• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Netting fry

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

Netting fry

I've seen some people that net their fry or very small fingerlings every couple or few days. On another forum, there is a hobbyist that is working on Goshiki and he pulls the koi frequently (every couple or few days) to take pics. For some reason, to me, this seems like it may inhibit growth, but I don't know. I would think that this would increase stress and potentially limit or retard growth. I know that some breeders/dealers will not even bowl a koi after it's eaten as it may cause an upset tummy. Don't know if this relates to fry necessarily, but I would think that minimizing bowling any sized koi is a good thing.

Any thoughts on the matter?
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Aquajoe is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use the Kordon fish catcher to catch my tropical fish fry. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...h-catcher.html

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajoe View Post
      I use the Kordon fish catcher to catch my tropical fish fry. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...h-catcher.html
      This is a Ideal bit of kit ! ,after 40 years of koi breeding and tropical fish breeding ,and marine fish ,Yes without Question Fry are very delicate and need to be handled with care as you will damage them ,they are having said that very tough little fish as soon as they are fish ,as koi fry are larvae at first stage from hatching !.
      that's why I use salt water at 0.5 ozs per gallon in the first three months from hatching and heat the tanks to 92f -86f in the first two weeks to get them into little fish quickly and growth doubles and become 1-inch at this stage and only then do I net them but best to siphon out for first cull .
      then cooled down over 48 hours to go out to plankton filled ponds ,half are kept inside and half outside this then gives you more room to grow on and stagger production as you go if you have more sets to spawn ,and large numbers can be handled better in a very small space !.
      I use lily baskets to grade fry quickly and in large numbers ,and works well as smaller fry get to the bottom of the bucket of siphoned in fry ,the larger fry are in the basket then culling begins in glass jars to see deformities quickly !.
      job done in a few hours I can grade 30-50,000 fry !.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, this is my first year of breeding, but i would agree that i wouldnt net them unless necessary! Ive only netted one, and that was because it was deformed and had to get rid of it..
      Last edited by KOIAndrew; 03-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajoe View Post
      Thanks I bought 1 and 4 other small nets

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007