• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi Rules

ChrisC is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Rules

Reading various publications and posts here and there I have picked up bits of what I think of as "koi rules" or etiquette of the hobby.

I thought I'd start this list and those of you who know more can help me out by adding to them.

In no particular order:

Even if you are dying to know, it is uncool to ask people what they spent on their fish.

At a breeder's, you should only ask for a koi to be bowled if you have serious intentions of buying it if you like what you see.

You should never ask to be sold a koi being bowled for someone else.

Haggling for better pricing on koi is considered unattractive. If you can't afford a fish, ask to see less expensive fish. Don't try to pay nothing for a great fish.

Any others?
      Chris
      So many koi, so little time.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Mommajoan is offline Maddam Queen
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do your best to keep your mouth shut when viewing a really great koi!!!
      Mommajoan

Diamond Level Koiphen Member
      Charter Fan Club Member No.40
      Esteemed Member KK
      Blabber Mouth Club Menber
      "Yada Yada Yada Club" Member
      It takes sunshine and rain to make a rainbow!

Sarge is offline Good Ole Country Boy
      is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
      Reading various publications and posts here and there I have picked up bits of what I think of as "koi rules" or etiquette of the hobby.

I thought I'd start this list and those of you who know more can help me out by adding to them.

In no particular order:

Even if you are dying to know, it is uncool to ask people what they spent on their fish.

At a breeder's, you should only ask for a koi to be bowled if you have serious intentions of buying it if you like what you see.

You should never ask to be sold a koi being bowled for someone else.

Haggling for better pricing on koi is considered unattractive. If you can't afford a fish, ask to see less expensive fish. Don't try to pay nothing for a great fish.

Any others?
      Chris, very good. I am sure that there is more that can be added - another few just off the top of my head:

- Never handle the dealer or breeder's net without their prior consent

- NEVER EVER place your hands in the tanks
      "Sarge"

Disclosure statement: Don't read into where I post, or with whom I choose to call my friend. If you know me - you know me. All people are created equal and all humans have fault.

Carol is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I learned this summer that it is not nice to laugh at the lady trying to sell you a koi.
      I couldn't believe it, I saw the funny looking speckled koi in her pond and I asked what it was, she told me that it was a new kind of koi, thats why I had never seen that kind before. Hum 8" koi, funny speckly kind of thing for the low low price of $200.00.
      I laughed - hubby elbowed me and that when I learned not to laugh at the lady.
      Am I off topic again.
      Carol

Proud member of KFC

KOIPHEN IS #1

Lynn is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chris, I'm not sure if trying to negotiate a price reduction is a bad thing, at least in Japan. But that's why you go with a good dealer, and follow his lead and instructions. The dealer handles those things on your behalf.

ChrisC is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agreed--

Let's differentiate between haggling (unattractive) and "agreeing on a price" which we might see as a process which makes sense given a specific fish, dealer and grower relationships, etc.

I think it is also OK to make an offer, but it is possible to have that rejected entirely and end the discussion if it is perceived as too low.
      Chris
      So many koi, so little time.

Koin-Onia is offline Koi Kowboy
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So Chris how much was that kohaku of yours?

It is also very rude to ask prices on koi when someone else is working with someone. Wait until they are done then ask. When something has been bowled up you should wait until their selection has been made. Do not ask prices on bowled koi until they are done. There I said the same thing three different ways!
      The Great Smoky Mountains Koi Club

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Rules of the koi hobby

I see the "rules" a bit differently, LOL!

1. Never argue with the regulars on the NI board, even when they visit another board, that crowd believes only they have the right way and the truth on every subject, whether they actually know anything about it or not.

2. Don't admit you are showing koi from a domestic USA breeder at a koi show if you want to have a chance of winning your class.

3. If you take a koi to a show, don't admit you practice any technology for koi keeping except the technology that the judges for that show thinks is the best way (meaning what is running in their own ponds).

4. Never admit nor discuss the huge losses to the KHV virus that have run rampant through the USA koi hobby for the last 6 years in a row.

5. Pretend you did not read about millions of pounds of carp died in Japan from the KHV virus.

6. Pretend you did not notice the All Japan koi show had to be cancelled for fear of spreading the KHV virus.

7. Pretend you did not read about the verified reports of KHV kills of carp in some wild rivers in the USA.

There are a lot of other unwritten rules of the hobby, but I better stop here before I get personal in my comments!
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

David Smothers is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Rules

As for koi shows, enjoy the time...it is about the koi.....not you as the owner. It is not a prize fight but a beauty contest. Enjoy the beauties. BTW Roddy, I have never been asked if my girls spoke Japanese or southern by a judge. Nor have I ever been asked what type of system I operate in my pond.

Another rule, don't acknowledge a judge's remarks concerning your koi during the judging. I will never forget my first show in 1999. As a proud koidad, I hung on every word...the good and the bad....then itcame time for the Size 4 group and my kohaku was bowled. The judges walked over and one (name withheld) commented with a big smile ?now we have a competition....what a nice Kohaku?. Being a good southern boy, I thanked him.....not realizing it was taboo. It didn't take long for someone to pinch me and tell me to shut up.

Oh well..................

David

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      is Peachy, even though I've had
      no peaches this year

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Conrad
      I see the "rules" a bit differently, LOL!

1. Never argue with the regulars on the NI board, even when they visit another board, that crowd believes only they have the right way and the truth on every subject, whether they actually know anything about it or not.

2. Don't admit you are showing koi from a domestic USA breeder at a koi show if you want to have a chance of winning your class.

3. If you take a koi to a show, don't admit you practice any technology for koi keeping except the technology that the judges for that show thinks is the best way (meaning what is running in their own ponds).

4. Never admit nor discuss the huge losses to the KHV virus that have run rampant through the USA koi hobby for the last 6 years in a row.

5. Pretend you did not read about millions of pounds of carp died in Japan from the KHV virus.

6. Pretend you did not notice the All Japan koi show had to be cancelled for fear of spreading the KHV virus.

7. Pretend you did not read about the verified reports of KHV kills of carp in some wild rivers in the USA.

There are a lot of other unwritten rules of the hobby, but I better stop here before I get personal in my comments!
      I think Roddy has a point on the show aspect... never admit anything until after the final results are in, that way it will be fair regardless of any perceived predudice that may or may not exist.

I'm hoping that the KHV subject has gotten over it's taboo stage.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

David Smothers is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Never admit???

Dan, what are you and Roddy talking about? What could a ?showing owner? admit prior to any decisions being made final? Hell, that is just not possible or believable. I am not a major shower but I do show each year in several East Coast shows. Never once in six years have I observed those rules.

I will keep my eyes open.....

David

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      is Peachy, even though I've had
      no peaches this year

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      Note that I put the disclaimer in there about perceived predudice, I was just saying that if you keep your mouth shut, then even IF there were a predudicial judge, he/she would be none the wiser. It has to do with the whole thing of disconnecting owner from fish and why no one is supposed to comment while the judging takes place.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004

savannahrobinson is offline Master Photographer of Glare and Bubbles
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rules - we don't need no stinking rules...

I think its important just to be considerate of others.
      That encompasses a lot of the other suggestions in this thread. For example, price? Even someone who has bought a GORGEOUS fish is going to be a little shy about the price - its like noone outside of the hobby will appreciate the value of the thing. Its not about whether you got a good deal - its a good deal if you are satisfied.
      So don't ask and you won't embarrass that person.

And like, if you are at a show, you KNOW some of the owners who are showing fish have volunteered to help and are hanging around. So don't say anything tacky.

On the other hand, Carol, if someone SELLING fish is absolutely feeding you a line of c**p, I think its cool to laugh.

WinginSue is offline Proud Propeller Head
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by savannahrobinson
      its like no one outside of the hobby will appreciate the value of the thing.
      Boy, that's the truth but of course they always seem to ask. It's amazing. I show pics of my babies (hubby laughes every time) and folks ask how much. I just tell them a bit more than a couple bucks. I figure they spend their $$ on what they want, I do the same.
      Suzette
      http://sues_oasis.home.comcast.net

Member of the Blabbermouth Club

Graham is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When people say ''you spent how much''' I just ask what they spent on green fees and clubs last summer ...they shut up everytime

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, so back to the REAL rules.

This will be the first time I'm showing and if a Judge would have said my "baby" was really nice, I would have replied "Tthank you, why do you say that?" Or something like that! I didn't know you weren't supposed to talk to them.

Thanks for starting this thread to enlighten us dummies who've never done this before.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007