• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firestone EPDM Liner Leaking

KoiDan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a picture of mine. Look familiar? Inconsistent thickness, brittle and all those future holes! Never again!
      Name:  IMG_1410.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  150.4 KB

Jetmek is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've now have a 15 ft by 25 foot Firestone liner for sale. Thanks for the info. !!! Would have been a big mistake for a Az pond.
      Doug

" If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then is an empty desk a sign?"
      Albert Einstein

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by KoiDan View Post
      Here is a picture of mine. Look familiar? Inconsistent thickness, brittle and all those future holes! Never again!
      Wow Dan, that's crazy. Well, I guess it really wasn't anything you did. Best of luck on your rebuild.
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

This is absolutely not related to UV aging of EPDM rubber. Something else in your pond environment is causing this.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What could cause this?
      Outside agents?
      Food
      ClorAm-x
      Koiclay
      Underlayment?
      Water PH
      P&L Sealant
      Pond temp
      Acid rain, the lochness monster...lol, I can't think of what would cause this.

Feeling:
      Happy

To me looks like some type of bug tracks.

I have inspected many EPDM rubber roofs on facility maintenance inspections and old rubber looks like the cracking and texture you see on old car tires.

Stress fractures in plastic and rubber due to stretching or compression forces will always develop patterns. This is very random.
      Last edited by BWG; 06-05-2015 at 12:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know anything about how they make the liner, but it looks like they poured a bunch of rubber pallets in a vat, under cooked them, partially flattened them out into liner material and found a way to make a very smooth thin surface area.....I am very pessimistic by nature and can't believe there are rubber eating bugs. Let's say there are....Does AZ have the same rubber eating bugs as Texas? This seems like a manufacturing flaw that Firestone will never admit to. Maybe they found a way to recycle old tires, or tire remnants to make liners. Maybe they were looking for a rubber compound that when formed, made a tire with built in traction. Didn't work with tires so they used it in their liner division? I think it is a shame that after four years of use, I am having to rebuild my pond due to it failing.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

With as many ponds built across the entire country that have been constructed with EPDM PondGuard liner from Firestone, I would consider the recent complaints here miniscule to the overall use of this product. However, I too would be concerned if this happened to me. I've NEVER heard of aquatic bugs that could/would eat rubber like this, but obviously, there's something going on as these appear to be very deliberate slit type penetrations of some sort.

As to the company's fault here, someone else posted this same type of issue, complained, sent in a sample to Firestone and they replaced the liner. So, while they may not publicly admit they have an issue, they do seem to take care of complaints with good customer service/support. Whether we will ever get a factual answer to this issue is doubtful, but you can bet they'll lose a ton of money on this product if things continue in this direction and more issues of a like kind start to rear their ugly head!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Feeling:
      Happy

I agree, complain and put some pressure on Firestone for analysis and free replacement. Very strange looking marks. I wouldn't think it was insect either but after seeing flex PVC with insect holes it might be possible. I would think Firestone would be very interested in your situation. I have seen issues with the Chinese import EPDM roofing but never have seen an issue with Firestone roofing or pond liner.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

PVC flex pipe and rubber liner are composed of much different compounds/components. I don't think you can compare them, in contact with the ground to each other.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"I installed the Firestone 45 mil EPDM liner in the pond 6 years ago. I completely drained the pond a few days ago for the first time so we could have some flagstone work done around the sides (and give me an opportunity to completly clean everything out)."

I find it interesting that you have had this liner for 6 years and it only started to leak after draining it a few days ago for flagstone work and refilling it.

Did you pressure wash the liner?

Could it have been something that was done to it when the flagstone work was done?
      Nancy

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I had the opportunity to go to a rubber manufacturer in the 80's. What they were making for me were Neoprene bearings for bridges. Until I went and had the opportunity to see the process, I thought that the manufacturing was a much larger process than it is. It is highly tested for properties of each batch. A batch surprisingly is small, that plant the batch size was 200 pounds. The mix was to use 2 bags of pure polymer, and put that in a wash tub, then add a plasticiser oil, a scoop of carbon black, and a pinch of some magic ingredient. Very crude measuring. The largest Banbury mixers are about 800 pounds. Form the Banbury, the material is dumped into a pair of rollers, and lifted back to the top and and run through the rollers a few times to assure complete mixing of that batch. The batches are stored during testing and then pulled out to make product. What that translates to is that almost every truck tire is a different batch, but what happens is the batches are blended with other batches in an extrusion process using the strongest and weakest, most uv resistant and poorest uv resistant and several in the middle to blend a super batch for extrusion of extrudible products, or forinjction molding, or for my bearings, the layers, about 1/8 inch thick were layered to incorporate many batches and then when vulcanized, the properties blended to make a pretty consistent end product. For the sheet product, though I didn't see it being made, I would suspect several dozen batches would be brought out to the rollers and essentially braided together as they went into the rollers with sufficient product to make a 5 foot ribbon come out the end. That would then continue through the oven for vulcanization. The 5 foot widths are then factory seemed to give the 10 foot, 15 foot, 20 foot, 25 foot, etc. widths.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

It's not bugs, it's the jackalope that is causing this.

Name:  jackalope.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  214.2 KB
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

Feeling:
      Happy

Attached Images Attached Images  

stevenk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiDan View Post
      Name:  IMG_1410.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  150.4 KB

The picture and problem you described is identical to my pond. A Firestone representative claimed it was caused by insects and deny my claims for warranty (see email below). I am not convinced that the damage is caused by insects. There's just too many holes. My always hungry kois would eat those appetizers up as quickly as they could reproduced. To me, the chewed up holes appear to be some sort of rubber fillers that have failed. Or may be the additives like plasticizer failed.

email from Firestone...

....In the past we have seen similar damage to that in these photos on the top surface of the rubber membrane and after researching the cause, we discovered the damage is due insects known Midges. I believe it is the aquatic larval stage of the Midge that does the damage. Based on our limited knowledge of the Midge insects we typically see the Midges borrowing partway through the membrane forming etching or grooves. They typically etch or form groove on the surface of rubber membrane. I suppose that if the membrane is flexed or stressed in any way these etched membranes could form cracks at the bottom of the etching or grooves where the membrane is thinnest. Midge damage is odd in that we have seen nearly identical ponds close together where one is attacked by Midges and another is not?

The bottom line is that this is insect damage and therefore it not warranted. We do not know of any way to prevent Midge damage, I will ask around for a method that for a method of Midge control that could be implemented with Koi or other aquatic life in the pond. However, I hold little hope that such a control method exists.

Note; when grooved or etched a damage is on the bottom side of the side of the membrane and the grooves have perforations or holes all the way through the membrane along the grooves - that is representative of termite damage.

So Midges can attack the top side and termites the bottom side of a rubber membrane

William A. "Bill" Johnson CGCS
      Field Technical Engineer
      Firestone Specialty Products Company
      250 West 96th Street
      Indianapolis, IN 46260
      johnsonbill [at] firestonesp.com
      Attached Images Attached Images

ttankofish1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is there anything that could be done to prevent termite damage? I have seen termites around and now I am getting nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is has 2 new tosai

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
      The picture and problem you described is identical to my pond. A Firestone representative claimed it was caused by insects and deny my claims for warranty (see email below). I am not convinced that the damage is caused by insects. There's just too many holes. My always hungry kois would eat those appetizers up as quickly as they could reproduced. To me, the chewed up holes appear to be some sort of rubber fillers that have failed. Or may be the additives like plasticizer failed.

email from Firestone...

....In the past we have seen similar damage to that in these photos on the top surface of the rubber membrane and after researching the cause, we discovered the damage is due insects known Midges. I believe it is the aquatic larval stage of the Midge that does the damage. Based on our limited knowledge of the Midge insects we typically see the Midges borrowing partway through the membrane forming etching or grooves. They typically etch or form groove on the surface of rubber membrane. I suppose that if the membrane is flexed or stressed in any way these etched membranes could form cracks at the bottom of the etching or grooves where the membrane is thinnest. Midge damage is odd in that we have seen nearly identical ponds close together where one is attacked by Midges and another is not?

The bottom line is that this is insect damage and therefore it not warranted. We do not know of any way to prevent Midge damage, I will ask around for a method that for a method of Midge control that could be implemented with Koi or other aquatic life in the pond. However, I hold little hope that such a control method exists.

Note; when grooved or etched a damage is on the bottom side of the side of the membrane and the grooves have perforations or holes all the way through the membrane along the grooves - that is representative of termite damage.

So Midges can attack the top side and termites the bottom side of a rubber membrane

William A. "Bill" Johnson CGCS
      Field Technical Engineer
      Firestone Specialty Products Company
      250 West 96th Street
      Indianapolis, IN 46260
      johnsonbill [at] firestonesp.com
      So using Firestone pond liners isn't an option because of midges?

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

These "bugs" were actually found to be some other insect's larval stage. Although the "company line" that was provided by Firestone stated "midge fly larva" that's not what a lab found them to be. I wish someone could locate the thread that actually showed the lab info along with actual pictures of the culprits involved.
      Mike

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Not sure if this is what you remember Mike but in the other thread I linked to the op clients had an entomologist identify
      the creature... here's the posts of what they found:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...86#post2565586

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...44#post2566044

I don't remember ever seeing a complaint on the west coast so maybe this water moth is only in certain areas?
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So it's all in the southeast? These earlier threads got a little hot, people demanding that Firestone refund money for obviously "defective" liners, yet here we are, thinking that maybe it really is a bug? I wonder how many of those with the pitchforks and torches are going to apologize to Firestone...
      Last edited by kimini; 09-05-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast