• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Stacked Block, Surface Bonding Cement, and Xypex C-1000 Admix Quarantine Tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Dry Stacked Block, Surface Bonding Cement, and Xypex C-1000 Admix Quarantine Tank

WARNING: I am not a contractor and I do not believe this type of construction will pass a building code inspection! This is purely an experiment.

I have been interested in this type of build for a long time, and finally the wooden QT at my parents house started to rot away and they gave me the go ahead to tear it out and start from scratch. I have searched quite a bit for this type of application and I wasn't able to find someone using Surface Bonding Cement WITH the Xypex Admix nor with the concentrate. I contacted Xypex and they directed me to my local sales rep at Coastal Supply here in Jacksonville. Yon was very helpful in this process and told me that his engineers didn't know for sure if the Xypex will work with SBC due to some of the additives used, but he thought it was worth a shot. The amount of Admix that will be used in the SBC coat is only going to worth about $20 so why not give it a try? Best case scenario it works great and everyone is happy. Worst case scenario it doesn't seal properly and a regular Stucco coat with Admix will be applied which he knows will work.

So onto some pictures...
      Before...

Look at all that pollen on the Zakki Shower.... It has been crazy bad the last couple weeks. I guess all of the trees got psyched out by the warm weather and started dropping their yellow allergy powder. Funny thing is a cold front just moved through and we could be seeing very cold weather again. Crazy Florida weather!

Couple hours of Sawzall work...

I couldn't remember how big I poured the footer for the roof support and was not happy with the results. This made me reduce the size of the pond and made it a lot narrower than I hoped for...

Then I made the fun discovery that all of the sprinkler valves and lines ran right through the area and shortened the pond again...

Ran into quite a few large branches/roots from when the house was originally built. This was no fun to dig around.

For some reason I forgot to take pictures of the form and concrete pour. I guess I was in too much of a hurry trying to get it all done in time so I didn't get charged extra for being late with the concrete mixer. I used a 1 1/4 yard mixer from our rental place and added 12 lbs of the Xypex Admix C-1000. I laid the first course with bond beam block with vertical rebar in ever other cell tying into the slab, and then horizontal rebar for added strength. The second course brings me up to the ground level. These bottom two courses will be poured solid with concrete because I will not be able to apply surface bonding cement to the outside of these two courses. You can see the three 2" return lines in this picture...

I custom made my bottom drains out of a standard 3" DWV 90 and I welded on 3/4" couplers in the bottom so I can attach 7" rubber diffusers as my drain covers. The exposed pipe is just to keep the concrete out of the pipe.

All ready for concrete...

More updates as they become available!
      Zac
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 01-21-2013 at 12:17 PM.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

joshk87 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking good! Can't wait to see more. This will be one nice QT.
      My Pond Build
      Koiphen Fantasy Football Champ '15,'13

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Zac

It looks great so far. As far as using the Xypex with the Surface Bonding Cement, as long as you use the SBC WITHOUT the acrylic fortifiers, you should be fine. Unless it's not important for this job, I would also suggest using a high concentration dry powder dye to get the finish as close to black as possible. Yes, when it first dries, it will appear to be a dark charcoal gray, but once wet will revert back to black. Look forward to your progress and what filtration design you have up your sleeve!?!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      I have searched quite a bit for this type of application and I wasn't able to find someone using Surface Bonding Cement WITH the Xypex Admix nor with the concentrate.
      Just for the record, I did.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...07#post2040207

But not for structrual support, so I'm really looking forward to how things work for you!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Just for the record, I did.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...07#post2040207

But not for structrual support, so I'm really looking forward to how things work for you!
      Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC. That is going to be my first plan of attack. I am going to use the Admix dose based on 30% cement weight per bag of SBC (based on the technical data sheets) and rely on that as the only water proofing agent in this mix. I am going to rely solely on the structural integrity of the SBC to hold my walls together (they will be 7 courses tall but only 5 courses truly dry stacked). I want to treat the cold joint between the block wall and concrete floor with a 45 degree angle coating of SBC with Admix to keep that joint waterproofed. This is going to be a fun project. If I notice any structural issues because of the SBC then I will be able to drain the water and fill each cell with concrete. If the Xypex doesn't work with the SBC then I will do the stucco coat to help with that. If that doesn't work, then I will go to a paint on liner. Either way with a project this small we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to fix the problem. However IF this does work then it could save thousands of dollars for CONSUMERS/HOBBISTS by avoiding the concrete cost of filling each cell as well as the expense of paint/spray on liners for water proofing.

Zac

EDIT: It appears as though my wording implied that I would be selling this type of construction job to my customers. That is not the case unless it can be signed off on by a licensed engineer to pass building code inspections and the client was confident in the idea.
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 01-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC.
      fwiw, the acrylic fortifier hasn't seemed to make any difference with mine.

