This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thumbs up Basic KHV info

Tom forwarded us a site....good overall info

http://www.uaex.edu/agoodwin/

You may find some of the KHV presentaions of interest. Somewhat
      oversimplified but think Andy Goodwin does a great job in
      getting the ideas across....easy to understand....
      sarah

It's not about the storms we endure, it's about learning to dance in the rain! (even when it's INSIDE your house)

North Florida Koi Club
      www.koihealth.org
      http://www.koistuff.com

Where there's grass.... there's room for pond...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Andy does a great job with a difficult subject.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by saltiery View Post
      Tom forwarded us a site....good overall info

http://www.uaex.edu/agoodwin/

You may find some of the KHV presentaions of interest. Somewhat
      oversimplified but think Andy Goodwin does a great job in
      getting the ideas across....easy to understand....
      Dr. Goodwin and I discussed his picture presentation last week after we discussed some testing issues.

I think his approach is terrific for those who are just starting to understand what KHV is and how it attacks. There is much more to it than on the website but it's almost impossible to cover everything and still maintain an audience.

I told him that for me the most interesting piece of information he presented was the lipid(fatty)layer which holds the virus. This makes KHV very fragile outside the fish. Any disinfectant detergent will break it down so soap and water will do the job.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

Fishbreeder is offline Resident fisheries biologist
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by a14455 View Post
      Good stuff
      Andy is by far and away the very best. Anything he says you can take straight to the bank. When it comes to fish pathology, there is nobody else I will put as much stock in.

Of course Andy is the classic example of "student bypasses the teacher." Andy and I go waaaaay back to when I was the young manager of a remote fish hatchery in East Texas and he was a second year student at The University of Toledo (Ohio).

I got this letter one morning (more then 20 years ago), basically saying Andy would come work the summer for room and board at the fish farm. My boss says, "Sounds like he's our boy, get him down here."

Andy shows up after a long drive and is totally perplexed by what he sees. Pine trees instead of sagebrush, golf carts instead of horses, and a lot of sand and mud.

Well, needless to say Andy worked out so well that we managed to get him back after graduation. Andy and I worked there, then at Danbury Fish Farms and ultimately at Naiad Corp. (4000 acres of catfish). Eventually Andy went back to school. He became a legend, first at Auburn then at Cornell.

Our families are inextricably linked. Both families having absolute prodigies for children.

The farmers in Arkansas hold him in the highest esteem. He has been a tremendous help to them. Taking them from the dark ages of fish pathology, diagnosis and treatments by forging the path to the future.

The koi community is very fortunate to have such a high powered pathologist on thier side.

Only thing is, I miss Andy terribly. He was the best of the best for a fishing partner. We spent every spare moment together in the pursuit of "Fishzilla." On several occasions we did battle with monstrous specimens. Blue catfish, Alligator gar, Red and Black Drum, Gaspergou, Sharks, Sting Rays, you name it, if it swims, we went after it.

The Trinity River, The Lock and Dam, Houston County Lake, The Surfside Jetties, The Guilliotine (a big lock in Freeport to prevent hurricane surges into the harbor), The Old River, The New River, The Brazos, The beachfront, we fished every hole in East Texas and The Upper Gulf Coast.

If you've got Fishzilla on the line, you want Andy Goodwin on the landing net.

To top it all off, Andy is a fine example of a human being and leads by example.

Brett

Hanover Koi Farms is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
      Andy is by far and away the very best. Anything he says you can take straight to the bank. When it comes to fish pathology, there is nobody else I will put as much stock in.

To top it all off, Andy is a fine example of a human being and leads by example.

Brett
      I agree with Brett big time. Now here is a TRUE scientist with no ulterieor motives or dreams of cashing in on his findings. Andy, and Un. of Arkansas Pine Bluff are by far the top when it comes to piscine issues of any kind. They are ten times better than some other Universities and so called "researchers" that are more famous in the world of KHV. Andy also does not have the "Hollywood" syndrome of some of the other so called researchers. He is not out for fame and fortune. I always talk about how some of these Universities are not very good scientifically due to financial interests and such, as well as passing on speculation before it is published science. As far as I am concerned, this is the ONLY University that is capable or qualified in the USA for TRUE scientific KHV research and findings.

Also, I hope everyone took notice that seriology/ELISA alone is not sufficient for a diagnosis by itself. It would take all three tests.... PCR, Elisa, and cell culture to TRULY prove a positive or negative with what we currently know of this virus. Even then, there should be temperature manipulation to put the fish in 75 degrees for three to four weeks. So, basically, one test alone is practically senseless IMHO. Why bother with just one test, when you should be doing all three? To do all three, the fish would have to be killed. Is ELISA alone better than nothing?.....not in my opinion. There are simply too many variables involved for one test to be sufficient. This is why I am not impressed with ELISA/seriology alone. You are better off manipulating the temp to 75 in QT.

premster is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Brett - Great teacher great student - I am glad there is true scientific focus rather than mumbo jumbo aimed at selling something .

Flounder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Excellent link, thank you.

What was scary was what he said about certain koi that were vaccinated w/ the KHV virus.

Bill OTMS is offline Most Illustrious Koi Dude
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For greater detail:
      http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM113
      http://fishweb.ifas.ufl.edu/Extension/Extenspubs.htm

http://www.oie.int/eng/normes/fmanual/A_00034.htm

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/cgi-bin/ht...s=KHV&x=15&y=2

Koi Herpes Virus: OIE Listing Status Update
      The World Organization of Animal Health (OIE) voted at the 74th General Session in Paris (May 2006) to include koi herpes virus disease (KHVD) on the list of fish diseases notifiable to the OIE by member countries.
      KHVD is well-known to occur in cultured koi populations in the U.S. and is currently considered an endemic disease. The United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA APHIS), as the competent authority reporting to the OIE, will continue to report to OIE on a semi- annual basis that KHVD is “known to occur” in the U.S. There are currently no plans by USDA APHIS to make KHVD a programmable disease or to implement KHV-specific health certification requirements for koi imports.
      Private veterinary practitioners and diagnostic labs do not need to report cases to USDA APHIS. Mitigations will be at the discretion of the fish owner under the guidance of the attending veterinarian if applicable.
      If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Kathleen Hartman at 813-671-5230 ext. 119 or via email at kathleen.h.hartman@aphis.usda.gov.
      Related Web-Links:
      Report of the meeting of the OIE Aquatic Animal Health Standards Commission (March 13-17, 2006)
      http://www.oie.int/aac/eng/FDC%20rep...0(English).pdf
      List of OIE notifiable diseases:
      http://www.oie.int/eng/maladies/en_classification.htm
      Truth Is Truth. You Can't Have Opinions About Truth.
      You cannot ask a fish not to swim.
      It's the only thing that makes him him - Tony Curtis

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007