• Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I have Wakin babies

cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is has 2 new tosai

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      New year, new babies, trying to figure out how to save them, right now the size of eyelashes. The cattle trough is an idea, will pump water from the wakin pond and cover with hyacinth.
      Quote Originally Posted by jjspond View Post
      Cindy, I highly doubt it was anything you did. Especially losing that many, they must have had something. I catch eyelash babies out of my filter, their only chance it either back in the pond, or in some other container. I put 3 in a small kitchen bowl. The first that was in there had a chance to grow before I put in another, the 1st was probably 4 x bigger by that time... and I think the 2nd got eaten. I put in another, a very bright little fellow who found he could hide in the suction cup that wasn't quite up against the glass. He grew big enough as now I see him swimming around, for added protection I did add more hornwort to the bowl.

I've also put 6 of eyelash size in a lily container that temps rise and fall 10-20 degrees day to night I bet, I saw one in there 1/2" long the other day. So they're tough, but I bet any micro-buggies can take them down fast.

How big are the two you have left? They're probably very, very tough.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
      Maybe next year you could get your empty stock tank out & try growing out the eggs/fry in that with waterlilies/plants in it for hiding. During the warmest days have an air pump running.

Sorry to hear you lost the fry.

gatorlover is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cindy, I just put the eggs in a stock tank filled with water from the well, but you could use pond water. I don't use any filtration or air stone or anything. You could add some floating plants for them to hide in. Then when they are a few weeks old I put some Blackwater Gold fish food in the blender, make powder. Then I start sprinkling a little on top of the water several times a day. I do have the tank sitting under a tree for shade because the sun does get hot in Florida....Like it doesn't anywhere else.LOL And I don't put anything to kill mosquito larvae either, so they can feast on them also.
      Glenda

Only GOD can turn a MESS into a MESSage, a TEST into a TESTimony, a TRIal into a TRIumph, a VICTim into a VICTory. GOD is GOOD... all the time!

Lord when you build my cabin in the corner of Glory-Land, Please be sure to include a fish pond. Thanks

God closes doors no man can open and God opens doors no man can close.

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cool! I do so miss my Wakin! I just have comets now.
      Putting the trough in the shade is good idea. Do the best you can and hope for survival.
      Good Luck Cindy!!

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

is has 2 new tosai

Feeling:
      Happy

I pulled the hyacinth out for a look see last night and they have their little tails. Thinking about putting some type of flow thru in the wakin pond for the babies with hyacinth on the top.

I lost my big goldie yesterday in the bedroom aquarium and the remaining one is upside down so no more fish in the house. The aquarium and all the filters are for sale.

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is not looking forward to Winter.

Feeling:
      Sad

Cindy so sorry for the loss of your goldie & your other goldie being sick. Best of luck with your Wakins.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Kat is offline "Petal Pusher"
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Congrats on your new wakin babies (if you do use a stock tank make sure it isn't galvanized, use a poly or structural foam) & sorry to hear about your inside goldfish.

Golden is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know they'll be greatly loved where they call "home" Looking forward to "as they grow" pics

is has 2 new tosai

Feeling:
      Happy

I didn't move them quick enough and it hit 98 degrees I feel so bad. If I put them in the pond, the filter or their siblings would have ate them. Watching for more eggs.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bummer, babies are delicate.

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

smallfry is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh, I am so happy to see your little tails!
      Like your other Koiphen pals, I would adore more in my pond. If ya'll decide to thin out please keep me add me to a wish list

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
      Oh, I am so happy to see your little tails!
      Like your other Koiphen pals, I would adore more in my pond. If ya'll decide to thin out please keep me add me to a wish list
      You should read the whole thread here, maybe you didn't see that both batches of fry didn't make it adulthood.

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is getting close to retiring

Feeling:
      Sad

This year I did NOT put any eye lash sized fry in my little kitchen bowl. The two that were in there were moved into the living room pond (30 gallon) once the tropical plants were put out, along with 2 others I had in a 15 gallon. Those will go out to the pond something this month.

Cindy, I have probably 2 dozen or more that I put in a 50 gallon stock tank, no filtration, water temp at the surface 92F at one point. I put an umbrella over it and still got warm. There is 1 lily and a big snow flake plant in there. The fry have done very well. There isn't even a bubbler in there! They too will go out to the pond, though I may grab a few of the smaller colorful ones and put in the 15 gallon for winter.

Then there was my 70 gallon stock tank that I put extra anacharis into... and yup, now I have babies in there! So I've got them everywhere, too bad some of you don't live closer, I could stock a pond or two, that is for sure. Seems the babies that survive in the pond usually are the throw backs to the single tail. Lots of culling next year if I can get many of these to winter over.
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is getting close to retiring

Feeling:
      Sad

Took some pics after I posted. Upper part of pics, if you look closely, you'll see the darker ones under the water surface:
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Cindy...I'm trying to save the baby that was in the clover from a friends pond. I put it into a 100 gal tank. It is only about an inch or so long.
      I also added a baby from Walmart so he wouldn't be alone. I have a water lily and some water cabbage (?) in there also. But, my question is..
      I added a spitter for some air. Now, I know he lived in a bucket with no water changes, no air, no food for months..should I leave the spitter on
      or turn it off? Especially since it will be down to 45 degrees tonite..
      When I first got my pond and the house there were goldfish in the pond..but, I haven't dealt with them in years..so I'm a newbie at this.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is not looking forward to Winter.

Feeling:
      Sad

Bump!

I would love to see so pics.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      Bump!

I would love to see so pics.
      I will try to take some pics of the babies (if you meant me Nancy) Another friend also found babies in his flowers, so he gave them to me on Saturday.
      So now he has family..they were from the same spawn. The goldfish from Walmart died the next day..so I was worried about "Duncan". But they are all doing
      well. I did a water change this a.m. But, still unsure about the bubbler? From what I'm reading people don't have any air going. I have 8 total and they are
      around an inch long. I removed the water hyacinths this a.m they were looking bad. So still have the water lettuce and a lily in there.
      So, I'd appreciate any suggestions. It will be 50 tonight.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234