• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Nualgi

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't think it is even related to Koizyme and see no reason both couldn't be used together.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've been using Nualgi since Sept. of last year. I use it in two ponds both which have had green water issues. One pond it seems to be working very well, I have had significantly clearer water since I started using it. The other pond I keep water lily's in and I feed the lily's pretty heavy, I just don't think that the product can handle the fertilizer load I put on this pond. I will say that I have noticed a savings on the amount of electricity used since I have not had to run the 110 watt or the 55 watt UV lights since I started using. I can also say that the product can be overdosed and still be fairy safe. I accidently misread the instructions when I first dosed the pond and overdosed 10X the recommended dosage and no problem observed at all, But the water was significantly clearer within 48 hours after application. I talked with Anil at Nualgi when I did this and he recommended to monitor but he felt comfortable that I would have no problems. I don't in any way recommend dosing at this rate but I felt it was information for those that were curious may want to know. The true test is on me now though. The pollens are falling, all the natural ponds in the area are pea soup green and this is the time of the year that I start battling green water yearly so I guess I will truly see if it has been the product or just the reduction of heat and sunlight that has helped the pond stay clear throughout the fall and winter months. So far doing good.

flobb is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does anyone know if the stuff expires? According to the dose of 1mL per 1000 gallons, the smallest 125mL bottle will last 125 weeks for my small 1000 gallon pond. Seasonal pump running time for me that would be about four years.

RickF is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by flobb View Post
      Does anyone know if the stuff expires? According to the dose of 1mL per 1000 gallons, the smallest 125mL bottle will last 125 weeks for my small 1000 gallon pond. Seasonal pump running time for me that would be about four years.
      Since it is nothing more than trace elements, there is nothing in it that can expire. As long as you keep it closed tightly so it does not evaporate (which would increase the concentration of the trace elements), it should be good forever.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by NYkoiman View Post
      How does it differ from Koizyme and could it be used in conjunction with??
      They are totally different products, and there is no reason they could not be used together.

Nualgi contains the trace elements iron, manganese, zinc, cobalt, copper, molybdenum, boron, sulfur, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, and silicon. It is intended to provide the trace elements that are essential to the healthy growth of diatoms (brown algae). The idea is that having good growth of diatoms will make the pond less hospitable to green algae (including string algae and the planktonic algae responsible for green water) and blue-green algae.

Koizyme contains live harmless bacteria, enzymes, and micronutrients that are intended to change the environment in the pond in a way that will be less hospitable to the pathogenic bacteria, Aeromonas and Pseudomonas. There might be some overlap between the micronutrients in Koizyme and the trace elements in Nualgi. I have not been able to discover exactly which micronutrients are contained in Koizyme; however, when used as directed, the concentrations of these are so low that doubling up on the dose of some or all of the ones that might also be contained in Nualgi will not be harmful.

Keep in mind that both of these products are preventative - not curative. Nualgi might prevent algae from taking over your pond, but if you already have green water or are overwhelmed by string algae, you really need to eliminate as much of that as possible before you can expect Nualgi to prevent future algae blooms. Similarly, Koizyme is intended to reduce the numbers of Aeromonas and Pseudomonas that are present in the pond, which will reduce the chances that the fish will be infected by one of these. If the fish already have ulcers, Koizyme is not going to help. You would need to treat the fish with antibiotics to cure the existing ulcer. The most Koizyme can do is reduce the chance that a healthy fish will develop an ulcer in the future.

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

Can someone tell me how much to put in an 800 gallon pond ... in teaspoons? I am math and measurement challenged!

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Do not use teaspoons. Go out and get a dropper or syringe that measures in milliliters ml. One ml per 1000 gallons or in your case .8 ml.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Do not use teaspoons. Go out and get a dropper or syringe that measures in milliliters ml. One ml per 1000 gallons or in your case .8 ml.
      The dose is 1 mL per 1000 gallons, so for 800 gallons, you need 0.8 mL. There are 5 mL in a teaspoon, so you need a little more than 1/8 teaspoonful (0.625 mL), but not as much as 1/4 teaspoonful (1.25 mL). 1/8 plus 1/16 teaspoonsful would be 0.9375 mL, which is pretty close to what you want, and it is not going to be a problem with that little of an overdose.

Fortunately for you, they ship the product with a dropper that is calibrated in 0.5 mL increments. You just have to eyeball it. Exactly half way between 0.5 mL and 1.0 mL would be 0.75 mL. You want a little bit more than that to get to 0.8 mL.

Al O is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneD View Post
      Can someone tell me how much to put in an 800 gallon pond ... in teaspoons? I am math and measurement challenged!
      It comes with something like a eye drop applicator in ml. Go the Nualgi ponds website bottom of page Dosage Instructions, they with email the dosage.

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

find a childs liquid tylenol dropper.. it should be calibrated to 0.4ml and 0.8ml

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

RookieKoiGuy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Member Koi Club of San Diego & Inland Koi Society
      I use the Nualgi Bloom- its for plants a (foliar feed)- I have only been using it for 2-3 weeks.
      Having great results already.
      . O
      /|\
      / \..<ºj))))>< <*)))><.·´¯`·..><((((º>
      .... ...><((((º>. .·´¯`·..><((((º>

NYkoiman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
      They are totally different products, and there is no reason they could not be used together.

Nualgi contains the trace elements iron, manganese, zinc, cobalt, copper, molybdenum, boron, sulfur, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, and silicon. It is intended to provide the trace elements that are essential to the healthy growth of diatoms (brown algae). The idea is that having good growth of diatoms will make the pond less hospitable to green algae (including string algae and the planktonic algae responsible for green water) and blue-green algae.

Koizyme contains live harmless bacteria, enzymes, and micronutrients that are intended to change the environment in the pond in a way that will be less hospitable to the pathogenic bacteria, Aeromonas and Pseudomonas. There might be some overlap between the micronutrients in Koizyme and the trace elements in Nualgi. I have not been able to discover exactly which micronutrients are contained in Koizyme; however, when used as directed, the concentrations of these are so low that doubling up on the dose of some or all of the ones that might also be contained in Nualgi will not be harmful.

Keep in mind that both of these products are preventative - not curative. Nualgi might prevent algae from taking over your pond, but if you already have green water or are overwhelmed by string algae, you really need to eliminate as much of that as possible before you can expect Nualgi to prevent future algae blooms. Similarly, Koizyme is intended to reduce the numbers of Aeromonas and Pseudomonas that are present in the pond, which will reduce the chances that the fish will be infected by one of these. If the fish already have ulcers, Koizyme is not going to help. You would need to treat the fish with antibiotics to cure the existing ulcer. The most Koizyme can do is reduce the chance that a healthy fish will develop an ulcer in the future.
      Thanks for the informative reply. Just ordered a batch!!

Norm Walsh is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
      Since it is nothing more than trace elements, there is nothing in it that can expire. As long as you keep it closed tightly so it does not evaporate (which would increase the concentration of the trace elements), it should be good forever.
      It has a 3 year shelf life per the manufacturer................

I love a good red.

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have been reading alot about this product. I think I will give it a try even if it is to cut down on the daily cleaning of filter pads in skimmer
      And for the price it will be great since I am down to just the one pond now. Should last a long time.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

I ordered the small bottle. Going to have a neighborhood kid clean out the string algae, then will have the shade sail installed when it gets here ... and will use the Nualgi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I just ordered a bottle also Darlene. I uncovered the pond today and had started the filters two weeks ago..it is so green. I'm still trying to find my Hajiro..but she is so black and the" green" water doesn't help Everyone else is up at the top begging for food. We should be in the 80's this week, but I had given them some
      wheat germ a few times already.

Pam

Clarksville, Tn

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneD View Post
      I ordered the small bottle. Going to have a neighborhood kid clean out the string algae, then will have the shade sail installed when it gets here ... and will use the Nualgi.
      Quote Originally Posted by totallyvictorian View Post
      I just ordered a bottle also Darlene. I uncovered the pond today and had started the filters two weeks ago..it is so green. I'm still trying to find my Hajiro..but she is so black and the" green" water doesn't help Everyone else is up at the top begging for food. We should be in the 80's this week, but I had given them some
      wheat germ a few times already.
      Let us know how it works for you.

I dosed my pond & aquariums the second time so far. I dose every Monday.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I will Nancy. I plan on dosing mine on Monday's also, since I do water changes on Sunday. Still waiting for it to arrive though.

Pam

Clarksville, Tn

is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

I received mine and dosed the pond yesterday morning. I would have liked to clean out the string algae first, but the kid I hired to do it was afraid of the algae, and I'm not well enough to do it. My fingers are crossed.

Billy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I tested it on a 4000 gallon pond and here are the results after 48 hours. I will take more pics when I get back to tje pond.
      Name:  day1-2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  57.3 KB
      Name:  48-1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  77.6 KB

Other Sites Sale prices are our everyday prices.
      Vice President Oregon Koi and Watergarden Society

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast