• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Results 41 to 60 of 224

    Thread: Dry Stacked Block, Surface Bonding Cement, and Xypex C-1000 Admix Quarantine Tank

    1. #41
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by crsublette View Post
      Woh, alot of pressure ... maybe? SBC is the super extra strength polident of concrete, correct?
      Maybe...notice how some of the block wall ruptured...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    2. #42
      crsublette is offline Supporting Member
      is not act on others feelings
       
      Feeling:
      Cocky
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Outdoors in Texas, USA
      Posts
      1,003
      I can not deny ya ... it does look quite rough.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

      Fish are as healthy at 95 mm Hg Partial Pressure as they are in 125.8777 mm Hg Partial Pressure at Sea Level. Necessity of 100% DO saturation for optimum Koi health is rubbish, derived from breeders whom need big money to pay their prices to keep them in business. Fish's health don't act different due to their price tag!!!


    3. #43
      crsublette is offline Supporting Member
      is not act on others feelings
       
      Feeling:
      Cocky
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Outdoors in Texas, USA
      Posts
      1,003
      Russel, looking at the last, bottom, picture there. What was the concrete compound the person used?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

      Fish are as healthy at 95 mm Hg Partial Pressure as they are in 125.8777 mm Hg Partial Pressure at Sea Level. Necessity of 100% DO saturation for optimum Koi health is rubbish, derived from breeders whom need big money to pay their prices to keep them in business. Fish's health don't act different due to their price tag!!!


    4. #44
      crsublette is offline Supporting Member
      is not act on others feelings
       
      Feeling:
      Cocky
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Outdoors in Texas, USA
      Posts
      1,003
      Laying my head on my desk sideways so I can properly orient to view the picture...

      Did some of those cinder blocks actually bust in half ??
      Last edited by crsublette; 01-20-2013 at 05:35 PM.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

      Fish are as healthy at 95 mm Hg Partial Pressure as they are in 125.8777 mm Hg Partial Pressure at Sea Level. Necessity of 100% DO saturation for optimum Koi health is rubbish, derived from breeders whom need big money to pay their prices to keep them in business. Fish's health don't act different due to their price tag!!!


    5. #45
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by crsublette View Post
      Did some of those cinder blocks actually bust in half ??
      Yes, because they were not filled properly. Here is the whole thread, you like to read...

      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...+wall+failures
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    6. #46
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by crsublette View Post
      Russel, looking at the last, bottom, picture there. What was the concrete compound the person used?
      I think it was type S mortar...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    7. #47
      crsublette is offline Supporting Member
      is not act on others feelings
       
      Feeling:
      Cocky
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Outdoors in Texas, USA
      Posts
      1,003
      Aaahh, so there might just be hope here for the mighty SBC to shine!!

      If it is not the "compressive, axial loading" pressure that we're talking about? I think it is though, but I unsure.
      Last edited by crsublette; 01-20-2013 at 05:43 PM.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

      Fish are as healthy at 95 mm Hg Partial Pressure as they are in 125.8777 mm Hg Partial Pressure at Sea Level. Necessity of 100% DO saturation for optimum Koi health is rubbish, derived from breeders whom need big money to pay their prices to keep them in business. Fish's health don't act different due to their price tag!!!


    8. #48
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by crsublette View Post
      Aaahh, so there might just be hope here for the mighty SBC to shine!!

      If it is not the "compressive, axial loading" pressure that we're talking about? I think it is though, but I unsure.
      I am OK with being wrong...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    9. #49
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,089
      Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      well I seem to know when I read quote[ The only thing that a mortared concrete block wall has over an SBC coated block wall is vertical compression strength.]
      that vertical strength is needed in a above ground pond......


      as for the test.....not you,,,you'd fix it..................I'd want a nuetral party testing it ,,,with 2 cameras ones pointed at the tank and one pointed at you,,,so we can see your look
      .....no matter what it is a hokey build that makes little to no sense,,,why anyone would go threw all that effort and not spend the extra what $15 in mortar and maybe 2 hr extra labor.......it isn't a good contracting practice........................andI'd be personally ambarrassed to even post something like that.....................alot of people having lots a questions going threw their heads right now,,,,,what is that kid up to now............going from a pretty dang well design fitration sytems to building half butt ponds to save a couple bucks........................Zac ,,,people are thinking what short cuts is he taking when building his other stuff.......


