• Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Bacteria House "Knock-Off" Media

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      My shower has 1/3 Seaside, 1/3 Cermedia and 1/3 feather rocks in it so I am well hedged.

I agree that the Seaside media is the most porous out of the three due to its shape and structure.

Which one is better? It really doesn't matter as long as the water is flowing through the media plus you have enough of it for your fish load. It is like the debate about which RDF is better. As long as a RDF doesn't break, they all do the same job.

What form of Cermedia do you have? Spheres or MP2C? I would agree that the Seaside is about the same to slightly more porous than the Cermedia Spheres.
      However I have found NOTHING in the ceramic family more porous than MP2C until I found this new media I pictured above.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      What form of Cermedia do you have? Spheres or MP2C? I would agree that the Seaside is about the same to slightly more porous than the Cermedia Spheres.
      However I have found NOTHING in the ceramic family more porous than MP2C until I found this new media I pictured above.
      I have the square MP2C.

It is difficult to scientifically quantify "porous". It is a function of media structure, shape of the media, the way media is stacked, volume of the water flow and how the water is distributed. Even within the same batch of the media, some are more porous than the others.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I had a few hiccups on my rdf and the bypass valved opened. Some stuff got to the ceramic and kinda clogged some of it. I just pulled it all out and the feather rock was clean while the ceramic media has some crude. The ceramic is just easier to work with and worked great when kept clean.

Pic is virgin media vs the media that is established
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kevin32; 02-22-2018 at 08:20 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

There is argument about media but as you can see all the good brown stuff built up in my media pores. The feather rock does not build up as much biofilm. I'm going to redo my shower this weekend and use feather rock in the upper tier. I like the crashing effect off the feather rock

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      There is argument about media but as you can see all the good brown stuff built up in my media pores. The feather rock does not build up as much biofilm. I'm going to redo my shower this weekend and use feather rock in the upper tier. I like the crashing effect off the feather rock
      Do you think the color of the feather rock makes it hard to evaluate the amount of biofilm as opposed to media that's all white when new?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Hugomizz is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What I will say that all the big boys in japan including the handlers like Narita and Odakan use Bakki media,

I saw multiple showers at Danichi with the big girls in filled with the stuff.

Sekiguchi even said to Russ that he fitted a bakki shower with BHM on his high end tank and the differance in the fish appetite greatly increased.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Do you think the color of the feather rock makes it hard to evaluate the amount of biofilm as opposed to media that's all white when new?
      Little bit. The ceramic was more slippery with a nice biofilm coating . There are more pores for the bacteria to cling to with the ceramic media

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Hugomizz View Post
      What I will say that all the big boys in japan including the handlers like Narita and Odakan use Bakki media,

Sekiguchi even said to Russ that he fitted a bakki shower with BHM on his high end tank and the differance in the fish appetite greatly increased.
      I do think the bhm is the shiznit. I'm a tight *** sometimes and can't afford the bhm lol

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Just playing devils advocate, but every car in NASCAR uses Goodyear tires but does that mean they are the best tires? Did all of those breeders/ handlers test other medias side by side before making their commitment? Or were they offered a good deal on a ton of media and just went with it because of the namesake? Also how much water is exchanged each day on those breeders ponds?
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Showers in general increase appetite from my experience. Lots of oxygen exchange and let's the good bacteria take hold. This seems to happen pretty fast and the good bacteria is constantly thriving and it just works.

I've had my airline come of my air pump. The fish were not swimming as much as usual. Put the airline back on and the fish became active again. Fish like the water to be more saturated and showers certainly help this
      Last edited by kevin32; 02-22-2018 at 09:16 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Really the feather rock might be better for some after a sieve filter since it doesn't clog. The ceramic after an rdf is much better imo..I don't get paid anything for what I post so no biggie to me.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Really the feather rock might be better for some after a sieve filter since it doesn't clog. The ceramic after an rdf is much better imo..I don't get paid anything for what I post so no biggie to me.
      I'll give you $5 to say I am the best filtration builder ever!
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just playing devils advocate, but every car in NASCAR uses Goodyear tires but does that mean they are the best tires? Did all of those breeders/ handlers test other medias side by side before making their commitment? Or were they offered a good deal on a ton of media and just went with it because of the namesake? Also how much water is exchanged each day on those breeders ponds?
      For heaven's sake, the man's livelihood depends on good results, do you think he's going to use the cheapest thing he can get his hands on? He's also in roughly the same area in Japan so has probably seen the results at other facilities.
      Does he get it cheaper than we do? I sure as heck hope so. He's in Japan and he knows the breeder. I also don't think he took the time to do side by side comparisons. What we call a hobby, they call an industry and word travels fast when something is or is not working.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m pretty sure when you are talking of fish worth 500k onwards and there job is to bring them to the peak, there gonna have done there homework and looked into different avenues and what brings the fish to there peak

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'll give you $5 to say I am the best filtration builder ever!
      I've been offered $20. I do like your designs and thoughts but I just can't say u are the best. I've used your sieve and can't complain about it. Well on the media and don't make me spank you lol

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh M I do like your latest signature

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      For heaven's sake, the man's livelihood depends on good results, do you think he's going to use the cheapest thing he can get his hands on? He's also in roughly the same area in Japan so has probably seen the results at other facilities.
      Does he get it cheaper than we do? I sure as heck hope so. He's in Japan and he knows the breeder. I also don't think he took the time to do side by side comparisons. What we call a hobby, they call an industry and word travels fast when something is or is not working.
      If the cheapest thing works then why not?
      I seriously doubt he did true side by side comparison testing. What did he switch from? Moving beds to showers? Showers with xxx and then showers with BHM? What actually makes BHM better than other medias in showers? Is it the anaerobic qualities or the radiation?
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Oh M I do like your latest signature
      Between her sig and Russ's location seems I'm getting spanked. Funny thing is i like being spanked so feels good

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If the cheapest thing works then why not?
      I seriously doubt he did true side by side comparison testing. What did he switch from? Moving beds to showers? Showers with xxx and then showers with BHM? What actually makes BHM better than other medias in showers? Is it the anaerobic qualities or the radiation?
      The next time you see Taniguchi you should ask him.

Because it is their livelihood, because they need results, they rely on products they know will achieve them.
      The Japanese are an incredibly courteous people. They are also a people I would call somewhat reserved and formal. Relationships can take years. I do not know the breeders well enough to query them with the specificity and pointedness that you seem to need. Frankly, I would consider it rude to do so.
      They don't need you to believe in why they do something, it has no affect on whether they will do it or not. While showers are being used by a lot of the breeders, the addition of Bakki House media has been a recent addition for some. I am unaware of any breeders that have tried it and were unhappy with the results. Russ can share more particulars if he chooses.

This harkens back to the food threads. I was castigated for using Saki Hikari foods when the new end all be all of Kenzen and the new protein was being hyped. I don't know why we think Americans must know a better way to do things than a country that has this as one of it's major industries and has been doing it for over a 100 years but we do.
      I do know Momotaro did extensive testing in the development and implementation of the media. That is why they are quite specific about its use for optimal results. Momotaro is no slouch in the level of koi they produce or the success of their farm. I tend to believe what my eyes tell me instead of what someone is yammering in my ears. Their facilities are amazing as is the level of their koi and I don't recall seeing a single area on the property that had filtration and did NOT have showers with their media.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was under the impression that Momotaro did extensive testing

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast