• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi Bloodlines and their traits

New Member is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Bloodlines and their traits

Hi everybody, I am new to this hobby as well as koiphen. This is my second post so I am sorry if I had made any mistakes. From what I've read and asked so far, it seems to me that koi Bloodlines/ genetics are extremely important. Would anyone be able to help me identify most of the Koi bloodlines and their traits? Help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Thankyou

Also just to clear up my confusion, are koi bloodlines named after the breeder or the fish? Because under SFF (Sakai Fish Farm) I see Sakura and Donguri bloodlines..

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Correction* This is my second thread not post sorry guys >_<

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I can try and help a little. In the above example SFF would be the breeder, Sakura and Donguri would be the bloodline, or in other words the female used in that years spawning. Each breeder may use multiple female male combinations and this just helps clarify which bloodline the fry came from. As for learning a breeders bloodline, that will take dedicating a lot of research and learning experience of the breeder you find to carry the fish of most interest to you. Most serious show keepers will go after a certain Japanese breeder and learn as much as they can about them. I personally have chosen to learn more and buy more from a local domestic breeder (Purdin Koi) Since I can regularly go to this farm, see the parent fish, see multiple years of off spring and see their development it helps me when picking younger fish and learning what to anticipate what MIGHT happen as they mature. There are no guarantees in this hobby. You can spend thousands of dollars on a koi and it can still not develop as you thought it would have, but choosing a breeder that works with specific lines and seeing how each line develops does give you a better chance at picking a young fish that has a certain potential of development.

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

You have asked a question that most people take 40 -50 questions to refine. This means you probably will only need another 40 -50 questions to answer your question.

Fishing4cars: Has a reasonable tact for domestic talent. If you want to pursue Japanese bloodlines then you will need to pursue other venues and this will in include several trips to Japan.

It might help us to know a little bit more about you. You have started with some specific questions. However we do not know about your level of experience.

Can you give us some back ground about yourself? It may save us from posting general information that is on no use to you.
      Last edited by montwila; 10-12-2014 at 02:54 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am completely new to this hobby, just recently finished building my 2300 gal raised concrete koi pond. I live in western Canada and yes.. i am having very much trouble trying to find quality koi retailers...

This kinda off topic but, what are the specifics that i should look when selecting a koi? So far I know that varieties, quality of color, body conformation, skin quality, pattern are important. But the more i read into them the more questions i have... guess im becomming obsessed with the textbook sides of keeping koi P: But uh yea i've just found a store that claims to have imported ogata koi. Planning to make a visit sometime next week.

I am aware that Ogata koi arent exactly the best.. Then again, not like i can find any retailers that would supply me with SFF or Dainichi koi.
      Im also not a billionare so i am restricted with very realistic qoutas. So, are there any specs that weight more than other? for example Body shape> pattern. And would starting off buying Sanke's/ showas be a good choice? or should i stick to single color kois like ogons?

BimmerLife is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am having some similar issues. I want quality koi but every time I go to order from a breeder they only sell to dealers... Not to individuals. Which is great and all... But I can't find any dealers either haha

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

this like asking someone about quantum physics before learning math..... What i would suggest is locate a dealer, there are a few on this forum, or use an online source. Then when you find a fish you are interested in, look at the breeder and bloodline, then research it using a good search engine, even youtube video's. If you are using a good dealer, he would also be able to answer any questions you will have. This takes a long time and can not be done all at once. I use Russell Peters of PSKOI who i have NO reservations about recommending. I have also done a lot of online browsing and think that Genki Koi might also be a good place for you to start. The most important advise i would give to people starting out is take it SLOW. You dont want to drop serious money on a fish and have it die or get sick due to husbandry issues. Once husbandry is sufficient to care for nice fish, then start with conformation and skin quality. I say this because for most koi kichi having a fish with all great traits is simply out of the budget. But if you have to forgo one thing, it should be pattern. A crappy fish with a great pattern is still a crappy fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks inazuma28 for the info and advice. It's exactly what im planning to do, in search for a local dealer and i may have found one. Not the best but good for a start.

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would suggest getting a subscription of Koi USA and reading as much as possible. I suggest Koi USA because they post pictures and allow you to be the judge, then you can go into the why's and what's why each is evaluated by a judging team. It's very educational and it helps you sharpen your skills when looking at skin, confirmation, luster, pattern etc. Koi USA also provides more updated material on new to the market pond related items such as filters, pumps, etc. many books are outdated by the time you get them. Not that they aren't great for learning too. But they can also be expensive for some of the better books. Koi USA is far more buyer friendly.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will look into Koi USA for sure, thanks guys

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Canada has some tight import restrictions, making it difficult for many of the good dealers to provide fish to you. Working with your local dealer and developing a relationship with him where he will be looking for what you want, quality wise is important and will be your best bet at getting the fish of your dreams. If you get a fish with super skin, super conformation, super....... it will cost you super $$$$$. If you are interested in having the fish as a pond fish in your pond, you may not be able to discern the difference between the $5 bottle of wine and the $50 bottle of wine and therefore should not be investing in the $500 bottle of wine. See what you can buy within your $$$ range and buy the best fish within your means. Don't put down any breeder, or put any breeder on a pedestal, as all breeders have one super good fish per spawn, and a whole bunch of lesser fish. The best fish from any breeder on a given year may beat the best fish of all other breeders in any given year. Your dealer is not likely to come home with a bunch of $50000 fish, unless he has a bunch of people that can afford them, so he is going to have the fish that he can sell. If you develop the relationship with the dealer and tell him you are interested in higher level fish, and give him a budget, he will probably come home with what you ask.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mhmm Agreed -RichToyBox-. I have actually stumbled across a local dealer today. xD as goofy as it sounds, he uses his house for selling koi ( Which is why I havent found him until today ). But I must say it was impressive.. I believe his Ogon was a 36 incher large nidan koi that he claims to be sold, owner not yet picked up yet. What really amazed me was his Tancho. Perfectly round and balanced inbetween the eyes of the koi.. Ok.. time to stop dreaming. He does provide small affordable koi with decent quality.. (Just brought home a Shusui and Chagoi today for adding onto my little collection) Sadly it's late in the season, not much selection.... cant wait till next april for new fish
      Last edited by New Member; 02-23-2015 at 12:25 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007