And I can't wait to see how it works out... ever since I made my filter pit out of dry stacked, hollow blocks with SBC coated on both sides, and then used the Xypex on the
      lower pond, I've wanted to try them together and see how it'd work.
      --Steve

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC. That is going to be my first plan of attack. I am going to use the Admix dose based on 30% cement weight per bag of SBC (based on the technical data sheets) and rely on that as the only water proofing agent in this mix. I am going to rely solely on the structural integrity of the SBC to hold my walls together (they will be 7 courses tall but only 5 courses truly dry stacked). I want to treat the cold joint between the block wall and concrete floor with a 45 degree angle coating of SBC with Admix to keep that joint waterproofed. This is going to be a fun project. If I notice any structural issues because of the SBC then I will be able to drain the water and fill each cell with concrete. If the Xypex doesn't work with the SBC then I will do the stucco coat to help with that. If that doesn't work, then I will go to a paint on liner. Either way with a project this small we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to fix the problem. However IF this does work then it could save thousands of dollars for future customers by avoiding the concrete cost of filling each cell as well as the expense of paint/spray on liners for water proofing.

Zac
      Well, that's a nice idea, but a lot of this would totally depend on the individuals soil conditions where they live. Though ALL GROUND moves to some degree, it would be the degree of movement/settlement of a particular soil that could render this type of installation worthless, IMHO.

On your "angled" corner, are you planning to do any type of steel reinforcement along with adding the concrete? I seem to recall Becky had a problem with her pond walls pulling apart even WITH concrete filled cells due to the lack of proper steel reinforcement!?
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well, that's a nice idea, but a lot of this would totally depend on the individuals soil conditions where they live. Though ALL GROUND moves to some degree, it would be the degree of movement/settlement of a particular soil that could render this type of installation worthless, IMHO.

On your "angled" corner, are you planning to do any type of steel reinforcement along with adding the concrete? I seem to recall Becky had a problem with her pond walls pulling apart even WITH concrete filled cells due to the lack of proper steel reinforcement!?

Granted I do not think this method would be safe in earthquake zones, or high frost zones, but it should work in most places.

As for the corner I am not going to use rebar in the corners, but I am going to use large strips of fiberglass tape to hold those corners together. I am going to lay down a skim coat of SBC, then apply the fiberglass strips and then coat on top of that. This will connect the entire corner into one solid piece and keep it from separating.
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC. That is going to be my first plan of attack. I am going to use the Admix dose based on 30% cement weight per bag of SBC (based on the technical data sheets) and rely on that as the only water proofing agent in this mix. I am going to rely solely on the structural integrity of the SBC to hold my walls together (they will be 7 courses tall but only 5 courses truly dry stacked). I want to treat the cold joint between the block wall and concrete floor with a 45 degree angle coating of SBC with Admix to keep that joint waterproofed. This is going to be a fun project. If I notice any structural issues because of the SBC then I will be able to drain the water and fill each cell with concrete. If the Xypex doesn't work with the SBC then I will do the stucco coat to help with that. If that doesn't work, then I will go to a paint on liner. Either way with a project this small we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to fix the problem. However IF this does work then it could save thousands of dollars for future customers by avoiding the concrete cost of filling each cell as well as the expense of paint/spray on liners for water proofing.

Zac
      ZAc given your history,,,,my presumption isn't paranoia

look at what you said,,,,,,,,,,,,you could save future costumers thousands........

well now if you talking thousands you're talking big.......

and you aint going to be doing big,,,,legally with inspections ,,,that is my point from the get go...............florida building code is pretty standerd ...

no engineer would put their @$$,,on the line with that ,,,and no building plan reviewer would sign off on it ..........period

that's my point you are a professional ,,,,,,

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post

look at what you said,,,,,,,,,,,,you could save future costumers thousands........

and you aint going to be doing big,,,,legally with inspections ,,,that is my point from the get go...............florida building code is pretty standerd ...

no engineer would put their @$$,,on the line with that ,,,and no building plan reviewer would sign off on it ..........period

I also don't see anywhere where any of the SBC manufacturers recommend "not" filling the cells with rebar and concrete in this application either...
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I also don't see anywhere where any of the SBC manufacturers recommend "not" filling the cells with rebar and concrete in this application either...
      Not about filling cells specifically, but wondered if this might apply to your question... this is from the a bag of SBC (Quikwall) I had in the garage:

Blocks should be laid on a firm and even foundation. Set the first (only the first) course of blocks in a bed of either QUIKWALL Surface Bonding Cement or QUIKRETE Mortar Mix. This layer must be set plumb and level. NO MORTAR IS USED IN ANY VERTICAL JOINT AND ONLY IN THE HORIZONTAL JOINT BETWEEN FOUNDATION AND FIRST COURSE.

The caps are theirs, not mine.
      --Steve

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post

Ok now I see where you are coming from with this. I AM NOT A CONTRACTOR NOR A POND BUILDER!!!!! I am a consultant on pond design and a fabricator of filtration systems. I didn't mean I could save MY customers thousands, I guess I should have said consumers/hobbyists. I would not build a pond like this for a client due to building inspections and FL building code. I do not think it would pass unless there was an engineer willing to sign off on it.

I am building this tank the way I am for curiosity and to test out this product. If it works out then great. If it doesn't then I will adjust from there. If it fails I will not start a cover up to save face. I am EXPERIMENTING with this product, so I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out. Well except some money.

Zac
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok now I see where you are coming from with this. I AM NOT A CONTRACTOR NOR A POND BUILDER!!!!! I am a consultant on pond design and a fabricator of filtration systems. I didn't mean I could save MY customers thousands, I guess I should have said consumers/hobbyists. I would not build a pond like this for a client due to building inspections and FL building code. I do not think it would pass unless there was an engineer willing to sign off on it.

I am building this tank the way I am for curiosity and to test out this product. If it works out then great. If it doesn't then I will adjust from there. If it fails I will not start a cover up to save face. I am EXPERIMENTING with this product, so I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out. Well except some money.

Zac

people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

WARNING: I am not a contractor and I do not believe this type of construction will pass a building code inspection! This is purely an experiment.

I have been interested in this type of build for a long time, and finally the wooden QT at my parents house started to rot away and they gave me the go ahead to tear it out and start from scratch. I have searched quite a bit for this type of application and I wasn't able to find someone using Surface Bonding Cement WITH the Xypex Admix nor with the concentrate. I contacted Xypex and they directed me to my local sales rep at Coastal Supply here in Jacksonville. Yon was very helpful in this process and told me that his engineers didn't know for sure if the Xypex will work with SBC due to some of the additives used, but he thought it was worth a shot. The amount of Admix that will be used in the SBC coat is only going to worth about $20 so why not give it a try? Best case scenario it works great and everyone is happy. Worst case scenario it doesn't seal properly and a regular Stucco coat with Admix will be applied which he knows will work.
      Evidently the acrylic fortifier is the "Devil" when it comes to Xypex. I am not using anything other than what comes in the bag of SBC. That is going to be my first plan of attack. I am going to use the Admix dose based on 30% cement weight per bag of SBC (based on the technical data sheets) and rely on that as the only water proofing agent in this mix. I am going to rely solely on the structural integrity of the SBC to hold my walls together (they will be 7 courses tall but only 5 courses truly dry stacked). I want to treat the cold joint between the block wall and concrete floor with a 45 degree angle coating of SBC with Admix to keep that joint waterproofed. This is going to be a fun project. If I notice any structural issues because of the SBC then I will be able to drain the water and fill each cell with concrete. If the Xypex doesn't work with the SBC then I will do the stucco coat to help with that. If that doesn't work, then I will go to a paint on liner. Either way with a project this small we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to fix the problem. However IF this does work then it could save thousands of dollars for CONSUMERS/HOBBISTS by avoiding the concrete cost of filling each cell as well as the expense of paint/spray on liners for water proofing.

Zac

EDIT: It appears as though my wording implied that I would be selling this type of construction job to my customers. That is not the case unless it can be signed off on by a licensed engineer to pass building code inspections and the client was confident in the idea.

There you go Steve. Warnings have been added!
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

joshk87 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Forgot to ask how many gallons you're going for.
      My Pond Build
      Koiphen Fantasy Football Champ '15,'13

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by joshk87 View Post
      Forgot to ask how many gallons you're going for.
      Sorry I missed this earlier...
      I had originally wanted the volume to be 1800 gallons, but the sprinkler system and concrete footer changed the plan and reduced the size. It looks right now that I will be at 1156 gallons. Still a good sized QT tank, but less than I wanted.
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Your photos have you as a fast worker. When the time comes to pull my liner and deepen the pond I am giving you a call. A ticket or two to Disney if you dig fast enough, lol.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Your photos have you as a fast worker. When the time comes to pull my liner and deepen the pond I am giving you a call. A ticket or two to Disney if you dig fast enough, lol.
      I am only 30 and I keep telling my dad "I am too old for this $h*t" so don't think I will be waiting by the phone for your call Jim
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I am only 30 and I keep telling my dad "I am too old for this $h*t" so don't think I will be waiting by the phone for your call Jim
      Oh please, your still younger than me, plenty of energy in ya, lol.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am a little worried about the sprinkler system...

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast