• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob's Hoshikin Kohaku

farne230 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She has just developed a second shimi and in soft water. What can you tell me about Hoshkin Kohaku bloodline. Has anyone else notice shimi's from Hoshikin kohaku?
      Bob

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by farne230 View Post
      She has just developed a second shimi and in soft water. What can you tell me about Hoshkin Kohaku bloodline. Has anyone else notice shimi's from Hoshikin kohaku?
      Bob
      There are Shimmies from "EVERY" Bloodline Bob My Dainichi Kohaku developed one that is barely visible and hasn`t worsened ..

"Soft" Water doesn`t only require Very Low TDS but a Neutral to slightly higher PH

A Hoshikin Article below

Most Koi hobbyists know that "Dainichi" Kohaku from Niigata are a famous and recognised type of Koi. While not as well known, the Hoshikin Kohaku is considered by many to be on a par. .

At the 31st All Japan Combined Nishikigoi Show, Dr. Gene Ewy (certified AKCA and ZNA judge) won the honorable Kokugyo (Best in Size) prize with a four-step Kohaku. That Kohaku was a Hoshikin Kohaku.

It looks easy to breed Koi. Simply getting and mating a pair from Niigata will produce Koi. It may be true. But it is not actually that simple to breed beautiful Nishikigoi. You may be able to breed beautiful Koi at that moment by using beautiful parents. But it does not mean that they can still be beautiful in future. It is very critical for breeders to have a clear vision of how they want their Koi to look like in 5 years and 10 years.

Hoshikin Kohaku won 6 grand champions at Koi shows of the last fall only. These great achievements make Japanese Koi hobbyists recognise Hoshikin Kohaku as equal brand to Dainichi Kohaku.

Hoshikin Kohaku today is the result of the clear vision of Mr. Kinsaku Hoshino, the founder. Fifty years ago, he believed that Kohaku must have 1) true red, 2) good Hi pattern and 3) no Shimi (small black dots). Setting these as major goals, he obtained 2 pairs of Kohaku parents of the "Tomoin" line and has been perfecting the line. Because of this, he can now produce beautiful artworks that everybody admires. Over 200 breeders in Niigata have their own clear idea of what their Koi should be like in 10 years and risk their lives to achieve these goals, including Kinsaku Hoshino.
      Now let me explain in more detail about Hoshikin Kohaku.

Hoshikin Koi Farm used to be called Shiotani Koi Farm because it is located in the area called Shiotani; because his name was HOSHIno, KINsaku, everybody called him Mr. "Hoshikin." As a result, his Koi were called Hoshikin Kohaku and finally became a recognised bloodline.

About 50 years ago, there was Kohaku called "Tomoin" in Takezawa, Niigata. The bloodline of Tomoin dominated the market for the time because its Hi was truly blood red. Mr. Kiyoshi Miyazaki spent a large sum of money to get a pair of this Tomoin Kohaku. From his breeding, he produced two outstanding pairs of Kohaku.

In 1967, Mr. Kinsaku Hoshino spent large money at the annual gross sale to get the two pairs from Mr. Miyazaki. They were almost 70cm long (28 in") and considered very big at that time. With the four parents, there were four possible pairs. He decided upon one pair out of the four. That pair is what is called "Sanganmatsu," is the origin of Hoshikin Kohaku.

Descendants of this bloodline won grand champions two times at Nogyosai; Niigata Koi Show, All Japan Young Nishikigoi show, and more. Hoshikin Kohaku is now a representative bloodline of Kohaku.

Niigata breeds excellent quality Koi because all the 200 breeders have had clear visions of what kind of Koi they want to breed and improved their Koi to meet their goals just like Mr. Hoshino has done.

The goals of Hoshikin now are to create 1) strong Koi resistant to disease, 2) Koi that grows large and 3) Koi that holds their beauty at hobbyists' ponds.

