• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Koi Food Shack

KatieVL is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Koi Food Shack

Has anyone bought from from the Koi Food Shack? The site says it compares to Hikari, but is no name. http://www.koifoodshack.com/categories/PREMIUM-PELLETS/

What do you think of the ingredients?

Guaranteed Analysis
      Crude Protein.......Min. 35.0%
      Crude Fat............Min. 3.0%
      Crude Fiber..........Max. 5.0%
      Calcium..............Min. 0.75%
      Calcium..............Max. 1.25%
      Phosphorus..........Min. 0.65%
      Sodium..............Min. 0.10%
      Sodium..............Max. 0.30%
      INGREDIENTS: Wheat germ meal, white fish meal, shrimp meal, ground oats, dehydrated alfalfa, krill meal, brewers dried yeast, soybean meal, dried sour whey, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cane molasses, dried beet pulp, wheat germ, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, calcium carbonate, menadione sodiuml bisulfite complex, DL-methionine, salt, folic acid, cholecalciferol, thimine mononitrate, soybean oil, riboflavin, DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, ethoxyquin, nicotinic acid, vitamin A acetate, choline chloride, vitamin B-12 supplement, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zonc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite

Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free

K.O.I.

Start something you will never finish...A koi pond
      "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -Dalai Lama

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

has the WWKC logo in their home page........................as for what brand it is or what mill it comes from ............?????? don't know....but the phone # is a Sarasota ,Fl. area code..............

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's not Bloomington, IN? They are on our list WWKC vendors.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like how ya'all are vendor detectives. I noticed the WWKC logo also. I haven't noticed them on the boards though.

K.O.I.

expat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have just ordered some food from them, will let you know how it goes !

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
      Which one did you order, the growth or premium?

K.O.I.

Marie is offline Supporting Member - K.O.I. CKK
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I bought some earlier this year. The fish seem to like it and my water has stayed clear. I bought the premium.
      Last edited by Marie; 08-22-2010 at 09:20 PM.

expat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by katievl View Post
      which one did you order, the growth or premium?
      growth.

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Seems fishy to me!
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just finished my 25# purchase and the results are "no bueno". I put the food in an airtight container for storage and when I got to the bottom of the container there were mealy bugs. The fish probably don't mind, but I do.

K.O.I.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koifoodshack is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      has the WWKC logo in their home page........................as for what brand it is or what mill it comes from ............?????? don't know....but the phone # is a Sarasota ,Fl. area code..............
      I have residence in Sarasota Florida and my phone number is from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      It's not Bloomington, IN? They are on our list WWKC vendors.
      Our facility is located here.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
      I like how ya'all are vendor detectives. I noticed the WWKC logo also. I haven't noticed them on the boards though.
      Sorry, I don't have much time to lurk around the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
      I bought some earlier this year. The fish seem to like it and my water has stayed clear. I bought the premium.
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Seems fishy to me!
      That's funny. I sponsored a class trophy at the 2010 Central Florida Koi Show for Best Doitsu.

I just finished my 25# purchase and the results are "no bueno". I put the food in an airtight container for storage and when I got to the bottom of the container there were mealy bugs. The fish probably don't mind, but I do.
      We don't ship bugs. Mealy bugs are primarily a plant eating bug, and they are commonly found in Florida. Our food is stored airtight, refrigerated until shipped, and bug-free when it leaves our facility. It's unfair to us, and to other forum members to state we sell a bug infested product, especially when your the first person I have ever heard that from out of thousands and thousands of orders.

I'd like to invite everyone to our website at www.koifoodshack.com, and read the reviews. They speak for themselves.

I got into the koi hobby about 7-8 years ago, and they were eating me out of house and home. I began to investigate other alternatives. Fortunately, we have resources in Indiana that I was able to work with, and the result has been the past 5 years of successful sales of quality bulk koi food.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I don't have much time to lurk around these forums. If you wish to contact us, the best way is to email me at kevin@koifoodshack.net

Thanks for the thread, and the mostly good things said about us. I don't mess around when it comes to doing business. I wouldn't sell something I wouldn't use myself.
      Last edited by koifoodshack; 03-01-2011 at 12:20 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sorry but I will have to disagree with you on the mealy bug statement,,,,,there was probally eggs in the food from your source then they hatched......it happen with alot a feeds........so I wouldn't worry about it ......no mealy bug is gonna kill a fish...................I really doubt that her storage practices ,were the cause...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      sorry but I will have to disagree with you on the mealy bug statement,,,,,there was probally eggs in the food from your source then they hatched......it happen with alot a feeds........so I wouldn't worry about it ......no mealy bug is gonna kill a fish...................I really doubt that her storage practices ,were the cause...
      The ironic part is that I use the same feed and I have never seen a bug. Ever. Our food doesn't even stay around here long enough to attract bugs. Who knows. I'm certainly not trying to start a pissing match...just trying to answer some posts. I would hate for anyone to read that post and think we sell an infested product, when that simply is not the case.
      Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know. - Groucho Marx

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koifoodshack View Post
      The ironic part is that I use the same feed and I have never seen a bug. Ever. Our food doesn't even stay around here long enough to attract bugs. Who knows. I'm certainly not trying to start a pissing match...just trying to answer some posts. I would hate for anyone to read that post and think we sell an infested product, when that simply is not the case.
      I agree,,,,I really wouldn't worry about it..........some of the raw ingredients probally had some eggs on it and when the conditions were right they hatched...as long as the food isn't stale or moldy, it wont do no harm..................the bugs can be a tasty treat for a fish

stuff like that is always a risk when buying bulk in quantity that you can't use up in a couple months.......

