• Tired

Thread: Intex swimming pool for koi

Joel143 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Intex swimming pool for koi

Hello everyone,

Been a while since I've been on here so a lot of catching up on reading. I have a question concerning intex swimming pools. I know they can be used for koi/goldfish with no problems. My question is would a setup in an intex pool be ok during winter? I've started on my inground/above ground pond but due to an unforeseen surgery I will not be able to finish in time for winter (surgery and the medical costs). I'm in southern Louisiana and we do get down below freezing but usually lasting a day or two when it will get back up in the 30's and low 40's. I have both goldfish (watonai) and some small koi (between 4 and 6 in). About 15 in total. The watonai I had in a 300 gal cattle trough last winter with no problems. I bought a second 300 trough which is being used as a skippy for the pool along with other filtration which will be used on the pond. Possibly over filtration on the pool with the skippy, a large pressure filter and trickle filter. If need be and the intex will not be ok during the winter I can set up one of the 300 gal troughs again like before. I was just concerned about having 15 fish in 300 gals even just over winter.

Any suggestions please. I know with the intex the walls would just let the cold chill up the water just that much faster. I do have a lot of bubble wrap I can put on the outside walls. Don't know just need ideas and suggestions please.

Joel
      WATONAILOVER

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First suggestion....join the Deep South Koi and Pond Society. http://shesplayingkoi.wix.com/deep-south-koi they should be able to provide lots of local tips and advice.

The Intex pool should be fine with good filtration. Be sure to clean the pool before adding fish. You should be able to drape the entire pond, filter, and pump in a clear pool cover (heavy duty bubble wrap). You can also put in one or more titanium 200 watt heaters that should be able to keep temps at or above 50F. http://pentairaes.com/200-w-30.html

I did similar when we moved our koi from Dallas TX to Atlanta. The koi were in a tank on the back patio through our first winter. We get much colder and for longer than you do in along I-10.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
      First suggestion....join the Deep South Koi and Pond Society. http://shesplayingkoi.wix.com/deep-south-koi they should be able to provide lots of local tips and advice.

The Intex pool should be fine with good filtration. Be sure to clean the pool before adding fish. You should be able to drape the entire pond, filter, and pump in a clear pool cover (heavy duty bubble wrap). You can also put in one or more titanium 200 watt heaters that should be able to keep temps at or above 50F. http://pentairaes.com/200-w-30.html

I did similar when we moved our koi from Dallas TX to Atlanta. The koi were in a tank on the back patio through our first winter. We get much colder and for longer than you do in along I-10.
      I do have two large titanium heaters I used last winter which I planned on using. Is the heat exchange really that great I wonder through the intex walls losing heat in winter? I think what I might do also (worse case) is set up one of the 300 gal troughs in my greenhouse. Its unheated but would give protection from the wind. I think I would feel more at ease having a back up just in case. I know goldfish and koi don't eat much if at all when the temp starts getting really low. 15 fish in 300 gals with great filtration I would think be ok during the winter. I'd just hate to move them from where their at. Our winters have been so strange below freezing one day and within two days back up in the 50's. Winter of 2014 here we had two bad days with ice; down in the high teens. But shortly after shot back up to the mid to high 40's.

I will take your advice though and use the heaters along with pool cover and will wrap outside in bubble wrap. I just want to sleep better knowing I have a back up just in case with the 300 gal set up in the greenhouse.

Again thanks for the advice. I will also look in to the koi society you mentioned.
      WATONAILOVER

Koilito is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
      Be sure to clean the pool before adding fish.
      I have wondered about this. Ive heard those above ground "pools" can sometimes be coated with algae preventive type chemicals. Im not sure the truth in that but I will probably need to use a little inflatable pool/raft in the near future to hold some water and fish for a very short period of time and was wondering the best way to "clean" the pool/raft type reservoir.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I've only used Intex brand pools (3 of them) and have never done any more than hose it down a little to remove
      dust and any plastic from the manufacturing process. The little cheaper ones I doubt have anything applied to them
      as it'd be one more thing to eat into the company's profit margin. If it specifically says it has algae inhibitors you might
      treat with potassium permanganate... a raft I'd be more leery of just because it wasn't designed to have water in it.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You might check Home Depot or similar for insulation ideas. I use sheets of insulation that are a sandwich of foil on both sides with bubbles or foam in the middle. Also, if you can rig up something to insulate on the bottom, that will help. Styrofoam sheets taped together?

Question about the titanium heaters, as I'm looking to upgrade my QT collection of mickey mouse aquarium heaters: the Finnex websites says the warranty on their titanium heaters is voided if used in garage or outdoor applications. I'm not so concerned about the warranty, but is there some reason not to use these outdoors, assuming electrical connections are sheltered? Finnex makes up to an 800w unit, btw -- I haven't priced it but description says it heats ~ 100-250 gallons.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      You might check Home Depot or similar for insulation ideas. I use sheets of insulation that are a sandwich of foil on both sides with bubbles or foam in the middle. Also, if you can rig up something to insulate on the bottom, that will help. Styrofoam sheets taped together?

Question about the titanium heaters, as I'm looking to upgrade my QT collection of mickey mouse aquarium heaters: the Finnex websites says the warranty on their titanium heaters is voided if used in garage or outdoor applications. I'm not so concerned about the warranty, but is there some reason not to use these outdoors, assuming electrical connections are sheltered? Finnex makes up to an 800w unit, btw -- I haven't priced it but description says it heats ~ 100-250 gallons.
      graybird,

I'm using two Catalina RF-1000T Heat Controller and 1000 watt Titanium Heater that I got on amazon. Just checked and theres some. I paid roughly $130 for each of mine. I used them this past winter each in a 300 gal trough. The only thing I added to them was the controller. I forgot where I got it online but I purchased a digital controller to replace the controller that comes with the heater.
      WATONAILOVER

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks!
      Mary

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by permissionhole View Post
      so I saw this Intex Above Ground Pool the other day and it had me thinking (which is always dangerous) could I use it for fish? the linear looks to be even more sturdy then pond liner but I'm not a hundred percent positive. dose anyone have pools for there fish?
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

Do you have a link or a picture? Intex makes several different models. Some work better than others.

I used one for years in my garage as a quarantine tank. It did start to rot after about 8 years but that was not exposed to the weather.
      Outdoors they usually won't last as long but it worked great short term.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

carperama is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I've only used Intex brand pools (3 of them) and have never done any more than hose it down a little to remove
      dust and any plastic from the manufacturing process. The little cheaper ones I doubt have anything applied to them
      as it'd be one more thing to eat into the company's profit margin. If it specifically says it has algae inhibitors you might
      treat with potassium permanganate... a raft I'd be more leery of just because it wasn't designed to have water in it.
      I have a new 18' above ground pool which might have manufacturing residue on the flooring since it's slippery. I read this is normal for the pool liner but would it be a good guess to add potassium permanganate for 4 hours? Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007