• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks rcmike! I hope that you can get those unusual clownfish going again. I do not remember the name, but they were different.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today marks the first day of July. For many people this means that the summer school break is about half over. People are trying to cram in as much activities as they can before school starts back, so the roads are crowded. This is what many call summer, although the calendar marks it differently.
      Isn't that a lot like our "ponding" season? We look at the dates on the calendar but we really can't depend on it for warmth or cold. For those of you with pond plants, your tropcal plants have maybe started blooming, and you hope they continue to bloom for a while longer. Unfortunately, about the time you get used to seeing those pretty blooms in the pond, it starts turning cold and you start seeing less blooms. Even the hardy blooms which had filled the pond earlier would have slowed back. That is the vicious cycle we face!
      I had a friend come by yesterday and got some Euryale Ferox plants. I hope they do well for him. The plants are already covered with the sharp needles, but they are really neat to see. You just have to becareful handling them. They should have time to grow and produce blooms for seeds for next year's plants.
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

The heat and humidity has caused us to have to quit work in the greenhouse after lunch, and even outside much after that. Taking pics of the lilies is also cut back because of the heat. when it is still cool in the mornings, there are other things that i need to get done so no time for photos. I di take a couple this morning. one was of the newly acquired Dallas, a hardy lily that has a nice red bloom. The other plant that I took a pic of the bloom is the night blooming tropical, Red Cup. Both are beautiful, and bright red!

I had another large order for lilies from a wholesale buyer. This year has been good for them because they have been ordering plants almost every week. They do not have a lot of space for pond plants so they have to get a few at a time. They usually only have room for about 45 marginals, 12 lilies, and a hundred water hyacinths and 50 water lettuce. They have been selling out of lilies every weekend. I attribute this to the heat tht we have been having, causing the plants to grow fuller and healthier.

I have moved the tropical fish from out of the aquariums and put them in the kiddie ponds in the gh. The ponds are on the ground so they stay cooler. They should do well with larger amounts of surface water and larger base room to swim in. Catching them in the fall to put them back in the aquariums will not be easy, but the kiddie ponds are not heated, and the water will get too cold for them and they would die. oh well, thats part of keeping them.

Happy "pond"ering!
      Attached Images Attached Images   

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Star light, star bright, it sure is hot tonight! That is what I thought last night when I saw that it was 85* at 8:30. I skipped the fireworks in favor of air conditioning!

It has been too hot to work in the greenhouse, so I have been working more in the tubs and in the outside ponds. For anyone who noticed on my 4th of July thread yesterday, one of the plants that is pictured there is one of my new lilies, Ruby! The islamorada was also blooming. It is pictured below. Now awaiting the others to bloom! There are a few other pics for you to enjoy as well.

Too tired to write much tonight so I will say happy "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 07-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Cool

As throughout the country, it is hot. Enough said!

I was told yesterday that at a park within 5 or 6 miles from me they did tests and one of the tests showed they found the West Nile virus. I don't think anyone has been tested positive for it, but in water tests they evidently found mosquito larvae carrying the virus. The person telling me about it did not have all of the details. Because of that discovery, the person relaying the info to me said that they were told they will be testing waterways, etc. within 5 a mile radius. That may include me. I have not seen any mosquito larvae in any of my tubs or ponds so i m not concerned if they should want to test here. i have mentioned here before that i use Dipel to kill the Chin Marker moth larvae known commonly as "sandwich man." It also kills the mosquito larvae.

With the heat and rain, I am not sure what has brought it about, but the worms are starting to appear. I had dusted with Dipel a couple of months ago, but did not dust everything at that time because the tropical lilies had not been planted out, as well as many of the Aussies. I went out early this morning and dusted everything to kill the sandwich man worms that have showed up on these newly planted plants, as well as dusted again everything previously dusted to make sure that we do not have anything holding water that might have mosquito larvae in it. i hate mosquito bites, and certainly do not want the West Nile virus.

While I was doing the dusting I had my helper go through the buckets containing tropical lily tubers that were not sprouted on previous inspections. She found 12-15 bags of tubers with at least one sprouted tuber. Some of the ones found today were varieties we had not found sprouted tubers before so it made it an exciting morning.

I took some pics after i finished dusting so ignore the white stuff on the pads and water. The second pic is Da La Rosa, an Aussie hybrid created by Marie Fisher.

Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Very pretty blooms I had 3 today one of which I must have missed yesterday because with all this heat and rain drizzles it looked cooked but it was its first bloom
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Here are a few more blooms from today. The third pic is of Peachglow and it was almost closed when I took the pic, but I liked the color of the blooms.
      Last edited by matherfish; 07-10-2018 at 10:06 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Yesterday morning a friend and I had arrange to meet to trade some of her excess koi for some of my pond plants, so we met here at 9 am. I had had two customers recently loose their fish and so both wanted to replace them with new fish. One was gone camping for the weekend only to come home and find his pump had gone out and all but 2 of his fish had died. The other I am not sure what happened. Things happen sometimes, and most all of us know this.
      I do not sell fish as a rule, even pond grade, because I am not set up to do it. I have a large pond with two sections and I have fish in them for my enjoyment, but I would have to drain the ponds to get the fish out, and each one is about 3500 gallons. Needless to say, I do not sell fish.
      I do have a couple of 300 gallon ponds that I keep some fish in for such circumstances as has happened. I have some comet goldfish in the one pond, and a few 8" koi in the other. I gave the two friends the koi I had, and they each wanted a few more, so that is why I got these yesterday. I can give each customer a couple more, and still have 3 or 4 in case i need them for someone else. You never know. I have plenty of plants so trading some for fish worked out great for all of us. They are not quality fish in some ways, but they are healthy, and what the customers wanted, and all but the one pictured are longfins, which are my favorites.
      I acquired four more aquariums yesterday as well. I think once people find out you have a few aquariums they notice they have one sitting around and think you might take it and they can get rid of it that way. A neighbor had died on Jan. 1 and his nephew was cleaning out his house and found 2 ten gallon and 1 30 gallon aquariums and offered them to me. No accessories were with them, but who can't use spare aquariums? So I took them. I will have to clean them as they have set in a dirt floor cellar for what appears to be a long time, and also fill them so that I can make sure they do not leak, but I will have some more places to "store" some plants over the winter.
      Obviously, I am "pond"ering winter. The grandkids are already talking about going back to school, the stores are running bck to school sales, and I am regretfully thinking of winter. I am not thinking of it much, mind you, but it has started crossing my mind. When you have a lot to do to prepare for it it will cross your mind earlier than you want it to. In the meantime I am enjoying seeing all of the beautiful blooms and greenery!
      Keep on "pond"ering summer for a little while longer at least.

― Zig Ziglar

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by matherfish View Post
      The heat and humidity has caused us to have to quit work in the greenhouse after lunch, and even outside much after that. Taking pics of the lilies is also cut back because of the heat. when it is still cool in the mornings, there are other things that i need to get done so no time for photos. I di take a couple this morning. one was of the newly acquired Dallas, a hardy lily that has a nice red bloom. The other plant that I took a pic of the bloom is the night blooming tropical, Red Cup. Both are beautiful, and bright red!

I had another large order for lilies from a wholesale buyer. This year has been good for them because they have been ordering plants almost every week. They do not have a lot of space for pond plants so they have to get a few at a time. They usually only have room for about 45 marginals, 12 lilies, and a hundred water hyacinths and 50 water lettuce. They have been selling out of lilies every weekend. I attribute this to the heat tht we have been having, causing the plants to grow fuller and healthier.

I have moved the tropical fish from out of the aquariums and put them in the kiddie ponds in the gh. The ponds are on the ground so they stay cooler. They should do well with larger amounts of surface water and larger base room to swim in. Catching them in the fall to put them back in the aquariums will not be easy, but the kiddie ponds are not heated, and the water will get too cold for them and they would die. oh well, thats part of keeping them.

Happy "pond"ering!
      I like them. I dont have any night bloomers I should have gotten a red cup. Red Flare was one of my favorites
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I like night bloomers because the colors are strong. They usually stay open until 9 or 10 in the morning here, and open after dinner. I did not take pics but on Friday morning of this week I had blooms of 5 varieties of night blooming lilies open. I will try and get pics this week.
      Last edited by matherfish; 07-15-2018 at 02:02 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

I noticed the night bloomer we have was blooming this morning. I should have gotten a picture but I was too busy getting the swing out of the pond that got blown in during this morning's storm. I think it's possibly a red flare but I can't remember. That's the only one that's name sounds familiar to me. I might have a tag somewhere if I can find it.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Yesterday's rain and thunderstorms cooled things down for the day, but they also brought up the humidity. This morning it s a sauna, especially in the gh as the temperatures climb, but the plants are loving it. Welcome to summer!
      This morning I noticed that very few tropical lilies had opened early, so I decide it was a good time to take pics of the hardy lilies on parade! The colors were stunning, and most of the blooms were pink or red. I am posting lots of hardy pics so that you can see the intensity in the blooms, as well as a pic of a night bloomer and a purple blooming tropical as well as a white hardy, just to sweeten the bouquet!
      I am going to do a water change in one of the 300 gallon ponds in the greenhouse. The pond s pretty green as we had taken the plants out of it for a while and have just let it sit. It has koi in it now so i need to get it in better condition. I also plan on doing a water change in the axolotl aquarium.
      Enjoy the pics!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

And some more!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

And one more, the night bloomer!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

It stormed last night and this afternoon here. It was 96* and high humidity when I last looked about an hour ago, 2:30 central time. Not hard to work up a sweat.
      I have been pondering why so many people are afraid to try something new. I know sometimes the cost is prohibitive, but sometimes it is just because we are afraid to try something different. We want whatever we have in the past or someone else we know has had.
      I am that way with foods. I am not one to try exotic foods. I have tried many things and did not like them and do not want to try them again. Some foods, like insects, squirrel brains, chitterlings, opossum, chocolate covered ants, etc. I will not try. I am happy for others who like them to eat all they want, including my share. There are things that once we try them we might like them, but there are some things I just will not try.
      But I see plants differently. i am not going to eat them, or even taste them. If the plant looks nice to me, then I will buy it and take the challenge to raise it. i have lost plants before, and the world did not end. I have not had the opportunity to have a plant that is the only one left in the world, so I do not have the burden of making sure it survives. I do have some varieties of lilies that are that way, but there re others very similar so if I lose it, it is not tragedy. I see it as a plant, and try to learn what I can about it to grow it successfully. Some plants, however, just do not appeal to me. I guess that is how we are all different. "Different strokes for different folks."
      Okay, so I may be rambling, but what else do you do on a hot sweltering day? I have worked all morning in the heat, and this afternoon so far, so i am now sitting down to rest. Also listening to the thunder roll as another wave of storms move in.
      Happy "pond'ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I am confident that many of you are sitting by your ponds this time of the year, relaxing and enjoying your pond. It is now in routine maintenance and does not require much work. What is on your mind as you ponder the beauty of nature? Do you have small fry from spawns? Can you tell how much your fish have grown this year? Are you enjoying the beauty of your blooms in your yard, and in your ponds? Isn't "pond"ering wonderful?
      Many of you know that I have several varieties of taros, and I post pics on occasions. What you may not know is that taros do bloom. Most people never notice them but the taro does have a bloom, and it is not tiny. The picture below is of the bloom of a Thailand Giant. Graycat has a picture of a different taro bloom on her thread. You can see it at https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...24#post2681224, pic 14
      Lots of blooms again today, including some blooms from recent released to the market hybrids. But the older released varieties are also holding their own in the beauty contest. They all make beautiful pictures.
      This past week, the yellow blooming H X T has been blooming faithfully. This one is pale yellow and hard to get a pic that does not make it look white. i managed to get a pic of it yesterday afternoon so am posting it.
      If you re also reading my thread you might want to know that I have turned the plants upright, as well as drenched the other pots that were not left over night in the pond with the Dipel solution. The plants were well rooted, so the soil did not wash out into the pond. Hopefully this will kill off the canna roller worms.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-worm-or-borer
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

It's Friday!! But the ponds do not know that. Still some things to do even if it is the weekend or a holiday. Maybe the pond is like a child, constant supervision and constant enjoyment!
      Today has been spent with a lot of tie on the computer. Listing plants to sell, updating information and checking inventory takes time. it is cooler to be in the house working on the computer than it is to be outside working or in the greenhouse working. Thinking ("pond"ering ) about these things reminded me of how much different things are today versus 10-15 years ago. Remember when we had notebooks, spiral or loose leaf, that we would write everything down in and keep our records in? Journals or logs or records were there for us to go back and look up information or review. How much more convenient it is now to have it on a computer or a memory stick that enables us to locate information much easier. No more stacks of notebooks with their dates of information listed. There are a lot of things that I miss from the "old days," but that is not one.
      I mentioned a couple of months back that I was going to get some axolotls to raise. When I got them they were from 1.5 inches to 2 inches in length. They are now 5-7 inches. Do you agree that these are cute faces?
      A few more bloom pics also.
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

A few lily pics!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
      Gang aft agley,
      -Robert Burns-

You are on your way to a very nice pond. Doing even part of it yourself will be rewarding, seeing what you invested your time, sweat, and money into. The nce thing about a pond is that you will enjoy it for years to come. Will you post some pics of your progress along the way? We would love to see them.
      Last edited by matherfish; 07-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

With the invention of the internet, there is a plethora of information available to us on our phones, tablets and computers. We can check facts, gain understanding, see pictures for identification, and share information. The web is full of opinions, ideas, promotion, and concepts. My "pond"ering for today is to remind me and you to use the web wisely. i have "bought' false stories and have learned to be aware of such. most re innocent, others can be dangerous. The latest one, concerns the childhood game "tag." The question is asked "How old were you when you learned that game 'tag' is the acronym for 'touch and go?'" The answer given is " I was 'now' old." It makes the reader feel a little ignorant because they did not know this. The truth is, the word tag is not an acronym according to any etymology done.

Often people ask what is this, or how do I deal with this, or what is the cause of this, and we give our "opinions." Opinions can be based upon studies we have done, things we have read or been told, or by personal experience. Whenever I think about this (ponder, if your will) I am remember that a doctor's work is not called a business, but a practice. There are many factors involved in diagnosing problems and prescribing treatment that medicine is not an exact science. Decisions are made upon symptoms, and knowledge, but each patient is different, and may react differently.

My opinions are my opinions from reading, studying, personal experiences, as well as interacting with others. When people ask, I give them my honest opinion. i hope they realize it is an opinion. If I am not given all of the facts, or misunderstand the facts, or I may miss a fact, my opinion may not be accurate in that circumstance. Overall, I hope to be of help the majority of the time.

This thread is about how I do things in my ponds and in my greenhouse. I sell enough plants to help pay for my help and expenses, or maybe not lose as much. It is not for my income. This is my "hobby" and I enjoy it. I want others to enjoy it, to want to be involved in it, and to share our experiences. I hope this thread promotes this philosophy.

Is this "deep" "pond"ering?
      Last edited by matherfish; 07-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast