• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how did i do? kohaku and shiro utsuri

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Yes indeed, should be fun.
      I picked up a couple, oh ok three. I hope to learn a lot from them. My mud fish will probably be doing what your's is doing and making return trips.
      Hopefully the situation will be there for successive years! See ya Sunday.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Super Kindai is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
      I do not like the kohaku b/c of the mado aki and kokesuki, the beni looks weak b/c of this. The SU is OK but not enough sumi in the back half, no zubon.
      ....You Ryan, are going to be a tough judge.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said I'm learning, isn't "ichimatsu" more of a checkerboard pattern that you would want on a Utsuri? With "kuragake" being a saddle shaped pattern?
      Ichimatsu pattern (= a checker board pattern) has been known as an ideal for Shiro Uturi traditionally. In other words, it's an old style in modan age.
      Kuragake = a saddle shaped pattern generally on center/ back of a body.

Norm Walsh is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks SK for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly, kuragake would refer to a single hi plate, correct?

Mike, thanks for the explination of what we see when beni "pulls back".

I love a good red.

milaut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i need to pick a few more....

how about this showa? 13.6"
      Attached Images Attached Images  

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by milaut View Post
      how about this showa? 13.6"
      Milaut

How big is your pond and what is your current stocking density?

All these fish you've posted are from Kodama's auction. I frequent there as well, looking for the elusive "sleeper". Just haven't found her yet.

Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
      Thanks SK for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly, kuragake would refer to a single hi plate, correct?

Mike, thanks for the explination of what we see when beni "pulls back".
      You are welcome, Let me try to explain a little more detail.
      Kuragake pattern (Kura = a saddle, gake = to put on, to hang on) looks as if a saddle is being put on body.
      Sumi or Hi wrapped deeply both right and left side. therefore it looks a stable as a pattern. it can be placed anywhere on BODY and either a single or a multiple.

As one of the ideal pattern for shiro uturi, once Kuragage (sumi pattern) is placed on a center of body, other sumi pattern can be placed freely in front and behind spaces ( prefererably white obome ), then overall appearance will be balanced well artistically........I hope it makes sense for you.

a point in common among a few samples, from a $20 tosai to the top AJKS winner....
      Attached Images Attached Images    

milaut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Milaut

How big is your pond and what is your current stocking density?

All these fish you've posted are from Kodama's auction. I frequent there as well, looking for the elusive "sleeper". Just haven't found her yet.

Mike
      Hi Mike,

my pond is 3,500 gallons. i have four tosai and four 12-16" kois. i may end up giving away the ones i have now to make room for the ones i win from kodama. i also got 2 asagis and 2 shusuis from the growout contest that should be coming in soon . i personally asked for Flounder's critique, b/c he's a local guy. i didn't expect anything exceptional from the koi's that i have selected, but that is as much as i can afford. but the critique is a great learning tool. i think i will enjoy watching these grow. what do you think about the showa i just posted? i've already won the kohaku. i'm hoping to win the shiro....although i'm not getting any great responses on the shiro. after that, i'll be selecting 2 more.....just to make shipping worth it. i know, i know...this is not how you should be selecting kois, but i'm not a picky guy .

thanks for the input,
      truong

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by milaut View Post
      Hi Mike,

my pond is 3,500 gallons. i have four tosai and four 12-16" kois. i may end up giving away the ones i have now to make room for the ones i win from kodama. i also got 2 asagis and 2 shusuis from the growout contest that should be coming in soon . i personally asked for Flounder's critique, b/c he's a local guy. i didn't expect anything exceptional from the koi's that i have selected, but that is as much as i can afford. but the critique is a great learning tool. i think i will enjoy watching these grow. what do you think about the showa i just posted? i've already won the kohaku. i'm hoping to win the shiro....although i'm not getting any great responses on the shiro. after that, i'll be selecting 2 more.....just to make shipping worth it. i know, i know...this is not how you should be selecting kois, but i'm not a picky guy .

thanks for the input,
      truong
      Truong

With that size pond, I would keep males, albeit still in small numbers. Females will have a tendency to grow short and fat in many cases. So, to that end,you're doing okay. The showa you posted last looks similar to one I got that is from Dainichi. So, that is my GUESS as to who the breeder is on this one, though Kodama simply says :Breeder - Niigata. Hopefully, yours will turn out better than mine is doing currently. I bought two Dainichi Females from Kodama last winter. Both appear to be from different parent stock as they are developing quite differently, especially the sumi. The sumi on the one I have, like this one, still is down, although it does show some promise for the future, I hope.

Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12