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We will continue to do what we do best, and thats offering a fantastic product, and a viable solution to the high cost of feeding those hungry fish!
      Thanks again for the posts, and thanks again to those who support us. We look forward to seeing you all again this year!
      Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know. - Groucho Marx

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      If they were in the bottom, they were probably weevils like I find in my flour and corn meal.

We don't ship bugs. Mealy bugs are primarily a plant eating bug, and they are commonly found in Florida. Our food is stored airtight, refrigerated until shipped, and bug-free when it leaves our facility. It's unfair to us, and to other forum members to state we sell a bug infested product, especially when your the first person I have ever heard that from out of thousands and thousands of orders.

I'd like to invite everyone to our website at www.koifoodshack.com, and read the reviews. They speak for themselves.

:
      I looked and didn't see any reviews? Is it not a possibility that the Wheat germ meal. ground oats, dehydrated alfalfa, or soybean meal, had some eggs and when it came out of refrigeration, that hatched?

Kevin, the bugs weren't a problem for me, it happens. The defensive reply bothers me.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't really know what type of bugs they were. I put the food in an airtight container, and by the time I got to the bottom, little things were crawling around. I know the fish won't care. I just don't want any to escape and get into my pantry. I keep the food in the house so that it is not subjected to the Florida heat.
      Other than that I had no problem with the food. My fish liked it and the water stayed clear. What I did notice that is different than other food vendors, is that the food arrived in a plastic weave sack, that is not air tight. I immediately transferred it to an airtight container to help preserve its freshness. I'm glad I had one big enough. I don't know where or when the food got contaminated, perhaps during shipping or manufacturing. It does not matter. I appreciate the value of the food, but will now on buy food that comes in a decent storage bag and is hopefully bug free. That is what works for me. These issues may not be a problem for other Koipheners.

K.O.I.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the feedback! One thing I would like to point out is that you mention buying food shipped in a decent storage bag. We have in the past looked at dual ply containers, such as you would find in a pet store with domestic animal food. The cost attributed to offering something like that would increase the cost of our product by a considerable margin. When I got to thinking about it, I realized that many people in fact do transfer the product to a different storage medium, negating whatever means the food was shipped in anyway. It wouldn't matter if I used a multi-ply sack or the poly bags we currently use. Once it is opened, it's fair game for anything, unless stored properly.

We recommend storing the food in a refrigerated environment to maximize it's storage life span. I do realize that it would be tough for a bulk buyer to do so when they buy thousands of pounds at a time, but for the enthusiast who only purchases 50 lbs or less, it wouldn't be hard to transfer it to smaller receptacles, provided you have an additional refrigeration unit available in a garage, or basement. I have heard story of someone using an old restaurant walk-in cooler purchased at auction to store food in. It really boils down to how creative, and what means you have to provide the extra effort. I know my wife would probably be upset if I had a bunch of fish food stored in the dual stainless steel fridge in the kitchen, so I use my beer fridge in my garage to store my personal pond food for my fish.

Trial and error, and ideas presented from other fish keepers goes a long way in educating folks who may otherwise not see ways available to tend to their hobby. I get lots of calls asking all sorts of questions that are general in nature, and sometimes my opinion is the only answer I can provide them due to the uniqueness of each individual hobbyist. I sure don't claim to know it all, but can only share what I have learned too.

Yocum is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have purchased from Koifoodshack 3 times in just under two years. I don't have a negative thing to say about them. Food shipped quickly and packaged in an inexpensive but quality (maybe 4 or 5 mil) plastic bag, in a box. I don't have a prize winning herd but I care about my fish and want them to have as good of quality food as I am able to provide for them. Their ingredients list looks real good. I personally feel good about feeding it to my fish. I intend to order again as soon as the temps start warming and I will probably continue to order from only them in the future. From the research that I have done to keep my feeding costs reasonable, there is no comparison to their quality to cost ratio.

For the record, I ordered considerably more expensive Legacy Microbe-lift food in bulk and it came in much cheaper bags. And as to the worms (or Meal worms), I have never had any problems with any bugs. I immediately transfer the food to a fairly heavy duty rubbermaid container.

I don't have any affiliation with koifood shack, I just want to let others know of a good deal when I see one. I am a completely satisfied customer.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

KatieVL, thank you for requesting that this thread be moved back here.

I appreciate your comments, and I apologize if I seemed a big "gritty". As I told Cindy via a PM, when I have my livelihood on the line and comments are made about something that is out of my control, I feel I have to put a foot forward and speak up. As everyone knows, it only takes one bad word to ruin someones business, and I have worked really hard for the past 6-7 years to get where we are today. I have put my heart into this business, and have even came close to a divorce because of it. I would hate for a new fish keeper, or a potential new buyer to catch a glimpse of a post like yours, and think we ship out bug infested food, when it simply is not the case. I understand there are variables that are out of our control, and I cannot say where, or how bugs happened into your stash, but I think it would be safe to say that feeling would be mutual. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

I am grateful that the folks here at Koiphen to allow this conversation, and I am thankful to the folks who have posted about their experiences with us.

Best,

Kevin

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast