fabricating due to the COVID border controls.

Name:  dfpond.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  113.3 KB

We should be getting regulatory approval to occupy the house by Jan 2021.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

This is it folks. Final approval inspection for provisional occupancy of the house is tomorrow. We can then start serious work on finishing up the pond, amongst other things.

I'll get more pictures in.

The drum filters are finally in place. Boy were they hard to get in there. I didn't expect the pumps used for cleaning the drums to weigh 60 pounds each.
      They're huge multistage units.

The pond base still needs contouring towards the bottom drains and a final paint-on membrane coat. It's all flat bare concrete right now.

=
      The main seal on my old Blue Eco RDF finally popped. Gotta get around to rebuilding before handing it to the new owner - the current house and pond's been sold.
      My new place is just down the road so I'll be within arms reach if they need consultation on pond matters haha. I'll probably also do that electronic level sensor conversion I've been putting off so long.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is one of my favorite threads of all time. Level of detail and construction is off the chart. Please keep pics and progress reports coming !

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I'm glad to see an update; looking forward to more.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Moar pics.

The mating surface between the drum filters and the channel will be a single sheet of 316L stainless bolted to the side walls, with rectangular windows cut out for the drum faces.
      This sheet will act as one wall of in-situ formwork for the final concrete fill of the small gap between channel and drum filter.
      Silicone sealant will be used to make the steel-steel interface watertight without making future removal of the filters impossible.

The deck frame is set up so it can all be disassembled without tools for complete open access to the filter.
      The T shaped cross members lift off once the deck panels are taken out.
      The individual deck panels might get a little heavy, but nothing overly crazy for two people to move.

Name:  IMG_0382.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  106.6 KB

The height of the channel between the filters is set so that should one filter stop working for whatever reason, water will overflow over the top into the working channel.
      The state of each filter is independently monitored by checking the height of the water in the channel serving that specific filter. The flush cycle is triggered when the channel water level exceeds a programmed point.
      This allows completely independent operation of each drum filter. By using a thick lexan plate to obstruct the inlet to a filter, I will be able to take it out of commisison for servicing without shutting down the pond.

Name:  IMG_0383.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0384.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  181.9 KB
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 02-26-2021 at 02:47 AM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I am still not sure if I should go with my plans to do a large anoxic filter in the channel leading up to my pumps just below the waterfall.
      Some independent experiments claim to show that biocenosis baskets may not actually be the holy grail they are purported to be.

In any case I do have a massive amount of real estate for just about any kind of submerged media filter in that channel - it seems pretty narrow, but is actually a good 4 feet wide as it undercuts the large planter box.
      Lots of space for kitty litter sacks, or maybe a ton or two of lava rock. Or a big mixing chamber for moving bed media.

There's an oversized bakki shower right at the end of the line that will handle most of the water returning to the pond, so whatever happens with the experiment, there won't be a filtration bottleneck.

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not saying you should do an anoxic filter or not. If anyone can make it work, that would be you. Most hobbyists don't because it is difficult to create such an environment that is large and stable enough for its intended purpose. Do you have a design? How do you plan to keep the sulfites or sulfate byproducts from leaking into the pond?

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Does one employ somebody to maintain the pond, as well as other things around and about?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Incredible

frostbitez is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry is this still anoxic filtration from old days which claiming can reduce nitrate without changing watef?
      If it is, i may suggest dont do anoxic unless changing water is a money problem issue for you (which i dont think so)
      I never like the idea of anoxic filtration for keeping koi
      I think you can never replace good fresh water unless you doing serious mini water processing plant but not with anoxic for sure

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I'm just thinking what to do with that 30 foot long channel between the RDFs and my bio filtration.
      The channel is 100% covered, so I can expect the water to be untainted by particulates on its way to the pumps.

I'm thinking of loading the channel with a fair quantity of lavarock or something similar, suspended over the bottom by a stainless perforated plate. Small diameter airlift pumps on the bottom set in a depression will operate full time to clear any settled mulm, pumping into a return tube that flows back to the RDF. I'll probably be loading the channel with oyster shell chips as well to help with the carbonate consumption.

I don't intend to aerate the loosely packed media, which should result in anoxic conditions deep in the media core that theorectically should support denitrification bugs.
      The flow rate through the channel will be pretty high - maybe as much as 30,000 gph. It's 4 feet wide though, so the water won't exactly be racing through.

The end of the channel houses a set of 3 pumps. Two run a 4-tier double-width bakki shower set, and the other pumps into a large MBBR tank. I've set things up so that the shower can operate independently of the MBBR, in case I need to shut one down for maintenance or medication. The shower is designed so that the tiers can be independently removed for maintenance without tearing down the whole thing. A semi submerged 5th tier doubles as a foam collector.

Shower thoughts: Do you think I should install a dedicated Phoam Phract even though I have a foam separator built into my bakki?

I'm now looking for fabrication services for my shower. I'll attach some drawings in a bit.

For the MBBR, I found a source for German designed Mutag BioChip 30. In the end the stuff is all made in China. It goes for about US$15 a kilo. Cheaper if I buy by the 165kg (363lb) pallet. I don't honestly think I will need 165kg of MBBR media though. Maybe I should resell the stuff here haha. The local shops are always out of stock, or else they have K1/3 knockoffs with questionable finish (fixed easily with PP etching. Lots of work etching a lot of media tho. PP at etching concentration is dangerous).

Here's a question for the MBBR gurus... Is it a bad thing to have too much MBBR media?
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 03-11-2021 at 03:39 AM.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Does one employ somebody to maintain the pond, as well as other things around and about?
      I do have a live-in helper to help out with basic housework. Nothing to do with the pond tho - maybe save for holding down the wastewater hose when I am pumping stuff out so it doesn't flail around and get fishy water everywhere.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast