• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Fukurin on an Asagi

Gene is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Fukurin on an Asagi

Here is a great example of fukurin on an Asagi!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Gene

WWKC Lifetime Pro Member #1

http://www.koiclay.com

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

savannahrobinson is offline Master Photographer of Glare and Bubbles
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's a great photo, too. Its hard to capture the glow of fukurin.
      "To bosom friend, to gracious host
      To those who fall, and those who lift
      To those who give, yet mark not gift
      To healing, hope, and circumstance
      To faith, to fate, to meetings chance"
      -Bob Kublin (who I have not met)

Just Jessie is offline Supporting Member
      is Loving Life

Feeling:
      Awesome

Gene
      Do you know what causes the skin to show? Is this something that develops with size/age, or is it more related to a scute type scale?
      Just trying to understand all this terms and this one is new to me.
      Thanks

Jessie
      I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
      I support and will defend my right to bear arms

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS SHINY
      Lifetime Diamond Member #5 WWKC

BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN

www.TickerFactory.com

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by jessiecravens View Post
      Gene
      Do you know what causes the skin to show? Is this something that develops with size/age, or is it more related to a scute type scale?
      Just trying to understand all this terms and this one is new to me.
      Thanks
      Jessie,

From my understanding it's a genetic trait that was mostly only seen in in higher quality Yamabuki Ogon and some other hikari varieties, but in recent years it is in high quality gosanke varieties (Kohaku, Sanke and Showa). It develops with age, but last year at the Toshio Sakai harvest celebration dinner Toshio San gave us a little class on how to pick a young Kohaku that will develop the fukurin. Ironacally, I had seen the signs in one of the Kohaku that we bred and was thinking about culling it, but after listing to Toshio and seeing some photos he had, I kept it to grow another year and it improved greatly.

The Asagi is one of the oldest Nishikigoi varieties, so I'm thinking the trait may have originated with them. I'll try to find out.
      Gene

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

dick benbow is offline "The Koi Coach"
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Asagi is the first developed color variety and all other color varieties were developed from it.

Keep in mind fukerin is not scale but skin.

As Gene indicated with Gosanke, unless you know what to look for and the genetics has it in the first place, It's difficult to know at tosai, easier at nisei
      and pretty obvious at 3 years of age. Even in Asagi you don't see the net pattern properly till the age of three.

While Asagi is a great example, some of the better Yamabuki's are pretty impressive.

many of Tosio Sakai's gosanke have this feature in his matsunosuke bloodline.
      It is better easily seen at age 7-8 as the fish begins to finish. Domestic breeder Nisei Koi farm an operation of quality koi in new jersey has this bloodline to work with. A friend of mine in the Tri-cities of washington state has a sanke from Mat that at the end of age two is showing this feature strongly. It is from Toshio's Magoi bloodline.

His fish ( Toshio's) also feature matsunosuke Gin, a scalation that looks like Gin Rin but is not. Those koi that disp[lay the gin feature seems to have to develop nice skin. Here is an example at the end of the age of tosai of a sanke of Toshio's that has Gin. It is two rows along the side. ( if you think it's hard to see at this stage you should have seen it when It first came in )
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

dick benbow is offline "The Koi Coach"
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

while my asagi isn't as old as the one pictured by Gene, you can see the progress at the 3rd year as the net pattern becomes obvious
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Savannah,

If you only knew what we went trough to get that photo. Once I get back to my office I'll post the photos and tell the story.

Here is the rest of the koi.

It didn't fit! I'll downsize it and try again.
      Gene

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Photos of the koi taken by two others. Unfortunately, we had taken Martin to the train station just before we went back up into the Yamakoshi mountains. :sad:
      Gene

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Hosoki San has been holding this koi for me. He has given me 48 hours and I've got 6 left. My prospective client has declined and there is another dealer waiting on it.

This is the #1 Asagi in Niigata right now and was photographed yesterday to be feautred in an up coming breeders magazine.

This Asagi is 32.28" at 7-years-old. The first $23,000 gets it. That is the cost delivered to your home.
      Gene

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

It is extremely rare to find an Asagi of this age and size that doesn't have some damage. With gosanke you can get by with a ding or small scar, but one of the most important considerations on an Asagi is the reticulation of the scales. A small scar will ruin it.

The breeder is fine since the koi is sold to someone, but he did tell me he hoped someone bought it that wouldn't be draging it all over the country to shows.

I'm confident that I could get the koi delivered to the buyer without any damage, but I must say I'll be somewhat relieved if I don't have to. You wouldn't believe the stress that sort of thing causes me. :sad:
      Gene

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007