• Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Koi Keeping Basics

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great thread everybody.:thumbsup: Keep it Going Ask your questions here folks. Gonna get some response!

PS _ Stand at Attention beside "Da Bell" Sargent

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ChrisC is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Roddy--I never considered sunburn. That's what happens when you live at latitude 47 degrees!!

I know my koi will not need the extra light. In my greenhouse, to grow plants out of their natural zone and season (think tomatoes in winter) I use supplemental light to control the length of the day. I just wonder what would happen to a koi's color if every day were the the longest day of summer.
      Chris
      So many koi, so little time.

David Kuantoro is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Halo Doc Conrad ,

I'm David from Indonesia . first i'm sorry if my english is not good enough . i have a little problem with my orp . i try to use ozone for my pond about 1 week ago . and to control it i buy pin point orp controller from american-marine . and i set my orp from 360 - 380 mv . the problem is my new orp controller is broken and my orp cann't be controlled and goes to 435 MV . but my koi is fine & my bio filtration is fine too . for your information is use kaldnes for my bio filtration .
      in your articles you says :

Readings between 400 and 450 reflect the use of either potassium permanganate or ozone to increase water quality by addition of a chemical oxidant to the pond to oxidize the various dissolved organic compounds and solid waste materials on the pond bottoms and in the filter systems. Readings in this range usually do not harm the useful bacteria in biofilters if the length of time is less than 30 minutes in this range.

and in your below page .

Note 4: Do not run the high level of PP with ORP readings above 475 through the biofilter since the useful bacteria in the biofilter can be killed.

is your articles is right . so my useful bacteria all die because i run 435 mv orp in my bio filtration about 1 day .
      my question is :
      1 . what is the best orp value for my pond ?
      2 . Can pin point orp-controller use for fresh water ? i afraid if pin point only can use in salt water so it cann't give a true orp value .
      3 . is there any risk if i run bio filter in 475 mv ?

help me Doc ,
      Thanks

David Kuantoro Bastianto

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuantoro View Post
      Halo Doc Conrad ,

I'm David from Indonesia . first i'm sorry if my english is not good enough . i have a little problem with my orp . i try to use ozone for my pond about 1 week ago . and to control it i buy pin point orp controller from american-marine . and i set my orp from 360 - 380 mv . the problem is my new orp controller is broken and my orp cann't be controlled and goes to 435 MV . but my koi is fine & my bio filtration is fine too . for your information is use kaldnes for my bio filtration .
      in your articles you says :

Readings between 400 and 450 reflect the use of either potassium permanganate or ozone to increase water quality by addition of a chemical oxidant to the pond to oxidize the various dissolved organic compounds and solid waste materials on the pond bottoms and in the filter systems. Readings in this range usually do not harm the useful bacteria in biofilters if the length of time is less than 30 minutes in this range.

and in your below page .

Note 4: Do not run the high level of PP with ORP readings above 475 through the biofilter since the useful bacteria in the biofilter can be killed.

is your articles is right . so my useful bacteria all die because i run 435 mv orp in my bio filtration about 1 day .
      my question is :
      1 . what is the best orp value for my pond ?
      2 . Can pin point orp-controller use for fresh water ? i afraid if pin point only can use in salt water so it cann't give a true orp value .
      3 . is there any risk if i run bio filter in 475 mv ?

help me Doc ,
      Thanks

David Kuantoro Bastianto
      There is a general problem with ORP meter probe maintenance. As the probe fouls, it usually gives a higher reading than the real value. I don't know whether this is happening in your situation or not.

The biofilter is "usually" not adversely affected by a few hours at ORP values in the 450 to 500 range, if the biofilter is "mature" and "oversized".

If the ORP is below 450, I have never seen my biofilters have an adverse effect of an oxidizer. But I prefer to err on the side of caution when giving advice to a large group of ponders on these subjects.

I prefer to maintain ponds in the ORP range of 300 to 400 millivolts.

I do not have any experience with ozone treatment. My advice about the dangers of driving the ORP too high is based on a lot of experience routinely using Potassium permanganate as the oxidizer of choice. Guidelines developed for potassium permanganate use may or may not be applicable when using ozone.
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

teddy is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi DOc Conrad,
      I always love your thread.
      I'm very bad in chemistry though had good score in my senior high school.
      I'm from Indonesia alsa just like my friend David.
      I have my pond run for 3 years, my fishes almost not grow.
      Firstly I put about 20 fished 10cm size, they grow well and fast up to 40cm.
      Now with different fishes, some of them stay 35-40cm, and I think only grow less than 5 cm for 2 years.
      Pond size about 5 metre x 2.3 metre depth 2 metre.
      population now about 21 fished from 35 few months ago.
      about 8 fishes size 55-65cm, the rest about 35-45cm

filter media using vortex, brush as mechanical,
      100 litre kaldness K1, 25 litre biochip, 55,000 bioballs as biological filter.

I suspect my source water (ground water) that have effect for the growth.
      I only check TDS about 140. the rest I assume OK because my fishes don't flash
      what elements in water that can effect growth significantly?
      what about fe, calcium?
      is it possible with (consider) low TDS the water have high Fe, calcium and other element that effect growth?

I moved 1 fish to my friend's fibre tank size only about less than 2cbm, with 7 big ( 55-75cm) fishes in it
      for 4.5 months only, my fish grew very well even compare when she had been in my pond for 2.5 years

thanks for your advice

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123