• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistant fish lice

boarhunter67 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Persistant fish lice

I have treated 3 times now with the trichloracide, and I'm reasonably sure the dosage I'm using is correct, but it isn't having any effect whatsoever. I treated for the third time Thursday and today they are still covering my koi. Any suggestions?

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is At age 78, doing well as a
      full time graduate stud

Feeling:
      Awesome

The usual effective treatment for fish lice is Dimilin.
      Started as a full time graduate student in Environmental Science in Jan 2019 at age 77 now to start a new career. Still using potassium permanganate to regularly clean up the pond and the koi. Have developed a package of age regression technology to become younger instead of older. Doing great!

Bgonz is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used Dimlin last season with great results.

Had to buy 5lbs of it !!!!

Hint,hint,hint..............................

bob
      I'm a Water Gardner by definition...... but I like Koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was told dimilin and trichloricide were the same active ingredient. On the trichloricide description it says it's for flukes and fish lice. I guess I could try the dimilin. I did read that many fish lice are becoming resistant to treatments and that diflubenzuron is a good one time treatment that kills the lice and the eggs, but isn't harmful to fish or filters. Does anyone have experience with it?

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by boarhunter67 View Post
      I was told dimilin and trichloricide were the same active ingredient. On the trichloricide description it says it's for flukes and fish lice. I guess I could try the dimilin. I did read that many fish lice are becoming resistant to treatments and that diflubenzuron is a good one time treatment that kills the lice and the eggs, but isn't harmful to fish or filters. Does anyone have experience with it?
      dimiln is your best bet....it isn't affected by organics as much as dylox[trichlorfon].........if you have plants in your pond I'd pull them out and treat them in a seperate container triple dose....plants are great hatcheries for the lice........badly affected fish should be caught and manually pull the adults off.........

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is doing OK

Feeling:
      Cool

Where do fish lice come from? Birds? Other animals visiting? I have all manner of animals visiting and I haven't had any parasites in 7 years. Could this be because I PP the pond weekly? No longer add plants, either. Put a shade sail up instead.

Oh well, sorry to ramble, hope you get the treatment you need with the fish lice. I would definitely pull the adults off if possible and throw them in some bleach. Then treat the rest of the nasties.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have so many plants many without containers in the waterfall, so I can't really pull them all out. If the demilin really kills all the fish lice, why bother pulling the adults off the koi or treating the plants separately?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have so many plants many without containers in the waterfall, so I can't really pull them all out. If the demilin really kills all the fish lice, why bother pulling the adults off the koi or treating the plants separately?
      you would pull the lice off to help with the egg cycle.....dimilin doesn't kill on contact ,,,it effects the he shell of the lice ...and slowly kills them,,since they have no outer shell...........
      you're going to have an issue,,,,,,,,,,,,,for dimilin or trichlorfon to be effective ,,,,everything needs to be submersed under the water.................lice can thrive in cracks and crevices ....areas that are just damp........................you're best bet is bypass the water fall,,,,,,soak all the plants....let the water fall completly dry out for a min of 2 weeks.............you most likelly brought the lice in with the plants or possibly a bird,frog or even a water snake.......
      ......water gardens can be lice factory's,,,if the plants aren't properlly QT'd and treated.....................if it we me ,,,I'd go to the effort of pulling the water fall apart so it can totally sun dry...................fish lice eggs can go a long time in a damp area with out hatching and as soon as it gets a little wet they hatch ......you have alot of work ahead of you..........but unless you go threw the efforts of pulling the plants and soaking them and letting water fall dry out......you will most likelly have to use a whole lotta of dimilin,for a extended amount of time...................

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My waterfall can't be pulled apart because it's concrete and rocks. I can let it dry out and hopefully that won't affect my water grass or irises. The other water plants I will have to try to figure out how to take out and submerge. For how long should they be submerged?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay I have the dimilin. Now I just have to figure out how to measure out 1.5 grams.

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A penny is 2.5 grams. Are you sure about the dosage? That seems pretty small. Dimilin is quite forgiving, but at such a small dose it would be easy to double or even triple by accident. I'm not sure at what point it would be bad for the koi. Gram scales are cheap and a good thing to have around in the future. Also, Dimilin in powder form is hard to mix... put it in a gallon and shake the heck out of it before adding to the pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by avorancher View Post
      A penny is 2.5 grams. Are you sure about the dosage? That seems pretty small. Dimilin is quite forgiving, but at such a small dose it would be easy to double or even triple by accident. I'm not sure at what point it would be bad for the koi. Gram scales are cheap and a good thing to have around in the future. Also, Dimilin in powder form is hard to mix... put it in a gallon and shake the heck out of it before adding to the pond.
      prazi is hard to mix....never had any problems with dimilin..................

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My waterfall can't be pulled apart because it's concrete and rocks. I can let it dry out and hopefully that won't affect my water grass or irises. The other water plants I will have to try to figure out how to take out and submerge. For how long should they be submerged?
      2 weeks submerse to ensure you get all the eggs cycles..............that is good that your water falll is concreted...less crevices,the better...............pure dimilin is 1 g per 1,000 galons...........gram scales are the best for accuracy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was told 1 gram per 1000 gallons. Is that correct?

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is what pearlharborday stated above. I have used an agriculture product with the same ingredient as dimilin, so the doseage is likely different. My pond is a little larger, so I was surprised when I first heard 1.5 grams, but it is probably correct for a 1,500 gallon pond.

TLD is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been trying to rid my pond of fish lice for about two months now, but I have not yet tried dimilin. I have always been told that dimilin is what I should use, but I cannot seem to find it. I have tried trichloracide and proform-la with zero results. I am starting to get a little disheartened, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by TLD View Post
      I have been trying to rid my pond of fish lice for about two months now, but I have not yet tried dimilin. I have always been told that dimilin is what I should use, but I cannot seem to find it. I have tried trichloracide and proform-la with zero results. I am starting to get a little disheartened, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
      do you have a rock bottom or plants in the pond???????

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No rocks and no plants

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Diflubenzuron, 25% wetable powder. Generally it comes in small packets designed for mixing when spraying, but the downside is the amount you have to purchase. It is used frequently in greenhouses to rid plants of all manner of bugs. So, check with your greenhouse retailers or try a wholesale greenhouse supply. Many states now require a license to purchase. The fines are horrendous. Do not try to market, sell, or distribute this product. Follow the rules and be on the safe side.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just wanted to update everyone and restate what most people already know. The "new stuff" whether it be the Proform-LA or the cyropro are not worth the money. Spend your time and energy trying to track down the dimilin. I tried the Proform-LA for many weeks and even tried upping the dose, since it was easier to get and "would certainly work" according to the people who stood to profit from it all. When I finally added the dimilin, it was only a matter of days before the problem was gone. I am going to add one more dose of dimilin just to make sure they are all gone and won't be coming back, but they seemed to all be gone after two doses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast