• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing tropical lily tubers

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Hi John,

Letting the pond slowly evaporate is pretty much exactly what I do....doesn't make for an ornamental pond you'd want to enter into a tour.<g> As it happens, our dry season coincides with the end of my primary planting season; so I just turn a blind eye and let the levels fall. Obviously depending on rainfall we do get, the process can be surprisingly quick. The level can drop below the crown of the plant in 4 weeks are so.

The biggest danger....we have some kind of subterranean beetle here that can get into the pots if the water gets too low and whatever the hell they are....they devour tubers! You don't even know they are there until you dump the pots.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Jonna is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does it need to go all the way below the crown of the plant Craig? Or, if it got low enough that there were a few inches of water over the pot, would that be sufficient? Temps do fall here but not enough to matter in this instance. If it were in very shallow water it would probably be warmer in fact due to the sun.

Teresa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wonder if you could simulate the gradual drying out by bringing the pot out of the pond and slowly letting it dry out completely.

BullGator is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I thought of that as well Teresa, but I'd think you'd have to keep a pretty close eye on them or they would dry out too quickly.
      John

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

See My Koi Pond

See My Lily Pond

Teresa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I keep most of my lilies in pots on the patio rather than in the pond and I think I could do it just by not adding water to their pots. The only problem would be if it actually rained here - which it hasn't done on a regular basis in a long time.

Feeling:
      Amused

This will be all speculation in that I have never tried anything but letting the water drop so the pot was left standing in only 2-3" of water...and I use pots with holes...but I believe it is an all or nothing thing in that I have lilies do just fine with a few inches of water over the crown. If water is there and pads floating, I can't think what would cause a stress response.

By the same token, if you raised the pot gradually out of the water, I think you would achieve the same results. But removing it completely....again assuming pots with holes...? I think that would be too quick for the lily. It is a bit of a delicate dance in that the lily needs sufficient time to channel its energies away from growing and blooming and into storing nutrients in tubers. Short of a dam giving way, water levels fall much more gradually with the onset of a dry season and it is my assumption that lilies need that time.

Now, once the tubers are formed, pretty much anything goes. I know of one person that removed the pots at that point and stored them dry until he was ready to replant. I don't think most people grasp just how little moisture is required for a tuber to survive. It will readily survive in conditions too dry for fungus to grow, so why needlessly expose yourself to harsh fungicides?

Me, I 'store' them in the dried pond until I am ready to plant. Full sun, cold nights (understanding that a night here at or near freezing is exceptionally frigid) and all..which includes the occasional meager rain we get in winter. Generally it is just enough to keep them from getting bone dry for too long. Plus it is a good excuse to procrastinate on cleaning out the pond.<g>
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Jonna is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No, letting them go dry scares me too much. Plus, my Foxfire is blooming away and has a lot of leaves up and I hope it will continue to bloom this winter. I think I'll pull it and take a look at the base, just in case, and give it some more compost and fert and put it back. If there is enough of a stem at the base I may try laying it sideways.

RCPing is offline Senior Member
      is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

I have had a few pots with lily tubers stored in my basement before as an experiment. The pot did not have holes in it. The dirt was kept wet. They survived. The coldest it got was 50*F. There was also not hardly any light. It was a night blooming lily. I would not do this with very many of my lilies. It was an experiment. For me the damp sand works better. I had to store my tubers for 8 months. There is a big difference storing lily tubers that long compared to a few months. I will keep using damp sand and Captan.

Feeling:
      Amused

And you are certainly welcome to store them as you please, but John, Jonna and Teresa asked specific questions as to my method, which I addressed. As for duration and viability.....I have stored them in the mesh bags for a year plus....sans the harsh chemicals. So I will keep using my method....and I will do so for any and all types of Nympahea tubers.

Craig

is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

Yes you to do what works for you. There is more than one way to store tubers and if it works for you then it is good to keep doing what you do. Different people have different methods. As long as their methods work then they should keep doing what works for them. I have long hard winters here.
      Last edited by RCPing; 09-13-2010 at 05:30 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Feeling:
      Amused

If they can be stored a year+ at room temperature, winter is not a factor. Assuming the ponder is not an Inuit in an Igloo.<g>

Craig

is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

' LOL No I am not an Inuit and I don't live in an igloo. I store mine as stated. I started this thread for anyone to post how they store their tropical lily tubers. Anyone is welcome to post what methods they use. I have stored tubers this way for years. I have stored over 200 tubers every winter the last few years and lost very few. But anyone cans lose some no matter how you store them.
      Last edited by RCPing; 09-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.

fernlady1559 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

While we're on subject of tubers -- this is slightly off this topic, but near it.
      I store my tubers rolled in Captan, in sand in baggie; in 5 gallon bucket with lid
      on it, at about 60 degrees. I do have a dinky little refrig that I bought one day when
      I'd bumped my head or something and thought it would hold my tubers. It won't!!
      Anyways, question is what would your expect the life expectancy of those tubers in the little refrigerator to be. It is full of '08 tubers. Am wondering should I just throw them all out.
      Temperature in refrig. is 50 degrees constant.

Marie
      Last edited by fernlady1559; 09-13-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add to

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

For four years I would bring mine ( Lavender Lace & Miami Rose ) inside ( Nov. ) in a patio pond. I would keep them in a south facing window. They held their surface leaves until about March. Then in late April they would start getting new, but small pads. I put them back outside in May.
      Last year for the first time, I just left them outside in the pond. This past winter was the coldest we have had since I have lived here. I thought they would most likely die. In May new leaves were up. I think I will leave them out this winter too. I just don't have the room to keep them inside now.

This is a very good thread.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

Thanks Nancy. I am glad they lived for you. Maybe they will again this winter too.

andrew davis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

oh, throw them out Marie. Pop them in a box with my address on, pretty please!

Regards, andy
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
      http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I love the pics that Craig posted..I think some ppl do better by seeing how its done better than reading directions Keep it coming!!
      Marie

Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper

Swimming Jewel is offline Queen of the Jungle
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thumbs up

I agree Marie!
      ...Joyce

www.peacefulponds.org

“Guilt is always jealous.”
      John Ray

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
      It will never fail you.”

Frank Lloyd Wright

“There is only one good; knowledge, and one evil; ignorance” ...Socrates

'When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.' ...Sinclair Lewis

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy ... USMC

vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Found last 2 years thread on the same thing...

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ropical-lilies
      Marie

Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I've left mine in my pond and they seem to do OK - the water gets down to mid 30s in the dead of Winter, but they've survived so far.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast