• Tired

Thread: Mud pond -size questions

yenling29 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mud pond -size questions

As you can see, Newbie here:

Seems like the ultimate environment to gain length and girth with Koi are large mud ponds like the one's Professional breeders in Japan use.

I have a few questions about this scenario-

You start with a Kohaku tosai and grow it in a mud pond for 5 seasons, now instead of the mud pond you grew the same fish in a professionally constructed 15,000 gallon cement pond.

Of course there are a million variables here that make it difficult. Let's assume the mud pond is managed by a top Japanese professional and the cement pond is managed by one of the top American professionals.

Questions:
      -Would the mud pond or cement pond produce better results-(i'm guessing mud pond)

-Could the cement pond fish ever catch up to the mud pond fish-in length and width? Assuming same environment after years in the mud or cement pond (i'm guessing no)

-Is this statement true-If you want the largest possible fish for its type/variety, its probably spent time in a mud pond.

-Growing in smaller sized cement ponds, what size in relationship to the same mud pond fish could you get? Say for example 70% length, but only 60% girth?

-Do you know what fish in mud ponds eat? What percentage is natural occurring food in pond and what food is given to the fish?

-Do you know what type of maintenance is done to a mud pond during the growing season?

Really appreciate it!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Haab is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Yenling29
      I dont have the answers to your questions. But if I wanted to grow koi as big and fast as possible, I would use a (heated) cement pond. In my mudpond there are to many things I can not controll

Subscribe to my YouTube-channel - "The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond"

The journey continues, now with a massive upgrade of the pond and its surroundings, and the arrival of new tosai in 2017

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

You can do very well in a cement pond. Koi produce a stop grow hormone. You can defeat this by using a flow through system. A continuous flow of fresh water coming in. Purdind's Koi Farm in Louisiana do a lot of grow out in cement ponds and produce very nice and yes very large Koi. Check out Purdin Koi Farm on youtube.

Z71mds is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My spring feed flow through pond is 60x30x7 and it has 11 Koi in it. Its important to have your pond at least 6" deep so the fish can dive and avoid Blue Heron stalking. I have stocked my pond for 10 years and never lost a fish.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007