Pursuing for these goals, he breeds 3 million fry with 10 pairs of Kohaku every year. He releases them into 2.5 acres mud ponds and culls them three times from July to October, choosing 15000 fry. From these, he keeps only 1000 Koi to raise to 2 years old and sell the rest. In other words, only 14000 Hoshikin Kohaku are available in a year. It is a very limited brand. Japan has many fans of the Hoshikin Kohaku, especially high end oriented hobbyists

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One of my favorite fish developed a shimi, then when I moved them inside a couple of months ago it went away. Don't know if the move had anything to do with it or not.

Super Kindai is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bob
      Bob, Perhaps you are interested to see a great-grandmother of your kohaku....
      this was offspring of a Tomoin female and Manzo male(s) combination, and received the GC prize of 31st Niigata Nougyousai show about 20 years ago, 78cm IIRC. and then this Maruten became the origin of Hoshikin kohaku in recent years.

In regared to shimi, even soft water in Niigata as you know, the original pair of Tomoin Kohaku was known to produce often Aigoromo naturally.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you SK. I'm going to post a copy next to the pond so my two little Hoshikins will know their grandparents. Maybe it will encourage them to grow big and strong like that. :-)

Super Kindai is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by avorancher View Post
      Thank you SK. I'm going to post a copy next to the pond so my two little Hoshikins will know their grandparents. Maybe it will encourage them to grow big and strong like that. :-)
      A 93cm/36.5"+ Hoshikin kohaku received Jumbo prize at 2009 Niigata Nougyousai koi show.
      Second picture is also Hoshikin, over 80 Bu best in size.
      this video is too dark to see detail but the fish looks big. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UllVWYSzA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks everyone, here are a few photo's taken today also a few of the hoshikin photo's show the shimi on her left shoulder. She is 45 months old now, little thin but growing. I have not measured her yet, but need too.
      Enjoy and Merry Christmas,
      Bob

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks everyone, here are a few photo's taken today also a few of the hoshikin photo's show the shimi on her left shoulder.
      Enjoy and Merry Christmas,
      Bob
      It Looks Insignificant To Me Bob but I can grasp how annoying this is to you I would in your Shoes Pursue the "Magic Water" Approach prior to any type of (Cosmetic Surgery) ???

Shimmies are described as "Less than a Scale" Thick which would be the category yours fits into

They can be removed if absolutely necessary ? your call She Is Lovely

Have A great Holiday You And All

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just love that Hoshikin red. You pond and water looks great. I've followed many of your threads with interest as you pursue the holy grail of perfect water. Looks like you're making progress.

DebbieKSW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Bob.
      I now have serious Koi envy that almost makes me cry.
      Merry Christmas mate.
      Debbie
      K.S.A. member

let me be a little kinder

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your kind words. She is progressing well, not too fast and not too slow. My only consern is the area between her vent and tail is very thin, this area has not filled in yet, so she is stream lined, head to tail. And of course the shimi on her left shoulder. But as long as the koi are healthy I am happy.
      Bob

BillJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You all are very kind, she will need some time, good water and care to grow her out and build up her conformaty. I need to find someone who wants a few longfins. I would like to reduce my fish load from 12 koi in 8500 gallons to 9. If anyone is every in SA, please e-mail and drop by.
      Thanks,
      Bob

Sounds like you are getting really serious,Bob. WTG. And have you noticed that there is another member from Texas who just happens to have Yamabuki in his avatar? I love your new kohaku. Incredible skin and beni just the shade I like. She'll really appreciate the additional gallons/fish you plan to make. I'm happy for you having found such a nice kohaku. Kevin is nice to work with,isn't he. He went to a lot of trouble finding just the right Chagoi for me and when I lost her he said any time I'm ready to buy another he'd do all he could to find just the right one again.
      I can't wait to see future photos of this girl.

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Bill, I have worked with Kevin for the past five years and aquired five koi from him-three kohaku, one shiro utsuri, one kin ki utsuri. The others were purchased locally and two others were purchased from PanIntercorp. THis adds up to 10 koi in the pond.
      Bob

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

February 15, 2010.
      Bob

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007