      or is this all smoke screen and the next thing ya know you'll be selling and acting as a licensed applicator for this product.........................brings me back to the beginning of the ceramedia threads.................kinda the same flow going here????


      guess time will see
      Steve you are the most paranoid person I have ever dealt with. You probably believe the Newtown school shooting was a conspiracy along with 9-11. If people don't like the experiments that I do and it effects my business then that is my issue to work out. I don't need you telling me that everything I do is being examined. I personally think bio-ball filtration is hokey so it is fine for you to think what I do is the same.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    10. #50
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      5,089
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Here is what happened to another block wall pond that was not properly reinforced and filled with concrete. Would SBC have saved this???

      YES! I think SBC would have kept that wall together. That corner broke apart due to tensile forces...NOT compression forces. The fiberglass fibers combined within the cement are much stronger than the bond between type-s mortar and a dusty concrete block. I truly doubt that each block was sprayed down with water before having the mortar slapped onto it so the bond between the two is not very strong. The dry-stacked block wall is to be sprayed down with water before the SBC is applied so a stronger bond is achieved between the block and cement and the strength of the coating is greater than that of mortar.

      Zac
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    11. #51
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      YES! I think SBC would have kept that wall together. That corner broke apart due to tensile forces...NOT compression forces. The fiberglass fibers combined within the cement are much stronger than the bond between type-s mortar and a dusty concrete block. I truly doubt that each block was sprayed down with water before having the mortar slapped onto it so the bond between the two is not very strong. The dry-stacked block wall is to be sprayed down with water before the SBC is applied so a stronger bond is achieved between the block and cement and the strength of the coating is greater than that of mortar.

      Zac
      Cool, I guess we'll have to wait and see...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    12. #52
      crsublette is offline Supporting Member
      is not act on others feelings
       
      Feeling:
      Cocky
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Outdoors in Texas, USA
      Posts
      1,003
      I'm really looking forward to how this comes along. Glad you're doing this Zac. Ya read my mind with this thread. I have been wondering how well SBC and xypex would work. I was kind of thinking of doing a mix like this as well.

      What product of SBC did ya go with? hyperlink would be awesome.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

      Fish are as healthy at 95 mm Hg Partial Pressure as they are in 125.8777 mm Hg Partial Pressure at Sea Level. Necessity of 100% DO saturation for optimum Koi health is rubbish, derived from breeders whom need big money to pay their prices to keep them in business. Fish's health don't act different due to their price tag!!!


    13. #53
      pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      SpringHill,Fl.
      Posts
      5,330
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC. That is going to be my first plan of attack. I am going to use the Admix dose based on 30% cement weight per bag of SBC (based on the technical data sheets) and rely on that as the only water proofing agent in this mix. I am going to rely solely on the structural integrity of the SBC to hold my walls together (they will be 7 courses tall but only 5 courses truly dry stacked). I want to treat the cold joint between the block wall and concrete floor with a 45 degree angle coating of SBC with Admix to keep that joint waterproofed. This is going to be a fun project. If I notice any structural issues because of the SBC then I will be able to drain the water and fill each cell with concrete. If the Xypex doesn't work with the SBC then I will do the stucco coat to help with that. If that doesn't work, then I will go to a paint on liner. Either way with a project this small we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to fix the problem. However IF this does work then it could save thousands of dollars for future customers by avoiding the concrete cost of filling each cell as well as the expense of paint/spray on liners for water proofing.

      Zac
      ZAc given your history,,,,my presumption isn't paranoia


      look at what you said,,,,,,,,,,,,you could save future costumers thousands........

      well now if you talking thousands you're talking big.......


      and you aint going to be doing big,,,,legally with inspections ,,,that is my point from the get go...............florida building code is pretty standerd ...

      no engineer would put their @$$,,on the line with that ,,,and no building plan reviewer would sign off on it ..........period


      that's my point you are a professional ,,,,,,

    14. #54
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      ZAc given your history,,,,my presumption isn't paranoia


      look at what you said,,,,,,,,,,,,you could save future costumers thousands........

      well now if you talking thousands you're talking big.......


      and you aint going to be doing big,,,,legally with inspections ,,,that is my point from the get go...............florida building code is pretty standerd ...

      no engineer would put their @$$,,on the line with that ,,,and no building plan reviewer would sign off on it ..........period


      that's my point you are a professional ,,,,,,

      I also don't see anywhere where any of the SBC manufacturers recommend "not" filling the cells with rebar and concrete in this application either...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    15. #55
      pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      SpringHill,Fl.
      Posts
      5,330
      Zac if you really are into saving your customers money....do what all pool contractors do,,,,they hook a 1st. with a engineer or 2 ,,,and work a deal on some basic plans and sign offs ,,and set fees for basic changes

      2nd.hook up woth a couple good concrete sub contractots who are licensed ,,have all the equipment and do this all the time and can do what they do best,,,and cheaper because they have already done all the leg work of getting the good deals on the cement,pumps and steel.....plus they already have relations with the area inspectors ................that leaves you to what you do best,,,and what you can control ...the rough and final plumbing and building the filtration system ..............everyone one wins then

    16. #56
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      32,547
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I also don't see anywhere where any of the SBC manufacturers recommend "not" filling the cells with rebar and concrete in this application either...
      Not about filling cells specifically, but wondered if this might apply to your question... this is from the a bag of SBC (Quikwall) I had in the garage:

      Blocks should be laid on a firm and even foundation. Set the first (only the first) course of blocks in a bed of either QUIKWALL Surface Bonding Cement or QUIKRETE Mortar Mix. This layer must be set plumb and level. NO MORTAR IS USED IN ANY VERTICAL JOINT AND ONLY IN THE HORIZONTAL JOINT BETWEEN FOUNDATION AND FIRST COURSE.

      The caps are theirs, not mine.
      --Steve

    17. #57
      mbrian1226's Avatar
      mbrian1226 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Eugene, Oregon
      Posts
      1,615
      I'm pretty sure Zac wouldn't be doing an experiment on a customers pond. After reading lots of his other threads and builds I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He also doesn't seem like the type that would cut corners. This thread is a good example why I would never post any pictures or information of my own work on here due to certain people tearing everything apart and telling others they don't know what the hell their doing. Dealers on this forum that have big ego's and are always criticizing peoples builds and ideas I will never give any business to. Like ICU2 said, "did Zac have to ask for permission before he did this experiment?"
      Brian



      Click for Springfield, Oregon Forecast

    18. #58
      benr7132 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Concord, CA
      Posts
      209
      Quote Originally Posted by mbrian1226 View Post
      I'm pretty sure Zac wouldn't be doing an experiment on a customers pond. After reading lots of his other threads and builds I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He also doesn't seem like the type that would cut corners. This thread is a good example why I would never post any pictures or information of my own work on here due to certain people tearing everything apart and telling others they don't know what the hell their doing. Dealers on this forum that have big ego's and are always criticizing peoples builds and ideas I will never give any business to. Like ICU2 said, "did Zac have to ask for permission before he did this experiment?"
      I am also shocked by the vitriol on this thread. Makes me think twice about posting more related to my build. Advice, support, and responses to questions asked are great. Attacks are not.

    19. #59
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      32,547
      I've requested that posters review and edit their posts that aren't on the topic of the materials or methods being used in the build of the original poster.
      I'll edit if need be. Personal attacks and/or opinions of business practices aren't constructive or appropriate in a construction thread.

      Thank you.
      --Steve

    20. #60
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,496
      Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Not about filling cells specifically, but wondered if this might apply to your question... this is from the a bag of SBC (Quikwall) I had in the garage:

      Blocks should be laid on a firm and even foundation. Set the first (only the first) course of blocks in a bed of either QUIKWALL Surface Bonding Cement or QUIKRETE Mortar Mix. This layer must be set plumb and level. NO MORTAR IS USED IN ANY VERTICAL JOINT AND ONLY IN THE HORIZONTAL JOINT BETWEEN FOUNDATION AND FIRST COURSE.

      The caps are theirs, not mine.
      Steve, this has nothing to do with what I am talking about. This is referring to the mortar that goes between the blocks,i.e. the joints, I am talking about the rebar and CONCRETE that goes inside of the cells that will give the wall it's structural integrity. Also, everything I have found about doing these dry stack walls does not have anything to do with what he is doing. He is creating a vessel that holds a lot of water and there is a lot of stress placed on the walls. All of the instructions I have read were for walls for a house or garage that are free from lateral stresses.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •