• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Victoria 'Longwood Hybrid' Seed

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Victoria 'Longwood Hybrid' Seed

The pods are swelling and once again, I am able to offer 'Longwood Hybrid' seed to anyone wanting to try your hand at growing this wonder. If those in northern areas may want to consider the project; I know of successful blooms this season in Minnesota and Chicago and it wasn't a particularly warm summer. I know it is early, but there are reasons for that and the seed won't be mailed to you until probably February some time.

So PM me if you are interested....and I suggest you do so early, rather than later, as the amount available is always limited.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Clowry453 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was searching on Google for Victoria Longwood and saw this old forum posting. I used to grow Victoria seeds which I would get from Kitt Knotts each winter. I was usually successful in getting a few to grow into maturity each year. Once she stopped her seed giveaway I could not find a source in the US. I have mail ordered seeds from Thailand but was never able to get them to maturity. I think the elements, desiccation and time in transit were all detrimental to their viability.

I know this post is 3 years old but do you ever have seed available? I would love to try growing them again in PA in my pond. They are such a fascinating plant.

Thanks

Charlie

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Hello Charlie,

For a number of years, I did my best to keep up Kit's program, but decided to retire a few years ago and sold my last LH seedlings last year.. As much as I tried, I could not find anyone interested in keeping the program going, so now I know of no one, outside of major gardens, that now produces Longwood Hybrid seed.

If there is hope, I spoke to a friend at a public garden in Chicago and she informed me that the iwgs has indeed revived the Victoria Conservancy. I do not know how far along the revival has gotten, but it may be worth contacting them.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Clowry453 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Craig,

I attended Longwood Gardens Prodessional Gardening program back in the early 90’s. Perhaps I will try to get hold of Tim Jennings there, he heads up their water garden displays. I will also contact the IWGS.

Thanks for the reply.

Charlie

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007