• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Over Winter Tropical lilies

RCPing is offline Senior Member
      is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

I have my Victoria cruziana growing in a thermoplanter. It is doing well. But I am only using it to grow my Victoria this cool summer here. Not to winter over. It cannot be wintered over here.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by RCPing View Post
      I have my Victoria cruziana growing in a thermoplanter. It is doing well. But I am only using it to grow my Victoria this cool summer here. Not to winter over. It cannot be wintered over here.
      I thought that was the idea regarding these planters, that the plant could stay in the pond thru winter? No?

How did your Victoria cruziana do? And what is the pretty flower you use as your avatar?
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

ladyfish is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If someone was to have a little pool in the basement could the plants be placed in their pots and in that pool over the winter?

is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

flower

My flower is N. immutabilis I grew from seeds that Craig generously gave me in 2007.
      The Victoria is still in my thermoplanter. It is new this year, I got it for Christmas. We have had a cool summer. I started it from seed that Walter Pagels gave me. No it will not survive the winter here in zone 6.

is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      Amused

Victoria cruziana in Thermoplanter

ladyfish is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I live in Michigan and all my plants over winter in the pond. The only exception is the butterfly plant. I bring in several clippings in hopes that at least one will survive the winter and my cats.

I fertilize everything as they start sprouting and they blossom like crazy. The fertilizer I use lasts 3 months as do the mosquito rings. My pond has various colors of lillies a lotus, Chinese grass, 2 types of irises, parrot's feater, arrow plant (?) and one that has short thin foilage and puts forth little white and purple flowers.

I have no tropicals. I am reading what you folks are writing to educate myself.
      May the Best You've Seen Be the Worst You See.

:Click for Detroit, Michigan Forecast

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vipldy View Post
      With Winter coming lets sticky this for a bit Please add more tips if you have any!!!
      I can't believe we are already into the middle of September!!!! As much as I love fall and winter, I am really mourning the end if summer this year...and not looking forward to the work putting all the trops to bed.

I am going to bring them all into the house this year, buckets/pots of water in the east window(the only window I have that gets full direct sun).

The marginals have always done well this way and I even kept a lilly last winter. Last year I tried a peat pack and lost my lotus, nice big tuber that looked fine with no rot but it never sprouted......lost 2 of 3 lillies and the one that survived took forever to sprout and is still weak, of course we had a cool summer here so that was a factor.

Am going to try to keep some azolla this year too and other small floaters that I can't remember the names of.

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

beckesj is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last winter was the first for me trying to overwinter 5 tropicals. I lost them all, used the trim the roots, let they dry a few days, coat with cinnamon, placed in separate plastic baggies in slightly damp sand and then placed them in a popcorn can in the refrig. in garage. I need to try a new method for my three new tropicals purchased this year. I did see those thermal planters being advertised on-line by Lilypons, I think they were $49.99 ? not positive. That would be $150.00 for 3 and the pots mine are presently in would not fit in those thermal planters so I would need to also repot them first. Need to give this choice some serious thought, alot of money and there's no absolute guarantee they'd make it.
      Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12