• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 week old Koi Fry and Costia - what to do?

jameskoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

majederr: thanks!

One koi dealer put it this way to me and I totally agree. We can only control parasites, not eliminate them. Maybe there is an off chance that we can in a totally isolated and clean environment. Heck, even the food we feed them might introduce parasites. The 130G suffered off the chart ammonia spike (I think ammo-lock saved the day). I even swapped bio media to give my 130G tank a big boost and the effect was back to zero overnight. If there wasn't any costia before that, the media swap sealed the deal. haha

Here's day 16 video of the fry. I lost hundreds and hundreds after Day 7 due to costia. Who knows, maybe a thousand. I can't really tell. Still have too many fry. The small and weak ones died. 90% had empty bellies.

Oh well.. the culling already started. I actually want the smaller ones to live. They're suppose to have better chance of turning into quality koi.

Last edited by jameskoi; 04-23-2011 at 11:06 PM.
      1500G basement pond; three DIY 55G barrel filters; metal halide coming soon; want another pond

- orange Doitsu; death by ulcer
      !

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

What did the parents look like? Pictures please.

proudly Canadian

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kohaku is the female.

My only complaint is they are the worse quality and growth genes in my herd. They're the smallest ones, and that is why I moved them to 130G tank to keep the bio filter active. haha
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      1500G basement pond; three DIY 55G barrel filters; metal halide coming soon; want another pond

!

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Figgered there had to be some yamabuki blood in there somewhere...

thanks for the vid!

steve

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Cool looking male!
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Final update (I hope), fry are doing fine again. New problem. Ammonia levels up again. Using ammo-lock. I am now a firm believer that this stuff works.

I'm skeptical that proform-c claims it does not harm biological filter. It probably does damage. I my media swap ate up at least 4ppm of ammonia over night ~10 days ago. Now it can't even handle regular feedings.

!

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Be careful with ammo-lock. That is the one product that I recommend against using as a binder, since I've had issues with it before. It's continued use will cause a pH crash (or contribute to it, whichever way you choose to look at it). While it binds the ammonia, the resulting product lowers the pH. I use Seachem's Prime, which does not alter the pH. I have also used Amquel Plus. With that many fry contributing to the ammonia load, your pH can crash at any time, especially if you're having spikes. I believe others also use a product called ultimate? (or something that begins with a "U").

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay.. thanks for the tip. I did notice pH going down too (thought that was weird) and I keep adjusting with baking soda. I do have a bottle of Prime as a backup.

!

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I prefer Prime primarily because of the binding of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and heavy metals (and rare overdosing) without altering the pH; Seachem stands behind their products, and will give you the reason why their product does not alter the pH; they also offer insights into why their products work like they do. I've emailed them a few times on their stuff, including prime, and they're always quick to respond. after I lost a tankful of fish, and didn't know why, I started investigating, and all roads led to the ammolock (and of course, my non-knowledge about buffering the KH). Hope your fry keep doing well!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: Fry in both tanks doing fine now. Still have over 2000 fry I think. Maybe losing a dozen a day. I don't know why. They look healthy, eating and nice bellies and they just go kaput. I sampled some dying ones and found zero parasites. When I have time, I should extract some gill samples. At any rate, a dozen dead a day not a concern to me (need to cull anyway). If they start dropping like flies which lead to costia discovery, I would be concerned again.

As for Prime... The only draw back is that it only attacks 1ppm of ammonia vs 3ppm with ammo-lock. At a price point, ammo-lock is better for the $$$. I'm glad I still have some ammo-lock left. On top of all that, Proform-C might not be good with Prime...

One thing's for sure, even with proper dosage of Proform-C, it does harm the biological filters. It takes over a week to recover.

!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lynnwood53 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm newbie at taking care of koi. I ended up with 24 i rescued from a backyard pond they were digging up. They range from 2" to 8". And then a few days later there were over a humdred fry. And i should say only 5 of these 24 are in a pond, the rest are in tanks. Anyway the fry were doing great the all of a sudden they started dropping like flies. I noticed a weird little worm like bug while cleaning one of the tanks. Don't know for sure that is costia, but it sounds like it is by the descriptions iv'e been reading.

I guess my main question is if i start putting salt in the tank now, will it help the sick ones, and keep the other ones healthy, or healthier? Had a korean friend that believed that putting salt in your tanks on a regular basis would help and kind of fish.

So to add salt or not to this 10 gallon fry tank. At this point if i don't do something i'll lose them all. And the ones in the pond just keep laying eggs, and there hatching. I would appreciate any ideas or help on what to do. Thank you

lynnwood53allynn@gmail.com

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by lynnwood53 View Post
      I'm newbie at taking care of koi. I ended up with 24 i rescued from a backyard pond they were digging up. They range from 2" to 8". And then a few days later there were over a humdred fry. And i should say only 5 of these 24 are in a pond, the rest are in tanks. Anyway the fry were doing great the all of a sudden they started dropping like flies. I noticed a weird little worm like bug while cleaning one of the tanks. Don't know for sure that is costia, but it sounds like it is by the descriptions iv'e been reading.

I guess my main question is if i start putting salt in the tank now, will it help the sick ones, and keep the other ones healthy, or healthier? Had a korean friend that believed that putting salt in your tanks on a regular basis would help and kind of fish.

So to add salt or not to this 10 gallon fry tank. At this point if i don't do something i'll lose them all. And the ones in the pond just keep laying eggs, and there hatching. I would appreciate any ideas or help on what to do. Thank you

lynnwood53allynn@gmail.com
      I'm sorry for your troubles but welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!
      It's not costia if you can see it. Costia is only visible with a microscope.
      Do you have a way to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and your pH? That's the first place I'd
      start if the fry are dying. You can usually find the test kits at your local pet store... look for something
      like these:

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/T...ng-sc-443.html
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12