• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A before and after indoor koi "spa".

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
      What a timely post – I’m working on designs right now for an indoor tank… it looks to be my winter project.

A few questions:

1. Is the basic construction 2 X 6 “studs” w/ a lapped and lagged 2 X 6 waistband? It looks like you also have ½” plywood sistered in the waistband and along some of the stud bays?
      2. ½” or ¾” plywood interior?
      3. It looks like the polycarb is epoxied to the stud frame. How did you join the liner to the polycarbonate?
      4. Does your ½ polycarb bulge at all?

Great pictures, and sharp construction.

I’d love to take advantage of any your design improvements… then maybe it’ll only take me 8 tanks to get where you’re at!

Best regards,

-t
      I'll try to walk you through this, but it would be best to find my thread at the bottom of page two of this construction forum as well.

Think of this project in terms of "horizontal construction". Each rectangular beam is constructed on top of the other. The bottom beam is laid out and squared by measuring from corner to corner until equalized. Then the bottom 2X6s are tacked together using a finishing nailer and 2&1/2" nails. This is merely to hold them in position. The 3/4"plywood strips are then cut to create the lamination for the center bottom bracing. As you can see, the two bottom braces consist of a 2X6 crossmember topped with 3/4" plywood which is glued and laminated into the crossbeam.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

The next picture shown here indicates another layer of 2 X 6 set on top of the beam. It is glued and nailed with 3" ringshank framing nails(air powered). The two bottom braces do not laminate into the rectangular horizontal beam but merely butt up to it. The plywood part of the crossmember is the only part that is laminated into the structure. Every piece is glued and nailed with the same framing nails to provide a structure which can't possibly move.

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

This shows the completed bottom rectangular beam and some preparations for the middle one to begin. In the background you'll see a set of shorter braces and a set of longer ones. These will be used to set the middle and upper laminated beams into postion.

Remember: All parts of the rectangular laminated beams must be overlapped, glued and nailed preferably with 3" ringshank nails upon final completion of the last layer of the bottom and middle beams. Air power is a must!

Lori Jo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I Love It!! I would never leave the spa...sit there and watch the fish all day.
      L.J.
      Member of the NWK&G Club ZNA

I am KoiKichi Too!
      Love my pond pets and Fur Babies
      All Things Bright and Beautiful
      All Creatures Great and Small
      All Things Wise and Wonderful
      The Lord God Made Them All.
      R.I.P James Herriot

YADA YADA YADA BABY
      Skamu.com - The only place for Myspace icons, Orkut avatars, and profile codes

curlann is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

WOW AMAZING! I have a 1200 gallon intex pool with a Nexus Eazy Pod and a550 gph pump plus an airtech 40 with two airstones going. The water is a bit cloudy after only 5 days. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Have smaller koi and goldfish in here but after reading your post I must need a bigger pump???? I read somewhere not to put UV clarifier indoors. Are you using it to kill bacteria? Thanks!!!

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jo View Post
      I Love It!! I would never leave the spa...sit there and watch the fish all day.
      That does become somewhat of a problem for those who have them. They spend more time there than in their "living spaces"! Many have stereos, microwaves, easy chairs, and of course: popcorn!

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by curlann View Post
      WOW AMAZING! I have a 1200 gallon intex pool with a Nexus Eazy Pod and a550 gph pump plus an airtech 40 with two airstones going. The water is a bit cloudy after only 5 days. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Have smaller koi and goldfish in here but after reading your post I must need a bigger pump???? I read somewhere not to put UV clarifier indoors. Are you using it to kill bacteria? Thanks!!!
      Increase your filtration. Yes, always use a UV. Indoor tanks don't enjoy the value of sunlight UV. 1200 gallons indoors should be turned about three times an hour. More is better.

Lori Jo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiValley View Post
      That does become somewhat of a problem for those who have them. They spend more time there than in their "living spaces"! Many have stereos, microwaves, easy chairs, and of course: popcorn!
      That even makes it more of a problem! A problem I wish I had right now. I have lots of questions but I just need to read back through the thread because I am sure they have been asked already. I just went head first for all the purty pictures and purty fishes!
      L.J.
      Member of the NWK&G Club ZNA

I am KoiKichi Too!
      Love my pond pets and Fur Babies
      All Things Bright and Beautiful
      All Creatures Great and Small
      All Things Wise and Wonderful
      The Lord God Made Them All.
      R.I.P James Herriot

YADA YADA YADA BABY
      Skamu.com - The only place for Myspace icons, Orkut avatars, and profile codes

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

This picture shows the completed middle rectangular laminated beam which has been glued and nailed before being set on the lower braces. The lamination is all important on the two lower horizontal beams as they will provide the rigidity which will prevent movement or bulging. Water pressure is "down and out". To some extent the upper bracing and final horizontal beam is merely to provide a larger tank without increasing pressure on the upper levels.

The vertical corner supports are merely to give proper measurements so that a 4' X 8' plywood liner will fit properly. The corner supports; both lower and upper, are designed to provide a "backer" so that the 3/4" plywood is supported properly to prevent any possibility of blowout. They are 6&1/4" X 5&1/2" inside diameter.

You'll notice that the vertical supports have been laid out for measurements and placement. And you'll notice that they have all been laminated with 3/4" plywood as well. Strength of the horizontal beams is most important but the vertical supports must also be reinforced in these indoor spas if the length is 10' or more and the width is 8' or more. I would consider an 8' X 12' X 4' (which does not include the final 2 X 6 cap) to be ideal.

curlann is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Increase your filtration. Yes, always use a UV. Indoor tanks don't enjoy the value of sunlight UV. 1200 gallons indoors should be turned about three times an hour. More is better.
      Thanks for the words of wisdom.....so much to learn I will get more filtration going.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Both threads have great info so I stuck them both
      Marie

Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

This picture shows the final horizontal beam which has been constructed and set upon the upper four braces. It also indicates the spacing of the plywood laminate which allows for the crossmembers to be attached once the 2 X 6 part of the braces have been covered with 45mil rubber and then topped with 3/4"plywood. This level should be 48". The final layer of 2 X 6s will be screwed down using 3" deck screws so that in the event of a liner failure it can be removed. So the final height of the tank less the 2 X 2" covers is 49 & 1/2" tall.

The lower and upper braces are nailed in place using 3" ringshank nails, making sure good contact is made on the horizontal beams. Construction adhesive is not necessary.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Karl, it has been asked before but not answered, why no bottom drains in the spa's???
      Marie

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vipldy View Post
      Karl, it has been asked before but not answered, why no bottom drains in the spa's???
      The "pickups" which feed the pump will guide the waste product to the filtration equipment which need to be bled off in one way or another depending upon the design for each one. My decision to use bottom pickup for the waste products comes from my experience that the koi redigest waste products over the course of the day and it just doesn't require a bottom drain. Of course I do serious water changes and the filters are flushed out frequently. I have watched this as it has progressed over the years and I would still not suggest a bottom drain in this application.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The "pickups" which feed the pump will guide the waste product to the filtration equipment which need to be bled off in one way or another depending upon the design for each one. My decision to use bottom pickup for the waste products comes from my experience that the koi redigest waste products over the course of the day and it just doesn't require a bottom drain. Of course I do serious water changes and the filters are flushed out frequently. I have watched this as it has progressed over the years and I would still not suggest a bottom drain in this application.
      I would say that is an excellent answer Karl about the drains Thank you!
      Marie

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

I would say that is an excellent answer Karl about the drains Thank you!
      There is a bit more to it. I come from the aquarium and tropical fish industry where vacuuming is quite common. What I have found is that although koi are a dirty fish, they have an uncommon ability to redigest the waste in a manner that allows the filtration to pickup the final remainder, which is surprisingly small. They just need time to do the job. It is important to feed a diet which is low in waste. I have found a combination of food which seems to works well for me and my clients.

When I consider the concentration of koi in these tanks it always amazes me how little is needed to keep the water perfectly clear and completely under control.

Having built and serviced ten of these tanks I wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

And the finished product: A nice four window indoor koi spa. This one will be finished with birch cabinetry, and will provide years of enjoyment to their new owners.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Which will lead me to ask which food do you feed the indoor spa residents..
      Marie

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Which will lead me to ask which food do you feed the indoor spa residents..
      After many trials I have come to the conclusion that Backwater Gold, Max and Color in equal percentages is best for our collections. Less waste. More improvement in color and no problems in shiro development. I still am open to other trials and am working on one this month.

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

In this picture all three horizontal beams are in place. You'll notice that the top beam has a 2X6 base, and 3/4" plywood glued and nailed. However you should be able to see the spacing for the two cross members which will be installed once the plywood is notched for the bottom cross members, cut to size, glued and nailed. Then the plywood is inspected for sharp edges, all nail holes filled with putty or glue and the corners filled with a heavy bead of construction adhesive. It is fairly important to get the inside smooth to prevent damage to the liner.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast