• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deepwater Koi's Gravity Fed Zakki Shower

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yes i would only use it after an RDF. I wouldn't want water hitting the *clogged rio* (and by clogged i mean clogged via bio buildup) with no where to go and backing up or going over the side and missing all 4 layers.
      best
      -ben

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      yes i would only use it after an RDF. I wouldn't want water hitting the *clogged rio* (and by clogged i mean clogged via bio buildup) with no where to go and backing up or going over the side and missing all 4 layers.
      This would be a problem if it were to happen, but I doubt it would unless it was getting dirty water. We are trying to create a thin layer of bacteria on the media so we are spreading the water out over a greater surface at the top to keep those colonies thin. It is the same principle I used with Cermedia and it worked very well. If you try to make the media do too much work, then you will get a thick bacteria colony which is not good.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a video I shot a while ago and forgot to make public...

This is the same G-Shower as at the beginning of this thread but it was modified to work with the Rio Shower Media and is flowing around 6300 GPH.

I am in the process of working out my first stocking order of the Rio Media and hopefully I have a bunch of this stuff at my warehouse in a week or two.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Zac I've been using a piece of the Rio media and it seems pretty good. The water is still flowing nicely through the media. I'll try to post a video of how much water the media retains also.

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Hey Zac,

How well does your floating weir scale up? Will it work ok if it spanned say 55 inches across?
      I need a weir constructed for my filter channel, and I was thinking that maybe I could get a kit from you. The float is easy enough to put together from stainless rod and a some capped PVC pipe.
      Engineering the weir plate and the waterproofing clamps on the other hand is a bit beyond me.

The weir will be for controlling flow through a large 800 micron sieve screen to remove leaves and other large debris from the water before it hits my RDFs.

Of course we do need to consider if 55" might be a little wide for international shipment via standard pallet. Perhaps the weir could be fabricated in two halves and joined together.
      Depending on how I construct the sieve stage, the weir may need to be as wide as 70". 55" is more likely at this point as I need to allocate space to a waste collection chamber.

I'm also going to need a few open top Zakki manifolds made for the bio stage. I'll send you more details once I have final details on the waterfall dimensions, behind which the zakkis will be hidden.

==

Channelized sieve concept.. a no-niche flanged skimmer with the float removed is mounted into the waste collector serves to capture stuff that shouldn't go down the sewer. The basket will be modified so it has a permanent handle for ease of access. My new pond will be extensively planted along the edge, and heavy leaf fall needs to be handled. Bamboo especially is notorious for shedding...

Name:  sievechannel.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  sievechanneltop.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  17.4 KB
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 03-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

I am guessing this will be a concrete poured chamber so you could drop my weir frame into the wet concrete to create a watertight seal between the frame and the concrete? If so then I would not be able to do this in a modular way without you having to glue things together on your end and i would have to way over build the connecting flange in order to have the strength for a long span like this. The force in the middle of the spillway is quite substantial so it needs to be very strong. The widest I have made so far is for a 48" wide G-Shower so i am sure i can increase the material thickness and gain another foot of width if needed. If we are shipping Zakki Distribution Manifolds as well then you can at least distribute the costs out over multiple items instead of the single weir. E-mail me the details when you have everything put together. Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Cheers Zac.

I am trying to avoid pressing stuff into concrete. As far as possible I will use stainless steel rectangular profiles or L beams for mounting anything that might need replacement. Silicone sealant will provide waterproofing in key areas.

Once the channel takes shape, and exact dimensions are better known, I will get some detailed drawings shared.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123