• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 32 of 32

    Thread: WWKC Judges Koi & Goldfish Walk About

    1. #21
      afertuna's Avatar
      afertuna is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      portland, or
      Posts
      194
      They Wakin comes in several colors the red and white is what the standard is based on . They do come in many different color blue,saddleback, Bi and Tri color,Midnight or Blue J, calico and much more.

    2. #22
      cindy's Avatar
      cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is :)
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Posts
      64,577
      my goldies eat koi food

    3. #23
      KirstenK is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      3
      First, I thank you for letting me be part of this, as I am totally newbie.
      I am registered with a Ginrin Chagoi # 43-560, 1 Yellow-white? Ginrin (Israel) # 43-564, and 1 Shiro Utsuri (Kaneko) # 43-565, for this virtual show.
      Can the judges tell me a bit about these different Koi. And I would like to know a little more about the different classes.
      I am a bit curious on the additional awards: Wwkc President's Award (sponsored by World Wide Koi Club), for Koi No # 43-560, can anyone tell me about it?
      Was this too much to ask, then I apologize, I'm just really curious..

    4. #24
      cindy's Avatar
      cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is :)
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Posts
      64,577
      The President of WWKC would have chosen your fish. Very Nice. Size 2 (8" To 12") Gin B


    5. #25
      Graham's Avatar
      Graham is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Halifax Nova Scotia
      Posts
      5,418
      Quote Originally Posted by KirstenK View Post
      First, I thank you for letting me be part of this, as I am totally newbie.
      I am registered with a Ginrin Chagoi # 43-560, 1 Yellow-white? Ginrin (Israel) # 43-564, and 1 Shiro Utsuri (Kaneko) # 43-565, for this virtual show.
      Can the judges tell me a bit about these different Koi. And I would like to know a little more about the different classes.
      I am a bit curious on the additional awards: Wwkc President's Award (sponsored by World Wide Koi Club), for Koi No # 43-560, can anyone tell me about it?
      Was this too much to ask, then I apologize, I'm just really curious..



      Hi Glad you entered the show. These two fish are in the Gin B class which is any fish that's not Gosanke which would be Gin A(kohaku, sanke, or showa). One is a Chagoi and the other a Platinium. The Chagoi has an even body colour throughout the fish were as the Platinium does not. That yellow head is a major draw back to it. That may fill in as the fish get bigger and older but at this point the shiro skin has filled in and the skull is visible.

      The Chagoi also has even looking/balanced scales with a decent reticulation down it's body. Where as the Platinium looks to have various sized scales. The gin maybe better on the Platinium but the Chagoi's body is better. It also has great pecs Overall a nicer fish, hence the 1st




      You shiro is a very nice fish with a great head. A little more shiro on the tail area would be nice ..........
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    6. #26
      KirstenK is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      The President of WWKC would have chosen your fish. Very Nice. Size 2 (8" To 12") Gin B
      I am honored..and I think this Koi plan to get very big..

    7. #27
      McKTX's Avatar
      McKTX is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      North Central Texas
      Posts
      3,818
      Quote Originally Posted by afertuna View Post
      Well I am glad to meet you. Your fish are an example of if you had a better pic they would have done better. I couldnt tell if they were in mid swim or in the first pic I would say it was close to the edge of the tub you had them in. Look at cindy's fish tank 7 fish 2......She let the fish settle before the pic.You can see the tail spread the body is basically the wakin standard dorsal is far enough back. I REALLY liked your first fish The color the crisp white and deep red IT is an amazing fish I just couldnt put it in a better placement due to the tail Bruce and I both had a hard time with the Wakins mainly since most of the pics had the fish swimming which clamps or curls the finnage.The second fish is from a more straight on view not a top so I cant get a good idea of the body shape and the finnage.As far as the koi food this is fine for the wakins it wont harm them they are not a heavy body they are basically just a common with a fan tail.Which I am sure you will hear 50 different feeding rules just like the koi LOL!!

      Thank you so much, better armed for the virtual show next year in the photo dept! I now look at the pictures and see what you are talking about!

      These fish more than doubled in size on the koi food.

      Thank you!
      The two enemies of the people are criminals and government.

      No one can ruin your day without YOUR permission!!!

      "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle


      ADOPT A RESCUED PET!
      !!DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE OTHERS DIE!!
      TO NEUTER IS CUTER!
      Click for McKinney, Texas Forecast

    8. #28
      BigRedKoi's Avatar
      BigRedKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Billings, Montana
      Posts
      2,125
      how about comments on tank #35 i know its not show quality and it was givin to me so it had a good home but some folks said i should enter in and i did, and i am very glad i took part in the show! Next year i think i will have alittle better quality koi to enter
      Austin

      Koi-keeping is a hobby that generates obsession.

