• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Does anyone have an electronic PH meter made by Milwaukee?

beckesj is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does anyone have an electronic PH meter made by Milwaukee?

Hi, Late Dec. we finally purchased an electronic PH reader, Model PH51 made by Milwaukee. We bought the extra stuff to calibrate etc. Well, I'm beginning to question whether it's working properly.There's been ice covering 3/4 of pond for past week & too cold for the weekly water change so I've been testing almost daily and the PH is different each day. I gathered pond water in early AM today in glass jar I use solely for tests, I let the water warm up a few hours, 37 when gathered, just did test, said 8.7, backed it up w/PH liquid drops/chart test, that gave PH of 9, so I cleaned meter, retested and it said 9. I don't know whether to panic or not. Last week it was 8.4,8.5,8.6,8.4, 8.6.KH has been low for our pond all winter at 89.7 so I added one pound of baking soda to begin a slow increase on Sun. Now, I don't know what I have for actual PH. The fish are all hiding under the koi kastle, haven't seen them for a week, it's really really cold, water temp 36-41. Did I waste my money on this thing? Should I add another lb. or two of baking soda to be safe? TIA
      Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does it calibrate OK Do you calibrate with 4.01, 7.01 or 10.01 calibration solution Are you testing your pH at the exact time every day

No need to panic
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post

I'm you're Hucklyberry.

Does it calibrate OK Do you calibrate with 4.01, 7.01 or 10.01 calibration solution Are you testing your pH at the exact time every day

No need to panic
      Stephen, my husband calibrated with 4.01 and 7.01, we also purchased the 10.01 but the directions didn't call for that one. I try to gather the pond water between 7:30-9:00 AM on the days that I test. The water has been 37 degrees so I let in warm up for a few hours before I test. I'm pretty sure I read not to test it when it's so cold, right? Last winter we had all those rocks and I only ever used strip test, didn't know other tests existed. Our pond always stayed very even, KH 180, PH 8.5, of course we had 95% goldfish, now we have 95% koi. I'm not going to panic but do I need to add some BS? Are all those PH testers in your picture, if so is Hucklyberry the maker? Thanks!
      Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by beckesj View Post
      Stephen, my husband calibrated with 4.01 and 7.01, we also purchased the 10.01 but the directions didn't call for that one. I try to gather the pond water between 7:30-9:00 AM on the days that I test. The water has been 37 degrees so I let in warm up for a few hours before I test. I'm pretty sure I read not to test it when it's so cold, right? Last winter we had all those rocks and I only ever used strip test, didn't know other tests existed. Our pond always stayed very even, KH 180, PH 8.5, of course we had 95% goldfish, now we have 95% koi. I'm not going to panic but do I need to add some BS? Are all those PH testers in your picture, if so is Hucklyberry the maker? Thanks!
      Testing Just keep recording and posting your ph daily on this thread. Test it at the exact same time but 1st allow the water to warm to room temperature each time. When testing, allow the reading to stabilize before recording it. You shouldn't have to clean your probe very often. After testing, rinse the probe with clean water and see storage procedure below.

Storage Do put some storage solution in the cap to prevent the probe from getting dry when not in use and also to activate the electrode. If you do not have storage solution use the 7.01 solution for storage.

To Calibrate Fill the cap about 3/4 fullof 7.01 calibration solution and place the meter into it.Leave it set for a while until the reading stabilizes. After the reading stabilizes, turn the 7 calibration trimmer with the small screwdriver until the display reads 7. Rinse the electrode with clean water and fill the protective cap 3/4 full of 10.01 calibration solution. (Always use the 7.01 & either the 4.01 or the 10.01, ever which is closest to your actual pH, which is the 10.01 in your particular case, when performing a 2-point calibration. After the reading stabilizes, turn the 4 calibration trimmer until the displays shows 10. Rinse the probe with clean water. It is now calibrated.

Stirring gently helps the reading to stabilize faster.

You shouldn't need to add any baking soda but keep an eye on it and report you KH daily when you do your pH. Not much chance of a pH crash due to your high pH. Test your pH late in the pm too so we can see how much of a pH swing, if any is being caused by your alkalinity #'s.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are all those PH testers in your picture,?

they are different brands, many of them Milwaukee.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the info. I do store the tester w/ storage solution and I do swirl probe gently for a stable reading. When I said clean, I only meant a quick rinse in tap water before storage so I seem to be doing things A-OK. I'll post PH/KH next test. THANKS TONS!!
      Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the info. I do store the tester w/ storage solution and I do swirl probe gently for a stable reading. When I said clean, I only meant a quick rinse in tap water before storage so I seem to be doing things A-OK. I'll post PH/KH next test. THANKS TONS!!
      Your welcome I have subscribed to this thread so I will be checking daily. Post youe daily am pH, am KH and pm pH.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your welcome I have subscribed to this thread so I will be checking daily. Post youe daily am pH, am KH and pm pH.
      Ok, recap on Thursdays readings...PH 9/KH 89, didn't test yesterday, today 8:00AM water(tested hours later at room temp)read PH 9/KH 120, tonight 6:00PM water(room temp)read PH 9/KH 120, backed up with a liquid drops test and strip test, all 3 tests read PH 9 in AM & PM. KH # is better but PH 9 bothers me, our pond is usually in the 8.5-8.8 range. I'll see what tomorrow brings at same test times. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, for weeks. GH in the 70s.
      Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, recap on Thursdays readings...PH 9/KH 89, didn't test yesterday, today 8:00AM water(tested hours later at room temp)read PH 9/KH 120, tonight 6:00PM water(room temp)read PH 9/KH 120, backed up with a liquid drops test and strip test, all 3 tests read PH 9 in AM & PM. KH # is better but PH 9 bothers me, our pond is usually in the 8.5-8.8 range. I'll see what tomorrow brings at same test times. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, for weeks. GH in the 70s.

Look like fabulous and stable numbers so far. Good for you. Try to post tomorrow if possible with readings taken at the same. I don't see any problems at all. Let's just keep watching it for a while anyway

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Look like fabulous and stable numbers so far. Good for you. Try to post tomorrow if possible with readings taken at the same. I don't see any problems at all. Let's just keep watching it for a while anyway
      Sunday AM PH-9/KH-89.9...Sun. eve. PH-9.1/KH-89.9, today AM PH-8.9/KH-107.4...eve. PH-9.2/KH-107.4. I'm uncomfortable w/PH numbers in the 9 range even though a bit stable. I would really like to do a water change but there is solid ice over 3/4 of the pond and if I drain water level down to make room for fresh water the ice has no support and makes loud cracking noises which would NOT be good for my fish that are quietly resting. Believe me, I've already tried it once. So any ideas until a water change is possible? Has anyone ever drained water from one side while filling on the other w/positive results? Also, in a thread a while back it was recommended that winter water chgs be drawn from the very bottom to rid the dirtiest water due to urine, etc. The bottom is the warmest water even if it's only by 2-3 degrees and when it's presently 36* temp close to surface wouldn't that be a bad move to drain the warmer water causing temp swing & stress? Should ask in different thread maybe? Thanks for any advice.
      Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you view the fish and are they acting ok Also any water you put in will probably be warmer than the water in your pond. I don't think smaller, more frequent water changes should be a problem.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fish seem fine, came out from hiding today to get a little sunshine. My one koi whos been flashing on and off for the past 5 months, looks fine just a flash now and then. I finally got my first scope from santa, so as soon as I learn how to use the thing and the weather has warmed up, he'll be my first scrape victim. Lucky him. I'll be asking for a little help before I actually perform my first scrape. I'm going for small water change tomorrow, ice is gone, air temp is suppose to be at least 45* and pond got up to 43* today. I know some fresh water will help. PH 8.9 and KH 107 readings for the last two days. Thanks Stephen.
      Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007