• Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOMOTARO KOHAKU for view and judge please

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

MOMOTARO KOHAKU for view and judge please

This koi is tosai 28cm from momotaro that i found it at the last minute while having fun looking at about over 200 pieces of new koi all tosai certificate.

I really like the pattern of the fish, very nice skin quality, soft white ,body is good, left eye is red ...anyone with further eyesight please analyze or advices ..hopefully there are enough necessary pictures in all areas of the koi

thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      M.Nguyen

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My concern is with the beni. Not saying it's hard, but the kiwa seemed to be too developed for tosai. I would guess male also.

ggmd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree Beni looks not very deep. Other than that - Skin appears of good luster - I like conformation mostly - but the line off the left gill plate seems off a bit- but maybe its just my eyes. Very nice overall to my young eyes

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you mind if this kohaku turned into a sanke?
      Last edited by abuchi123; 03-22-2015 at 04:21 PM.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Overall, it's a decent fish. It IS a male however. The kiwa is NOT finished yet but the "look" is very typical Momotaro. The kiwa develops and begins finishing from the bottom of the step plates and works it's way back and up. The beni isn't the "best" but, for the price payed, is probably in line with that quality level. I'm sure being "certificated" means something to newer hobbyists, but if all the certificate states is that this koi is a "product" of a particular farm, it really doesn't mean anything. If it also includes the bloodline info of the parents and that it is a female, then that's a different story.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Do you mind if this kohaku turned into a sanke?
      I do...also my water is hard...that case I will keep u posted and give up kohaku
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Cert price at $300, $500, n $800 vary
      M.Nguyen

grashopper is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Amused

This one is $800 :-)

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by grashopper View Post
      Only " Koi Madame" knew the true price...
      M.Nguyen

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Cert price at $300, $500, n $800 vary
      Quote Originally Posted by grashopper View Post
      Only " Koi Madame" knew the true price...
      It really doesn't matter what the retail price of the fish is listed at as that is nothing more than marketing hype. It's whatever the purchaser "believe" it is worth. Just because it comes with a piece of paper stating that it is a product of Momotaro Farm means nothing more than that. This has become a very popular way for dealers to sell fish for higher prices without having to pay more. Breeders are very accommodating in providing an avenue for the dealers to be more successful so they keep coming back to buy more of the farms "cast offs".

I also don't believe this fish is a Sanke. I see darker spots in one of the pics, but if you look at the other pics of those areas with more light, you'll see that it was nothing more than the camera lens trying to contrast the deeper reds in a shaded area of the pic. This fish is a kohaku.

Are you telling me this "Koi Madame" person is trying to sell certificated fish at those 3 price ranges? Wow! I think you need to take the hook out of your mouth and truly start looking at a fish for quality traits, not sales pitches!
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      It really doesn't matter what the retail price of the fish is listed at as that is nothing more than marketing hype. It's whatever the purchaser "believe" it is worth. Just because it comes with a piece of paper stating that it is a product of Momotaro Farm means nothing more than that. This has become a very popular way for dealers to sell fish for higher prices without having to pay more. Breeders are very accommodating in providing an avenue for the dealers to be more successful so they keep coming back to buy more of the farms "cast offs".

I also don't believe this fish is a Sanke. I see darker spots in one of the pics, but if you look at the other pics of those areas with more light, you'll see that it was nothing more than the camera lens trying to contrast the deeper reds in a shaded area of the pic. This fish is a kohaku.

Are you telling me this "Koi Madame" person is trying to sell certificated fish at those 3 price ranges? Wow! I think you need to take the hook out of your mouth and truly start looking at a fish for quality traits, not sales pitches!
      How much would you willing to pay for this one? $200
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Koi was priced by Andy Moo.....he knew the value of every one at a glance
      M.Nguyen

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

I don't ever recall seeing a Momo listed for less than $300...
      I'd put this one at $500
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Good tried Rain....

I just checked the cert.. stated female parents " Momotaro Mako Kohaku"....
      If I follow Mike's techinque on select koi..then I may never able to buy any...out of my range
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Did Andy glance at you before glance the fish? Just kidding.
      I don't deal with him..I deal with his other half...she willing to negotiate ..
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I should said everykoi ...pardon my writing abuchi if that really make u laughout
      M.Nguyen

cleanupcrew is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The head look a little weird to me, look deformed on the bottom portion.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Good tried Rain....

I just checked the cert.. stated female parents " Momotaro Mako Kohaku"....
      If I follow Mike's techinque on select koi..then I may never able to buy any...out of my range
      I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say, but trust me, I don't spend a whole lot on a fish. I never really have, but because I have a limited income, I realized I'd better step up my game of LEARNING to allow me to understand what I was seeing in front of me. The dealer can tell me all he wants, but I will be the one to make the final decision based mostly on what I see, first hand.

Andy is a really nice guy. He carries some nice fish and knows what he's doing. But, he's also a businessman and as such, knows how to price his products. Yes, the female oyagoi is listed, which helps somewhat, but it doesn't state "sex" and that is where the "quality" rubber meets the road in regards to "certificated" koi. The question the comes in, will the dealer back up the statement and guarantee it as well. Will he replace it if it turns out male? Don't get me wrong, personally I like the fish. I wouldn't spend $800 for male tosai however, regardless of the quality or breeder. Also, at 28cm, this is a rather small tosai with regards to Momotaro higher quality stocks being 35cm or more. I don't know if you can bulk this fish up as it grows, but if you can, this should be a nice fish to enjoy. Whether it's worth the price you paid, well, I'll leave that opinion up to you, the purchaser.

Nguyen

As to "wheeling and dealing" may be something one feels should be expected and IF the dealer prices the fish fairly, then no negotiating should really be involved. It makes the dealer feel that you don't respect him, or his knowledge. That's why Andy won't "deal" with you, most likely. If you trust your dealer to know what he's telling you and offering you at a certain price point, I would then put the rest of the responsibility in the transaction on your (the buyers) shoulders to know what they're looking at quality wise.
      Mike

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I also have limited budget too...
      I only look at the tank that priced I can afford...and choose to find the best quality fish that I could with my knowledge, sometime would be nice if some friends was there to advices...my limit to quality tosai cause I just can't pay over 800 dollars or double for nisai....honestly I only paid the lowest price out of three prices range for this momotaro kohaku...which is $300...I don't think that is too bad even more chance of male...but it does have strong body..will know after this season over..I'm hoping to get it to 18"-20" by end of nov
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say, but trust me, I don't spend a whole lot on a fish. I never really have, but because I have a limited income, I realized I'd better step up my game of LEARNING to allow me to understand what I was seeing in front of me. The dealer can tell me all he wants, but I will be the one to make the final decision based mostly on what I see, first hand.

Andy is a really nice guy. He carries some nice fish and knows what he's doing. But, he's also a businessman and as such, knows how to price his products. Yes, the female oyagoi is listed, which helps somewhat, but it doesn't state "sex" and that is where the "quality" rubber meets the road in regards to "certificated" koi. The question the comes in, will the dealer back up the statement and guarantee it as well. Will he replace it if it turns out male? Don't get me wrong, personally I like the fish. I wouldn't spend $800 for male tosai however, regardless of the quality or breeder. Also, at 28cm, this is a rather small tosai with regards to Momotaro higher quality stocks being 35cm or more. I don't know if you can bulk this fish up as it grows, but if you can, this should be a nice fish to enjoy. Whether it's worth the price you paid, well, I'll leave that opinion up to you, the purchaser.

Nguyen

As to "wheeling and dealing" may be something one feels should be expected and IF the dealer prices the fish fairly, then no negotiating should really be involved. It makes the dealer feel that you don't respect him, or his knowledge. That's why Andy won't "deal" with you, most likely. If you trust your dealer to know what he's telling you and offering you at a certain price point, I would then put the rest of the responsibility in the transaction on your (the buyers) shoulders to know what they're looking at quality wise.
      Thanks Mike for ur input on "negotiating"

My definition of negotiating is...when I buy more two fish at one "Koi Madame" willing to give me some percentage off the total prices....she was at the farm 95% of the time and Andy is the other 5%....so over the year I just found the bond between a customer and the owner... We all respected her and she did the same in return...

Regard...
      M.Nguyen

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast