• Tired
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: DIY RDF "2.0", The Beast

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Due to a screw-up on my part, my drum isn't properly aligned with its matching inlet port and would be a real pain to fix. It was so much work building it the first time that I don't feel motivated to tear into it. The offset causes the sliding seal to not work quite right, such that some algae makes its way around the screen. I haven't worried about it until now, but a shower filter is being considered. As far as I can tell, anything short of really clean water's going to result in the shower media getting clogged, so I'm not sure I'm there currently.

i can tell you even the best commercial rdf made for ponds have debris that get by the seal. i would not consider it the end of the world is some debris gets by the seal.
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Ronfire is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just an idea, if the drum is a larger diameter with solid sides except for a small section in the center to let in 1- 4" pipe for in feed and a 2" or 3" debris drain then it would eliminate the need for a seal.
      Might be harder for maintenance but if you had a removable section of screen for access as in some of the commercial units it could eliminate the seal requirement.
      A 20" drum with a 7" opening in the center would leave 6" for water level and 1/2 to spare. Would that give enough scree to filter with?
      Also you could then do a partial rotation for cleaning at a slow rotation and expose a clear section for filtering.Would take some programming to set the rotation rinse setting but an Arduino should be able to work.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thought of that; the problem is getting the debris in the tray out of the unit. I agree that for really large units, that's the way to do it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
      i can tell you even the best commercial rdf made for ponds have debris that get by the seal. i would not consider it the end of the world is some debris gets by the seal.
      Understood; it's just that what I see getting by is a bit too much if it's going to feed a shower. The unit was modified to use a different type of seal, so we'll see how that goes over the next several days.
      Last edited by kimini; 08-25-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Ronfire is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Kimini, was putting the idea out for others to try on another build. The tray could be elevated with a drain to the center of the drum, 4" feed in line on one side and a 4" debris drain line out the other. The feed and drain pipes could be used as an axle center shaft as well. Might even be able to find a seal that fits the pipe. Would have to make a removable screen section in the drum for cleaning out string algae.
      Last edited by Ronfire; 08-25-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Zoki51 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ronfire View Post
      Hi Kimini, was putting the idea out for others to try on another build. The tray could be elevated with a drain to the center of the drum, 4" feed in line on one side and a 4" debris drain line out the other. The feed and drain pipes could be used as an axle center shaft as well. Might even be able to find a seal that fits the pipe. Would have to make a removable screen section in the drum for cleaning out string algae.
      What are you talking about?
      Zoran

There is no delight in owning anything unshared
      "We believe .....that the person who says that "nothing comes for free"
      knows absolutely nothing about the power and strength of human kindness"

< My album

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
      Awesome project! Thanks for sharing.

There was a time not so long ago when I would have been tempted to take on a design/build like this. But frankly, every time you post an update I feel better and better about my decision to pop for the ProfiDrum!
      That’s an awesome diy filtration system. That might just barely fit into my 1000 gallon raised pond lol. My koi would literally live inside the filter 😂

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, this is a tough post to write, but when I created this thread, it was to show the good - and bad - so people could learn. The bitter pill is that I've decided to replace the RDF due to its debris leak paths that are deemed too difficult to correct in a timely fashion.

As Zac Penn once said, without cutting parts via CNC, it's very difficult to ensure a perfect fit and seal. It's that, but also the underlying design. For example, I made the drum inlet the same size as the outer housing port, the one that the sliding seal mounts to. This means that the seal has no tension to keep it tight. The drum inlet needs to be maybe 1/2" smaller in diameter but I was able to fix the seal and expected that to be the end of the problems.

Unfortunately, debris is still getting through. I know this because I have course screens on the outlet ports which keep moving-bed media from back-flowing into the RDF. Even at 1/4", they slowly collect little bits of debris, so there's still a leak path. I suspect it's how the stainless screen is held against the drum by the large stainless grid. Even though it's tight, there are still places where the screen is not hard up against the drum for whatever reason. Little telltale signs of algae tell that's the likely debris path.

This can certainly be addressed, but the problem is the time it'll take, during which the system is down. If I were retired, I'd be looking forward to getting it sorted, but as it stands, I'm very likely to eat my pride and purchase a commercially-made unit. In hindsight, getting an RDF to work perfectly the first time may be a bridge too far. I know exactly how I'd make the second (third?) one, which I'm confident wouldn't have any issue, but my schedule and time at this point in my life don't allow that. I learned a lot and regardless of what's purchased, I'll know dang well I'll be able to fix it!

Onward and upward.
      Last edited by kimini; 09-19-2018 at 04:29 PM.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Which brand have you decided purchase?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Sorry to hear kimini, but I totally understand the thought process. I've learned a lot through
      your thread and just wanted to give you kudos for sharing it with us.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Which brand have you decided purchase?
      The brand that I don't read any complaints about... other than the spectacular thread we had here about a year ago, but I don't count that as valid - Profidrum. It's also because in all the pictures I've seen of it, I always think that's how I'd do it if building the next version.
      Last edited by kimini; 09-19-2018 at 09:48 PM.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      The brand that I don't read any complaints about... other than the spectacular thread we had here about a year ago, but I don't count that as valid - Profidrum. It's also because in all the pictures I've seen of it, I always think that's how I'd do it if building the next version.
      Red Label's got a lot of initial good press, but we still haven't seen anyone post a detailed review . I think price is supposed to be less than Profi.

Riftlake is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the seal leakage, but seeing how much you have put into this build it won't surprise me if eventually you wind up giving it a go at resolving the problem. I know that sometimes when I step back from something I'm really burnt out from struggling with, I'll come back after awhile and come up with a solution. Which ever direction you decide on, I hope it comes to satisfaction for you. I really do appreciate you sharing your build with us, including the problems. You have pointed out potential problems to think about as I work on my own RDF build, and hopefully I have focused enough effort on solving these issues. I have to thank you, and all the other good folks that have freely shared information and their builds with us. To me, that is what makes Koiphen a great forum.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

That’s a bummer.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415