• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 20 of 23

    Thread: "HEAT CYCLING" for KHV in QT !!

    Hybrid View

    Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1. #1
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136

      "HEAT CYCLING" for KHV in QT !!

      Hiya Guys ..

      You will all be aware that I am currently in the Process of "Heat Cycling" my Koi Babes using one of the KHV protocols since uniting them from all my Systems into a Single Show Vat QT

      Mine are currently at the "24C" UP part of the second Cycle and are about to be Chilled back down to 13C then Up once more for the Finale before being HELD at 24C for Two Weeks ..

      They have coped very well in fact going up in Temp (as we all know) is much more agreeable than Down which they didn`t like at all hence I`m NOT looking forward to the next few Days

      Worse still these Koi have a wealth of Nationalities coming from China/Israel/Japan and one of our Breeders here in the UK ???????

      Any Questions Fire Away

    2. #2
      tnthat's Avatar
      tnthat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Callahan, FL
      Posts
      323
      Stressing fish through heat cycling will sometimes trigger KHV to break but not always. There is no method that is 100%. Serology is still my method of choice.
      Tom





    3. #3
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136
      Quote Originally Posted by tnthat View Post
      Stressing fish through heat cycling will sometimes trigger KHV to break but not always. There is no method that is 100%. Serology is still my method of choice.
      I Agree but not financially viable from Most This is the Next Best Thing .. and I have A Magnoy Koi ...

    4. #4
      TODDER's Avatar
      TODDER is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Missouri
      Posts
      3,169
      Quote Originally Posted by CHICHI View Post
      Worse still these Koi have a wealth of Nationalities coming from China/Israel/Japan and one of our Breeders here in the UK ???????

      Any Questions Fire Away
      These are all koi from different breeders put in the same qt or different qt vatsz?


      The first step towards getting somewhere, is to decide you are not going to stay where you are.

    5. #5
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136
      Quote Originally Posted by MaximusJazz View Post
      These are all koi from different breeders put in the same qt or different qt vatsz?
      Ive had the Oldest Koi Babes for 5 1/2 years and the youngest (GO Babies) for Two years These have now all been United for "Cycling" because not all of them have been Heat Cycled previously (with the UK Bred babe alone not being considered a risk ) 10 in Total

    6. #6
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,145
      Quote Originally Posted by CHICHI View Post
      Ive had the Oldest Koi Babes for 5 1/2 years and the youngest (GO Babies) for Two years These have now all been United for "Cycling" because not all of them have been Heat Cycled previously (with the UK Bred babe alone not being considered a risk ) 10 in Total
      If they are in the same vat, and it breaks, you won't know where it came from.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    7. #7
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      If they are in the same vat, and it breaks, you won't know where it came from.
      A Risk I have to take Russ in the Circumstances ..Three of these have been Cycled previously by the Dealers ? allegedly

    8. #8
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      26,145
      Quote Originally Posted by CHICHI View Post
      A Risk I have to take Russ in the Circumstances ..Three of these have been Cycled previously by the Dealers ? allegedly

      I understand.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    9. #9
      TODDER's Avatar
      TODDER is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Missouri
      Posts
      3,169
      I understand now.


      The first step towards getting somewhere, is to decide you are not going to stay where you are.

    10. #10
      steveandlou's Avatar
      steveandlou is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      uk
      Posts
      285
      hi chichi
      whats the reasoning behind this is it just for peace of mind and for future high end purchase risk

      the reason i say this is i have a few koi from my early days that are now swimming around with koi of a much higher purchase price and i was thinking about doing something like this when i finally get down to my preffered no of koi to be kept
      5500 uk gallon pond
      filtered by a double sieve bead combo
      all running over a shower

      waters not wet untill you touch it : steve fowler

      your not paranoid
      they are watching you steve fowler

    11. #11
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136
      Quote Originally Posted by steveandlou View Post
      hi chichi
      whats the reasoning behind this is it just for peace of mind and for future high end purchase risk

      the reason i say this is i have a few koi from my early days that are now swimming around with koi of a much higher purchase price and i was thinking about doing something like this when i finally get down to my preffered no of koi to be kept
      Hi Steve ..

      You and I are both aware of the recent KHV Outbreaks from the Japan Autumn Harvest (no names please) whilst being "Heat Cycled" in QT which I cannot dismiss as being worthless

      I have no other recourse available to me and felt compelled to do "Something" as opposed to nothing ..

      Being stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place not only via the wretched unclassified Killer Critter but too Terrified of moving any on or adding any more without some semblance of conscience appeasement - This is all I have at my disposal ..

    12. #12
      steveandlou's Avatar
      steveandlou is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      uk
      Posts
      285
      hi carl

      im pretty sure our vets over here would not even entertain you if you walked in and asked them to do this service for you perhaps chichi will have had more service from her vets

      we really arnt very efficient over here (my vet wants £100 call out just to ask for baytril) then i have to pay for the baytrill on top

      but thats very kind for offering the supply of the items needed
      5500 uk gallon pond
      filtered by a double sieve bead combo
      all running over a shower

      waters not wet untill you touch it : steve fowler

      your not paranoid
      they are watching you steve fowler

    13. #13
      KoiValley's Avatar
      KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Koi Valley, Minnesota
      Posts
      6,036
      Quote Originally Posted by steveandlou View Post
      hi carl

      im pretty sure our vets over here would not even entertain you if you walked in and asked them to do this service for you perhaps chichi will have had more service from her vets

      we really arnt very efficient over here (my vet wants 100 call out just to ask for baytril) then i have to pay for the baytrill on top

      but thats very kind for offering the supply of the items needed
      I think it is a matter of education. When I first approached my Doggie vet, he was a bit apprehensive about helping me. That was several years ago. I have since provided him and his Veterinarian wife with documents, books, and anything else I could think of to help them understand the serious nature of this effort. I have invited his family and his vet techs to my fish room to participate in drawing blood when new shipments have arrived. The change in attitude and understanding toward koi health has proven to be most valuable as they have begun to understand the situation. I frequently consult with them. They know me. Their employees know me. By being a source of information I have become somewhat valuable in their practice. I know. It isn't something that is accomplished overnight. But it can be done.

      My offer stands.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

      Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008


    14. #14
      Joey S's Avatar
      Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Jacksonville, FL
      Posts
      22,867
      This will be, of course, most interesting to follow. I am a bit curious to know - considering how careful you are my dear CC - how you have so many from various places to consolidate. Doesn't matter an iota to the final outcome, but just wondering.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

      Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast



      Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

      JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW



      Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

    15. #15
      KoiValley's Avatar
      KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Koi Valley, Minnesota
      Posts
      6,036
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey S View Post
      This will be, of course, most interesting to follow. I am a bit curious to know - considering how careful you are my dear CC - how you have so many from various places to consolidate. Doesn't matter an iota to the final outcome, but just wondering.
      Not unusual but certainly of concern. I hope for a positive(negative) outcome. That is why proper testing is so important.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

      Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008


    16. #16
      CHICHI's Avatar
      CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      7,136
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey S View Post
      This will be, of course, most interesting to follow. I am a bit curious to know - considering how careful you are my dear CC - how you have so many from various places to consolidate. Doesn't matter an iota to the final outcome, but just wondering.
      Hi Joey ..

      The oldest are the Original 3 Garden Centre Koi which other Half foisted upon our small Goldfish Pond which started the "Koi Pond" venture in earnest 5 1/2 years ago .. Japanese I think but anyones guess really Two Butterflies came from China with the UK Bred Babe gifted from a Friend
      One Magnoy and 3 Japanese Koi Babes were added during 07 prior to any Knowledge of KHV I`m afraid

      The Systems have all been "CLOSED" since 07 whilst I considered what I could do to minimize any risk to future Purchases once/if the "New" Pond is ever completed ???

    17. #17
      KoiValley's Avatar
      KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Koi Valley, Minnesota
      Posts
      6,036
      Quote Originally Posted by CHICHI View Post
      Hi Joey ..

      The oldest are the Original 3 Garden Centre Koi which other Half foisted upon our small Goldfish Pond which started the "Koi Pond" venture in earnest 5 1/2 years ago .. Japanese I think but anyones guess really Two Butterflies came from China with the UK Bred Babe gifted from a Friend
      One Magnoy and 3 Japanese Koi Babes were added during 07 prior to any Knowledge of KHV I`m afraid

      The Systems have all been "CLOSED" since 07 whilst I considered what I could do to minimize any risk to future Purchases once/if the "New" Pond is ever completed ???
      Draw blood. Process it and send it in. Provide yourself with some peace of mind. It isn't that difficult. I'll walk you through it.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

      Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008


    18. #18
      steveandlou's Avatar
      steveandlou is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      uk
      Posts
      285
      hi chichi
      unfortunately this is a place where alot of koi keepers are now in

      and like ive said before on many forums in the uk this disease is going to really get out of hand
      ok the dealer caught the virus using strict qt procedures and heat ramping
      but all i can say is there is many more 10 fold infact that dont qt let alone heat ramp and this is where the disease is going to be spread from
      all the sunday buyers who for most have never heard of khv let alone heat ramping who just want a pretty £10 koi they buy a fish then pass another to a friend and so on

      or even worse chuck the unwanted ones in the fisheries
      5500 uk gallon pond
      filtered by a double sieve bead combo
      all running over a shower

      waters not wet untill you touch it : steve fowler

      your not paranoid
      they are watching you steve fowler

    19. #19
      steveandlou's Avatar
      steveandlou is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      uk
      Posts
      285
      i commend and applaud you for doing something chichi
      5500 uk gallon pond
      filtered by a double sieve bead combo
      all running over a shower

      waters not wet untill you touch it : steve fowler

      your not paranoid
      they are watching you steve fowler

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •