• Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sodium percarbonate uses in fish ponds

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is correct Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Conrad View Post
      Ken, be very specific so I get the question exactly right.

You are treating water with PP only in the settlement tank and stopping flow to do so, right? If so, throw in 100 ml of the Baquacil oxidizer and see if all the purple and pink are gone in less than 10 minutes with aeration. If so, the PP is gone. If not, add another 100 ml.
      No fish are exposed to any PP during this process. Only water in the settlement tank with all pumps shut off is treated, with 20 to 40 PPM of PP.
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lomaponder is offline Senior Member
      is My koi go cray cray during
      feedings

Feeling:
      Cool

Thank you Roddy

I'll go looking for the Baquacil oxidizer and see how it works on my "spring algae rope",

Also, thank you for your discussion of holding tanks and the use of PP to treat / recycle pond water. Here in the southwest, it is becoming a hot topic for ponders.
      "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please".
      Mark Twain
      US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

https://koiclubofsandiego.org/

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Where do you find these chemicals? Would Walmart or a drugstore have them? Thanks

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Walmart or a drug store sells 3% hydrogen peroxide. Suggested dose for a bad algae infestation is a quart of the 3% hydrogen peroxide per 1000 gallons pond water per day until the algae is all dead, then stop the hydrogen peroxide additions.

Pool stores and hot tub stores sell 27% hydrogen peroxide as Baquacil oxidizer. Suggested dose is 100 ml per 1000 gallons of pond water per day to kill out bad algae infestations, stop as soon as the algae comes under control.

There is seldom a local merchant selling generic sodium percarbonate, usually that needs to be ordered on line. Normal doses are a half pound to a pound of sodium percarbonate per 1000 gallons pond water per day until the algae comes under control, then stop the additions.

When adding any one of these three algae killing agents, please quickly remove with nets all the nasty mess of dead crud that quickly floats to the top of the water when the hydrogen peroxide from the treatment boils up the stuff killing it and causing it to float to the top. If you don't remove the dead mess it is killing, the decay of all that dead mess of algae can give poor water quality. The smaller the holes in the net, the more effective the removal of the floating dead stuff will be when practicing this spring cleanup act.
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

Norm Walsh is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Roddy, In the thread there is mention of rising Ph levels with the use of SP. I started using it and had the Ph climb to over 9. then did a water change.

If using SP for consectutive days, what's the best way to handle the Ph problem?

I love a good red.

IMSALSMOM is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by sworley View Post
      Where do you find these chemicals? Would Walmart or a drugstore have them? Thanks
      The Chemistry Store online sells Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Thiosulfate
      and PP - I get my PP at Lowes.
      Dale Ann
      American and British Troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
      Drunks are always victims, in their own minds. -- Law and Order

Click for Saint Petersburg, Florida Forecast

stephen44 is offline Supporting Member
      is nose above water

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by IMSALSMOM View Post
      I get my PP at Lowes.
      what dept ?

WWKC Diamond Lifetime Member #2 I miss you so much Rudy !

"A word of encouragement during a failure
      is worth more than an hour of praise after success"

Kris is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What does the sodium do to the salt level of the pond?

is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
      Roddy, In the thread there is mention of rising Ph levels with the use of SP. I started using it and had the Ph climb to over 9. then did a water change.

If using SP for consectutive days, what's the best way to handle the Ph problem?
      If the GH is below 80 ppm, and the KH or alkalinity is above 100 ppm, usually the addition of one pound of calcium chloride flake per 1000 gallons of water will bring the pH back down below 9. Expect a milky appearance after adding the calcium chloride flake, since the way calcium chloride flake lowes pH is to precipitate calcium carbonate. The precipitation of the calcium carbonate, while active, may turn the pond into a milk appearance. This milky appearance after adding calcium chloride flake is DESIRABLE and will help the fish by lowering the pH of the water.

is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      What does the sodium do to the salt level of the pond?
      Well, to quote Bill Clinton, it depends on the meaning of the word salt.

Salt is a generic term for lots of different chemical compounds.

If by salt you mean sodium chloride, adding sodium percarbonate adds no chloride so has no effect on the sodium chloride salt level of the water in the pond.

If by salt you mean a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) reading, adding sodium percarbonate may increase of decrease the TDS reading depending on the particulars of the pond.

So I can't give you a generic answer to the question quoted above.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

thedugan is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use green clean all the time for string algee. Works great but its is very $$$$.

So what is the treatment using Sodium Percarb.? Same as Green Clean?

Are we sure its safe for fish and plants.

clerky96 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Roddy, a few days ago I posted a question for you about Clear Comfort Stabilizer. I bought it at a pool supply and they assurred me that their chemist researched it and that it is exactly the same as Baquacil Oxidizer, just a different brand. They know it is for my fish pond.
      Here is a link to the MSDS for the product. http://skylineadvantage.com/pages/MS...em/1722851.PDF
      I couldn't find a MSDS for Baquacil, so I couldn't compare the two.
      Would you please check it out for me and see what you think? I don't want to use it until I get your opinion. It does say near the end of the MSDS that it could be toxic to fish. I am assuming they are meaning that if not used properly it could kill fish.
      I want to use it because my pond is very brown and murky. Because of string algae issues, I did a complete water change last year. I hadn't been on this site to read about SP or I would have tried that. My pond went murky after the refilling, and never really cleared. This was a first for me, as usually after the initial algae bloom, the pond clears and stays clear. However, my husband had some severe health problems for most of the summer and the pond just got put on the back burner. I didn't do any routine maintenance, ie cleaning filters, etc. I did get the netting on last fall, but some leaves got under the netting. I think I have netted most of them out (since so murky can't really tell if I have them all). No rocks in the pond. Bottom drain is working fine. I have calculated the dosage to be 2/3 cup for my 1600 gallon pond.
      I would appreciate any help you can give; even if it is only your opinion. Thanks.
      Donna

NevadaKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well I tried the Baquacil Oxidizer today for a 5670 gallon pond today using only 100 ml per 1000 gallons which should be about 19.2 fl. oz. of Baquacil. Absolutely nothing happened, so I'm going to step it up to 200 ml per 1000 gallons later this week. Either my pond gallonage is off...or 100 ml is not enough for the moderate string algae I have. Anyone have the same happen to them? Thx!

Wayne

NevadaKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I tried the Baquacil Oxidizer again yesterday with an increased dosage and didn't have any algae come up to the surface. That's when I started ready into this more. I have MUCH more carpet algae (about 1/2" to 1" around pond shell) than I do string algae. Will Baquacil do anything to the carpet algae...or am I spinning my wheels...and possibly need to run down to Lowes to get some PP to counteract the Baquacil?

Is carpet algae the same as string algae only shorter? Need some more details here. Thx!

Wayne

is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by clerky96 View Post
      Roddy, a few days ago I posted a question for you about Clear Comfort Stabilizer. I bought it at a pool supply and they assurred me that their chemist researched it and that it is exactly the same as Baquacil Oxidizer, just a different brand. They know it is for my fish pond.
      Here is a link to the MSDS for the product. http://skylineadvantage.com/pages/MS...em/1722851.PDF
      I couldn't find a MSDS for Baquacil, so I couldn't compare the two.
      Would you please check it out for me and see what you think? I don't want to use it until I get your opinion. It does say near the end of the MSDS that it could be toxic to fish. I am assuming they are meaning that if not used properly it could kill fish.
      I want to use it because my pond is very brown and murky. Because of string algae issues, I did a complete water change last year. I hadn't been on this site to read about SP or I would have tried that. My pond went murky after the refilling, and never really cleared. This was a first for me, as usually after the initial algae bloom, the pond clears and stays clear. However, my husband had some severe health problems for most of the summer and the pond just got put on the back burner. I didn't do any routine maintenance, ie cleaning filters, etc. I did get the netting on last fall, but some leaves got under the netting. I think I have netted most of them out (since so murky can't really tell if I have them all). No rocks in the pond. Bottom drain is working fine. I have calculated the dosage to be 2/3 cup for my 1600 gallon pond.
      I would appreciate any help you can give; even if it is only your opinion. Thanks.
      Donna
      This is Roddy on vqacation in Seward, Alaska on vacation.

This is exactly the right product since it is simply 27% hydrogen peroxide. Suggest you consider limiting doses of it to 100 ml per 1000 gallons and use when needed for algae control.

Have not had internet connection of any use while sailing the seas of Alaska, am in an internet cafe in Seward for a few minutes checking in.

Roddy Conrad

IMSALSMOM is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stephen44 View Post
      what dept ?
      Sorry so late answer, PP at Lowe's (Not all Lowe's carry it) is in a department that sells it for Iron Filters, I can't remember the exact dept. I asked someone and he pointed me straight to it. I think it was in or close to cleaning products. You can check online to see if a store near you sells it. The store I usually go to doesn't but another nearby store does.
      Dale Ann
      American and British Troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
      Drunks are always victims, in their own minds. -- Law and Order

Click for Saint Petersburg, Florida Forecast

IMPALA is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Conrad View Post
      Walmart or a drug store sells 3% hydrogen peroxide. Suggested dose for a bad algae infestation is a quart of the 3% hydrogen peroxide per 1000 gallons pond water per day until the algae is all dead, then stop the hydrogen peroxide additions.

Pool stores and hot tub stores sell 27% hydrogen peroxide as Baquacil oxidizer. Suggested dose is 100 ml per 1000 gallons of pond water per day to kill out bad algae infestations, stop as soon as the algae comes under control.

There is seldom a local merchant selling generic sodium percarbonate, usually that needs to be ordered on line. Normal doses are a half pound to a pound of sodium percarbonate per 1000 gallons pond water per day until the algae comes under control, then stop the additions.

When adding any one of these three algae killing agents, please quickly remove with nets all the nasty mess of dead crud that quickly floats to the top of the water when the hydrogen peroxide from the treatment boils up the stuff killing it and causing it to float to the top. If you don't remove the dead mess it is killing, the decay of all that dead mess of algae can give poor water quality. The smaller the holes in the net, the more effective the removal of the floating dead stuff will be when practicing this spring cleanup act.
      Pool stores and hot tub stores sell 27% hydrogen peroxide as Baquacil oxidizer. Suggested dose is 100 ml per 1000 gallons of pond water per day to kill out bad algae infestations, stop as soon as the algae comes under control

this is the best answer for string algae ?

Mick

This message is made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its character and beauty and should not be considered flaws.

"Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have"

Don't take life too seriously, no body gets out alive.

is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I wrote this in a private message then decided to post it since the comments may be useful to others.

Assume 4000 gallons pond volume and 27% hydrogen peroxide to calculate the dose.

4000 gallons times 8.3 pounds per gallon times 454 grams per pound gives 15 million grams of water in a 4000 gallon pond so a 1 ppm dose of something is 15 grams of the thing. At 27% strength of Baquacil oxidizer, to get an active dose of 1 ppm active hydrogen peroxide will require 15 grams /.27 = 55 grams of the Baquacil oxidizer.

But we want enough hydrogen peroxide to see some algae die.

At 25 ppm active hydrogen peroxide dose for 4000 gallons we need 55 times 25 = 1,375 grams or over a liter of the Baquacil oxidizer to kill some algae. I suggest you be conservative and at first only add half a liter of the 27% strength or two cups. If that does not seem to do anything, add two more cups in a few hours.

The LC50 (Lethal concentration that kills half the fish) for a two hour interval is 1000 ppm which would be several gallons of the Baquacil oxidizer in 4000 gallons. The 24 hour LC50 is 100 ppm which is 5 liters or a little more than a gallon per 4000 gallons. One ponder actually dumped a gallon of the Baquacil oxisizer into his 4000 gallon pond, in a few days a few of the koi died from the overdose. So that is too much. The 4 day LC50 is 25 ppm or a dose of 1.375 liters or about a quart and a half. That is relatively safe and will kill a lot of algae in a 4000 gallon pond. 25 ppm dose in an algae ridden pond should be consumed before it does any fish damage. If you are adventursome and want the algae dead in a hurry, use that dose. If you are terribly conservative, try doses of two cups at a time spaced half a day apart until the algae comes under control.

Roddy

skydiverfloyd is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can the baquacil oxidizer be used to stop a pp treatment and clear the brown water and if so how much?

Jack

is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yes, but it does not take much of the Baquacil oxidizer to stop a PP treatment and get rid of the brown color of spent PP. I suggest you try 100 ml of the Baquacil Oxidizer per 1000 gallons of pond water for that purpose, that should be a gracious plenty, and it is what I use for that purpose and have done so for several years now. Add it (the hydrogen peroxide in the Baquacil) slowly so the ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential) does not change so fast the fish go into shock. The ORP will drop from a reading of about 500 with active PP to a value of 160 to 200 with active Baquacil hydrogen peroxide. Suggest you add it a little at a time over a period of an hour or more. The worst of the brown color will be gone in minutes, much more of it overnight. You shouldn't need any more than that.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast