• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allinkdup's G/O Tosai

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Allinkdup View Post
      that was the way it came koisan...I guess it was the luck of the draw that i got that fish...you dont see it in all the pics....kinda surprised Purdin sent it...i heard they cull pretty hard...i like the pattern on the little guy though..you really can't see it as bad in pics 6&9....i will probably end up rehoming it eventually...i will watch it's development to see how the skin, growth, and colors turn out....Billy
      Sorry to hear that... I just hope it didn't have any health issue that prevents it from growing as big as the rest. please watch it closely.

Billy Pounds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was told I could pick another one of the fish that were left but i would have to pay shipping on it if i wanted it....thinking about that....hmmmmmm

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Midorigoi View Post
      Great looking school of fish!! That showa with the bent plate might have hope...they're all pretty small right now, and I had a fish with a completely crooked pec fin straighten out as she grew from 2" to 8", can't even notice it now. Just another thing to watch for!

I like your homemade fish food too, I use gelatin in my mix - will have to try baking it instead sometime.
      It made the house smell interesting Stacy...I did it while my wife and kids were gone....anchovies.mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....LOL...be forewarned it sticks to the pan...I will use foil next time...hehe

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are some updated pics of my tosai from Purdin....and a Showa from Isa
      Attached Images Attached Images        

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

In the 6th pic, are you treating the Kohaku on the top left? Looks like an infection on the side.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yeah Jim that was the replacement koi i got for the one with the messed up gill plate...i guess it was damaged in shipping and took a few days for the bruise to show...I hit it w/betadine then some Neosporin...if it isn't better in a day or 2 I'll give it some Baytril
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 05-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I would take a close up pic and send it over to Joey. I think she will tell you its parasite/bacterial infection and give you best option for treatment. They can get banged around, but I think it likely had something and the stress from shipping weakened the immune giving it an opening to do damage.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was going to Prazi the qt day after tomorrow....I just did a 150 gallon change on the 300...the water is 67 degrees...it is warm enough to nuke'm and I'll try to borrow my buddy's microscope in the next day or so if I can catch him...I already checked all the other fish out good when I did the w/c earlier......nobody else was showing any signs of any probs...since he got outta koi he really outta give me permanent loan of his M/S...he isn't using it<wink>...in the mean time I'll send Joey a pm...thx bro...

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yeah Jim that was the replacement koi i got for the one with the messed up gill plate...i guess it was damaged in shipping and took a few days for the bruise to show...I hit it w/betadine then some Neosporin...if it isn't better in a day or 2 I'll give it some iv Baytril
      That doesn't look like a "typical" shipping injury. Usually those are banged noses, broken fin, etc. Possibly damaged when being netted and packed to ship. How long have you had it?
      Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      I would take a close up pic and send it over to Joey. I think she will tell you its parasite/bacterial infection and give you best option for treatment. They can get banged around, but I think it likely had something and the stress from shipping weakened the immune giving it an opening to do damage.
      Pretty hard to tell exactly from that pic what might have happened. Are the scales all intact? No way to tell if the break in the skin was caused by a parasite or something else, but sure looks like the start of an ulcer - bacterial infection. TricideNeo dips are great for this. The betadine was a good start. If healing has started, you should see white (new skin) forming on the outside of the circle - filling toward the center.
      I was going to Prazi the qt day after tomorrow....I just did a 150 gallon change on the 300...the water is 67 degrees...it is warm enough to nuke'm and I'll try to borrow my buddy's microscope in the next day or so if I can catch him...I already checked all the other fish out good when I did the w/c earlier......nobody else was showing any signs of any probs...since he got outta koi he really outta give me permanent loan of his M/S...he isn't using it<wink>...in the mean time I'll send Joey a pm...thx bro...
      I would wait on a Prazi treatment. It's specifically for flukes, won't do anything for the booboo, and you don't know that you have any parasites going on. You might ask Purdin if they do any parasite treatments as a routine before shipping. No sense in treating what you don't have to.

Yep, get the scope and scrape.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Billy:

In post #24 you say a Showa from Isa. So the replacement was Showa or a Kohaku?

My local club is hosting a Showa grow out and of the two I got, one is a "wonderful" Kohaku. I am told the sumi will not start coming on until at least the second year and may take four years to develop. Is the Isa line much the same?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Monte, the replacement was a Kohaku, I didnt really like either of the 2 showa Frank had left....the showa from Isa in the pics is the 4 step male with the sumi dot on it's forehead ....I really haven't experienced too much with the other Isa's I got in the fall as far as color changing...yet...they all have a decent amount of sumi already with plenty of room for more to rise...thx Joey for the advice...I have had the fish since last Monday...

KurtG is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the Isa much more than any of the rest...nice showa.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know it was a pricey canary Kurt...lol...but it wasn't getting enough to eat in the pond with all the bigger fish....I have been trying to pack it on them in the q/t before they get moved...I'll be dumping 2/3's of my main pond's fish into my aquaponic system very soon and all of these new tosai are moving on up to the main pond...Billy

lifeoffaith is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I love the traditional style! I want one so bad!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have 1 Isa and the one from the g/o...i really think the old school Purdin tosai is a female..looking at the ventral area...throwing a pic of my old style Isa in the chat for lifeoffaith to covet...lol...Billy

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

I'd have to agree with Joey - that looks like the beginnings of a nasty ulcer. Tricide Neo..
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I moved these guys from the qt finally into the main pond...much to my surprise I found something I was less than impressed with...when I looked at the original pics from the original post from Tampa Bay Koi of these fish on the first post about them I thought I noticed 'something sumi-ish' on number 20...I asked the vendor not to send me the fish if he saw what i saw...he said he didn't see it....I guess it went away for a bit...and it is black with a vengeance...lol...scaled blackness where it shouldn't be...on my nidan kohaku...maybe it will turn into a Sanke...not..I think the 5th fish shows the most potential as of tonight when i shot these pics....I got these to learn from and i guess i am getting what i wanted...for the most part everyone else is growing nicely...some nice characteristics on each individual fish and some flaws as well...it is what it is...all comments are welcome, as usual...I am in this for the education...Billy
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 07-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kohaku in pic. 5 is looking good. I like it the most out of the bunch.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Billy- any updates on the herd?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hello my brutha from anutha mutha...well overall it doesn't seem that they have grown a tremendous amount but they are thickening up for sure.....i will know for sure in the next week or two when i do a big W/C...I will net them up and post them..the one with the dropsy from the secondary infection/ulcer thing is actually coming around...I haven't tried treating her with any meds...I just have her in the A/P setup by herself in the sump tank...it seems the pineconing has majorly subsided and her body is getting back to a normal insteada mutant look...lol...she eats everyday....I was gonna try putting her in by herself as opposed to keeping her in the big pond where whatever got into her resides...all other fish are ok in the main pond...the OTC I got from Russ helped the Isa Showa with the bum pecs...they have filled back in nicely...and no more inflammation and redness...THANKS RUSS...!!!...i know it isn't standard protocol but i treated the whole pond with medicated OTC food for a week and a half because of 1 sick fish...but who knows what the culprit is/was....or if it is still there after 2-50% w/c's and several top-offs.....my pump on the q/t was kaput and work has been sucky lately so no extra funds to purchase a new pump for it.....hehe...so they all gotta dose of the tetracycline...i am still tempted to treat the dropsy fish just to see if it helps...like i say..that one has done a 100% turnaround from laying on the bottom sulking/sick...now if she would just quit swimming into the walls of the wood tank....pics sooner than later to be expected...Billy
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 10-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast