• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Asagi

57vert is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Asagi

Here's an Asagi I purchased a year ago at ~12". Yes the pictures aren't up to standard for this section of the forum, but give me your best judgement.

The last attachment is a movie showing this same fish a year later at 18". Worse quality than the pictures. Will try and get a better photo of the fish now, but I hate to stress my fish netting them.

For education purposes, please judge on the year old pictures without looking at the video. Then assess....what you can from the video. The reason for this is so forum readers can get educated on what to look for, and you can say, "see I told you," or "wow I didn't expect that". I've been spending a lot of time lately going through this section of the forum for educational purposes.

Name:  IMG_0234.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0236.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0230.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  132.5 KB

Video: Asagi at approximately the 1:00 mark.

https://youtu.be/wb3Eyw5Tb-U

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's very difficult to do any type of assessment with those pictures and the video my apologies.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

While I agree with your comments about the pic/video quality, it appears to be a decent Asagi. It did get dark quite quickly though, but it still appears to have somewhat clean head and there's no intrusion of the beni above the later line based on what I could see.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

57vert is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      While I agree with your comments about the pic/video quality, it appears to be a decent Asagi. It did get dark quite quickly though, but it still appears to have somewhat clean head and there's no intrusion of the beni above the later line based on what I could see.
      An attempt at a better photo of now. Are asagis fast growers? Is 12" to 18" about right for one year of growth?

Name:  IMG_1157.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  158.5 KB

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Usually, they are somewhat fast growers, but it depends on genetics and the quality of the water they're kept in. Your stocking density appears quite high, so the result is a bit less than "great" but still acceptable for one year.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

6" growth is More avg but well for asagi, how about other varieties in your pond. My record was 9" to 20" with optimal husbandry
      M.Nguyen

57vert is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      6" growth is More avg but well for asagi, how about other varieties in your pond. My record was 9" to 20" with optimal husbandry
      I had one kohaku grow from 11" to 19" and another grow from 11" to 16".

My gin ki Showa grew from 11" to 15"

My two Sankes grew from 16" to 20", but they were really skinny when I got them and they really bulked up.

A showa grew from 11" to 16".

I am quite happy with the growth, especially considering I'm up in the Northeast and our growth season is pretty short. None of these are "show quality". Several are Kodama auction fish from good breeders, but have a flaw or two which made them affordable for me.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Cool... that seem to be good range for growth. Enjoy
      M.Nguyen

Spartan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You've done a very good job growing it out, I would say. As to the quality there are some issues. The blue /gray scales lack edge definition (there's a Japanese term for this that escapes me at the moment). Ideally you want the scalation to have a net like appearance. The hi has stayed well below the lateral line and that is good. It will progress upwards as time goes by. The head should be much brighter white; this has a grayish tone to it. The body conformation looks good. IME all but the very best seem to be more slender than a gosanke. My prediction is the blue gray will darken much more over the next couple years and the orange will rise to meet it at the lateral line and perhaps further above. While this wont be a champion by any means, that contrast between the blue grey back and bright lower body orange will be very pleasing to look at. Do not let perfectionist comments detract from your enjoyment!

57vert is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
      You've done a very good job growing it out, I would say. As to the quality there are some issues. The blue /gray scales lack edge definition (there's a Japanese term for this that escapes me at the moment). Ideally you want the scalation to have a net like appearance. The hi has stayed well below the lateral line and that is good. It will progress upwards as time goes by. The head should be much brighter white; this has a grayish tone to it. The body conformation looks good. IME all but the very best seem to be more slender than a gosanke. My prediction is the blue gray will darken much more over the next couple years and the orange will rise to meet it at the lateral line and perhaps further above. While this wont be a champion by any means, that contrast between the blue grey back and bright lower body orange will be very pleasing to look at. Do not let perfectionist comments detract from your enjoyment!
      Thanks for the comment. I was/am looking to get beat up, I've got thick skin! If I wasn't I wouldn't have posted in this section. Just looking to learn. I envy, maybe respect is a better word, those that can afford top-tier, show quality fish. I am very happy with my fish. Does my kohaku have a shimmy? That's okay. Does my Sanke have some secondary hi? Is there some hi in the pectoral fin of my showa? Ya, those demerits are what made these otherwise really nice fish affordable to me. Hell, my wife puts up with more demerits than that from me, haha!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007