      BWK 5 gallon bucket challenge champion!



    9. #29
      Graham's Avatar
      Graham is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Halifax Nova Scotia
      Posts
      5,418
      Quote Originally Posted by BigRedKoi View Post
      how about comments on tank #35 i know its not show quality and it was givin to me so it had a good home but some folks said i should enter in and i did, and i am very glad i took part in the show! Next year i think i will have alittle better quality koi to enter


      It's always fun to have fish in a show, regardless of the quality.

      Since this is a LF the 1st thing that we have to look at are the fins, are they proportional to the size of the fish, you want neither too large or too small...They should extend back to just behind the start of the dorsal, here they are about right. The video shows this much better than the pic. The next thing are the pecs held properly, do they have the structure to be held out from the body or are they collapsed against the body; a lack of ''shoulder''...the pic doesn't show it but the video did and they do have that structure. The next thing is are the pecs long and thin or twisted...here they are not twisted but slightly thin. The pecs shouldn't be frayed too much especially in small fish and definitely no splits....this fish is fine.

      The tail fin should be about the same length as the pecs maybe a bit longer but still proportional to each other

      The next thing the fish should be a recognized variety...in this case thats no problem....but now the standards of a Shiro Bekko apply. It should have good solid Shiro the length of the fish and unfortunately this fish a very yellow head. The fins carry that yellowish translucent appearance also. The Sumi placement isn't bad but could have a couple of more steps in the front end.

      Confirmation would be looked at next and a lot of LF's have long thing bodies, females included and this one fall into the trait. LF's should have the same body type as standard koi.

      HTH

      G

      EDIT...when anyone is taking pics of thier fish they need the classic glamour shot where you're looking striaght on at the fish and the fins are held out, not against the body.
      Last edited by Graham; 10-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.

    10. #30
      Noahsnana's Avatar
      Noahsnana is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      So. MD
      Posts
      51,046
      For Afertuna or Bruce

      Just some feed back please... like said prior not much info on Wakin. I just bought what I liked visually the Red & White lol but would love to hear a serious critique

      Tank 18

      Goldies are all I entered couldn't catch my koi
      The will of God will not take you where the grace of God cannot keep you. .....
      "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill Zone 7a
      I believe it can happen... Koi World Peace
      "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

    11. #31
      BruceP's Avatar
      BruceP is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      3,190
      Thanx to those who put in all the effort it takes to put on a show. Also to those that took the time to take pix of there fish. I know it isnt easy sometimes to get a good pic. What it takes is patience and ALOT of pix to get a good one, and I commend those that participated. It was fun judging with Allen as he said, he and I think alot alike when it comes to choosing fish.
      To those that DIDN'T win the big prizes: Dont fret; your fish may have been just as nice as the GC but on this particular day the GC showed some feature that stood out.
      Congrats goes out to ALL participants!!!
      Bruce

      "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." Albert Einstein

      Every good landscaping project starts with a hole!



    12. #32
      BigRedKoi's Avatar
      BigRedKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Billings, Montana
      Posts
      2,125
      Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post


      It's always fun to have fish in a show, regardless of the quality.

      Since this is a LF the 1st thing that we have to look at are the fins, are they proportional to the size of the fish, you want neither too large or too small...They should extend back to just behind the start of the dorsal, here they are about right. The video shows this much better than the pic. The next thing are the pecs held properly, do they have the structure to be held out from the body or are they collapsed against the body; a lack of ''shoulder''...the pic doesn't show it but the video did and they do have that structure. The next thing is are the pecs long and thin or twisted...here they are not twisted but slightly thin. The pecs shouldn't be frayed too much especially in small fish and definitely no splits....this fish is fine.

      The tail fin should be about the same length as the pecs maybe a bit longer but still proportional to each other

      The next thing the fish should be a recognized variety...in this case thats no problem....but now the standards of a Shiro Bekko apply. It should have good solid Shiro the length of the fish and unfortunately this fish a very yellow head. The fins carry that yellowish translucent appearance also. The Sumi placement isn't bad but could have a couple of more steps in the front end.

      Confirmation would be looked at next and a lot of LF's have long thing bodies, females included and this one fall into the trait. LF's should have the same body type as standard koi.

      HTH

      G

      EDIT...when anyone is taking pics of thier fish they need the classic glamour shot where you're looking striaght on at the fish and the fins are held out, not against the body.
      Thank you very much graham makes alot of sence and i learned alot about LF i didn't know thank you so much
      Austin

      Koi-keeping is a hobby that generates obsession.

      BWK 5 gallon bucket challenge champion!



    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •