• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The NEW Zakki Sieve Filters and a breif explanation of Wedge Wire Sieve Filters

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
      Would there need to be a check valve in the bottom drain line in case of power outage?
      Yes!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

CFPonder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just purchased one of these and hope to get it installed on my qt system soon to test it out.

I would think that if the sieve is installed partially below the water level, but with the top not lower than 7" above the water level (as Zac has mentioned), this would keep the bottom half to 2/3rds area flooded even with the pump off and lid off. In this scenario, a swing check valve would not be needed for the intake line. However, this may cause debris to sit in water more than if used higher up above the water level and therefore might lead to more debris dissolving in to the water before it gets flushed out.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by CFPonder; 11-04-2013 at 09:06 PM.

creekds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recently remodeled my pump/filter area and added the Zappi Sieve. It sits with the pond waterline just below the sieve screen and does not require a check valve. The waterline inside the sieve, while in service, is always below the sieve screen. Did not have room to add the prime pot, but everything has worked out perfect. Best improvement I have made to the pond, and worth every cent......

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Glad to hear that it's working great in this way as I plan to use it this way on my pond. My intake line will be 3" so it will be nice to not have to purchase & install the 3" size swing check (expensive & takes more space!).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CFPonder View Post
      Glad to hear that it's working great in this way as I plan to use it this way on my pond. My intake line will be 3" so it will be nice to not have to purchase & install the 3" size swing check (expensive & takes more space!).

The only problem was that my existing waste line was higher than the sieve waste outlet. Had to bury 1/2 of a 55 gallon barrel in a narrow space, and install a solid handling sump pump that I already had. The sieve requires gravity feed on the waste.

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Creekds- We need more info. Hows the clarity and such on the pond? No skimping on the details or pics, lol.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This year for the first time I had a doc problem, that a 40% per week water changes could not solve. Once the Zakki was installed it cleared up almost immediately. I believe it also had something to do with the BD's. They were installed before I knew better. At the time I designed and sold swimming pools.....get the picture. 1 1/2" gravity fed BD's don't cut it. Once the suction feed of 4000 gph thru the main BD started, everything cleared up and the water looks like glass.
      Again, best money spent was on the Zakki.
      Last edited by creekds; 11-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by creekds View Post
      The only problem was that my existing waste line was higher than the sieve waste outlet. Had to bury 1/2 of a 55 gallon barrel in a narrow space, and install a solid handling sump pump that I already had. The sieve requires gravity feed on the waste.
      Is it possible to pressurize the waste line by leaving the lid on and reversing the flow through the sieve while in bypass mode?

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Is it possible to pressurize the waste line by leaving the lid on and reversing the flow through the sieve while in bypass mode?
      The filter works on suction pressure, bypass could put water into it and force it out the drain in theory. My main concern is you would be creating pressure pushing outwards on the filter rather than the inward pressure its designed for. Too much outward pressure and you might crack the unit, break a seal, or damage the lid. I am not sure if Zac has tested for that.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My first cleaning cycle was with a disaster. There was not enough water leaving the tank and the pressure slightly lifted the lid, spraying water and air everywhere. I turned off the cleaning cycle and all was well. Then planned and built the sump tank.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This sounds like something I'll have to play a with a little. I would think that if only small amounts of debris is back flushed at a time & always making sure the drain line is open before gradually applying + pressure, the back pressure may not build up enough to cause the lid to start lifting up. I'll have to do some testing with it and go from there. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

bbmc88 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking foward to setting mine up in spring.

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

I just purchased one of these and hope to get it installed on my qt system soon to test it out.

I would think that if the sieve is installed partially below the water level, but with the top not lower than 7" above the water level (as Zac has mentioned), this would keep the bottom half to 2/3rds area flooded even with the pump off and lid off. In this scenario, a swing check valve would not be needed for the intake line. However, this may cause debris to sit in water more than if used higher up above the water level and therefore might lead to more debris dissolving in to the water before it gets flushed out.
      I am glad you were able to get your hands on one As for your question you are correct. If the inlet line never goes above pond water level then there is no need for a check valve on the inlet side. You still want to have a check valve on the outlet side of the sieve however so the water from the pond does not try and backflow through the sieve if the power goes off. This is especially important if the plumbing after your pump goes above pond water level because that water will try to back flow even if the sieve is installed above water level.

I hope all of that makes sense,
      Zac
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by creekds View Post
      My first cleaning cycle was with a disaster. There was not enough water leaving the tank and the pressure slightly lifted the lid, spraying water and air everywhere. I turned off the cleaning cycle and all was well. Then planned and built the sump tank.
      It is a good thing you were alone when that happened. It would be pretty embarrassing if the club members were around During the design phase of these filters I had soaked myself plenty of time by turning a valve the wrong way and not realizing it until it was too late. Always make sure the water has somewhere to go when backwashing the filter.

Yes this is possible, but the weak link is the o-ring seal. The draw latches were selected due to the quick access they provide to the internals of the filter. They do a great job of getting a preliminary seal on the o-ring and once the vacuum pressure is applied physics does the rest. Those latches are not strong enough to create a seal under positive pressure so air will start to leak and the water will rise in the filter. As long as you are aware of this fact and stop the flow when necessary you should be okay. You can create a couple psi of positive pressure inside the filter but remember the water level will rise on you so pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      The filter works on suction pressure, bypass could put water into it and force it out the drain in theory. My main concern is you would be creating pressure pushing outwards on the filter rather than the inward pressure its designed for. Too much outward pressure and you might crack the unit, break a seal, or damage the lid. I am not sure if Zac has tested for that.
      Thanks for looking out but these filters are built like a tank so i don't think our koi pond pumps can damage the filter container. However freight companies always try their best to break things and last week they finally managed to break the outer container on a customers filter. This thing had to of been slammed into by something really heavy...

904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zac, the first couple of times I cleaned the filter, I had a diagram and markings on the valves. Now it is a no brainer (which I don't have sometimes).

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

They did a number on that unit, still jealous of the dome lid though.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      They did a number on that unit, still jealous of the dome lid though.
      If you promise to be my best friend maybe I will bring an extra one to the show for you!

You will be responsible for reminding me of this statement before I leave for the show
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Heck I will take it on the Friday and Saturday bring you the flat one back lol. You should just stop by the house on the way in, I am not too far off I4 north of downtown. See the pond, my alterations and such.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      If you promise to be my best friend maybe I will bring an extra one to the show for you!

You will be responsible for reminding me of this statement before I leave for the show
      I love the flat lid, gives me somewhere to put my beer while I back flush the thing

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      I love the flat lid, gives me somewhere to put my beer while I back flush the thing
      Don't give me any more ideas......now I'll have to build a table over my dome lid !!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast