• Tired
  • Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Showa Spawn 2018

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Matt's Showa Spawn 2018

I put a female and two male showa in the little pond night before last. Starting at 2:30 yesterday afternoon, they were following each other a lot and being active with 77 F water. It is not light yet at 5 am, but I hear quite a bit of splashing, especially near the waterfall. Coffee is brewing ...

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      I put a female and two male showa in the little pond night before last. Starting at 2:30 yesterday afternoon, they were following each other a lot and being active with 77 F water. It is not light yet at 5 am, but I hear quite a bit of splashing, especially near the waterfall. Coffee is brewing ...

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Well the spawning is done, and we've got lots of eggs. Here is the log:

6/1/2018 (3 days after full moon) 10 pm: Put three showa in little pond (1800 gallon) which has 5 spawning ropes.

Female showa, with only a little orange 28", 7 years old
      Male ginrin showa, orange 24", 6 years old
      Male showa, red 24", 10 years old

Water was 77 F with level several inches below the rocks (filled to about 1200 gallon). Spawning ropes go all around the edges with an extra rope under the waterfall. Have not run the UV all spring, but have done several water changes. Water is rather clear. 6/2: From 2:30 pm til dark there was lots of following and togetherness with water 77 F.

Spawning success 6/3: At 4:30 am, there was substantial splashing, which got more vigorous at 5:30 around daylight. Morning water 72 F, 5 degrees cooler than yesterday evening, four days after full moon, barometric pressure of 30.10 and slowly rising, ambient 64 F. At 7:30 am, confirmed large number of eggs had been laid. Tested water: A 0.25, N 0.05, PH 7.8, KH 100. Most of the eggs were laid along the two sides closest to the waterfall. Removed the adults at 9:30 am when they had seemed pretty much done for at least half an hour. Returned the three to the big pond at 12:30 pm without incident (no harassment by the main school) after a 3 hour bath in 100 gal of 0.30% aeriated salt (2.5 lb). Covered tub with plastic mesh held down with lumber wrapped in old bath rugs. This is because the red male likes to jump and bang up his nose. Changed out ~60% of the little pond water with big pond water without exposing the eggs to the air. Raised water level to about 90% full.

This is the third year spawning this group. In 2016, due to my mishandling of the eggs, the hatch rate was very low. But despite the very small number of fry, I got a couple that I really like. In 2017 there were lots of fry, but virtually all had deformed heads/faces, a total loss. There had been no indication of any prevalent deformities like that in 2016. So now in 2018, I guess it will be best two out of three.

Here are photos of the adults taken before I moved them to the little pond for spawning:

Name:  Rachel 6-1-2018.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  76.9 KB Name:  Patch 6-1-2018.JPG
Views: 1154
Size:  64.0 KB Name:  Shofar 6-1-2018.JPG
Views: 1240
Size:  66.6 KB

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

We've got lift off!
      And now the real fun begins.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking good Matt ! Glad they got it done

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Max, Delbert, and Steve. Here goes something. I can't count my koi before they are hatched … or even after ...

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Something tells me this is going to be a good cross producing very nice koi, good luck and lots of hard work ahead but fun times looking forward to the progress

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

You're a pro. Congrats!!!
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Orlando. I hope so. They've now hatched in big numbers. So far so good. Log details below:

6/4, 7 am: A day after the spawn, the ropes in front of waterfall were partially floating due to bubbles. So I tied a broken chunk of brick to them to make them sink. 8 pm: Put double layer of cheese cloth around pump bucket to help keep fry from getting sucked in after they hatch. Evening water 72 F, A 0.2, N 0.1, PH 7.8, & KH 90. Roughly estimate 70% of eggs were fertilized.

Day 0, 6/5/2018, 5 pm: They are just starting to hatch (~2.5 days, ~60 hours after eggs began to be laid). Water is 72 F, A 0.15 & N 0.2. By 10 pm, flashlight shows there are lots of fry hatched, looks like many thousands. They can even be seen out in the open water.

Day 1, 6/6, 8 am: About 1/3 of surface around waterfall is foamy. Lots of fry are sitting on the side slopes, some swimming around. Started feeding 3 tablespoons active dry yeast mixed in pond water over a whole day. A 0.3, N 0.2. Removed the 5 spawning ropes, moving gently into a small tub in the pond, swooshing out fry before removing ropes, and letting fry go back from tub into pond. Noon: Changed out ~60% of water by pumping in from big pond while draining some from filter. T 74 F, A 0.20 & N 0.15. Added Ammo-lock. Dipped up the piles of eggs in the corners, put in tub and gently agitated the debris to get most fry swim to the side, then dipped out most of eggs and returned fry to pond. Put an artificial garland on each end of the pond just for cover and put the orchard net back over little pond to help protect fry from predators.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      You're a pro. Congrats!!!
      No way KR. Just having some fun, and hoping to avoid any major issues, but thank you.

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Matt, I have a really good feeling about this. It's going to be a very exciting summer.

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Steve Sibly is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Matt,

Looks like an interesting combo, I particularly like the GR Showa the body is awesome on it, So that combo with the big Female you should get some large showa, Pic 3 male is a very nice looking boy too,
      Look forward to your updates mate nice work.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Max. I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a fun and interesting journey.

Steve: Yeah I like the body on that ginrin as well, thanks. I was fortunate to get him second hand at a good price from a guy that keeps an all-girl pond. With that robust build, that showa was mistaken for female when young. Once he started chasing the girls, the guy wanted to get rid of him.

Similar story on the female. A guy that likes to take fish to shows had bought her as an Omosako utsuri. But as she grew, bits of orange started to show up around the edges of the black. So he did not feel he could show her, and he made me a very reasonable deal.

I'm finding it is good to know people with more exquisite tastes in koi than my own. The red male is from a Kodama auction.
      Last edited by Matt24; 06-08-2018 at 11:55 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Ammonia seems to be dropping earlier than in previous years. It and nitrite are each 0.15. On Day 4 (after hatching) the color difference between the dark (potential showa and utsuri) and the light (potential kohaku and muji) is still rather subtle.

Name:  showa fry day 4 6-9-2018a.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  38.7 KB Name:  showa fry day 4 6-9-2018b.JPG
Views: 1085
Size:  31.8 KB

Khristopher is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful!! Still waiting here. Mama is still full of eggs..

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
      Beautiful!! Still waiting here. Mama is still full of eggs..
      Thanks Khristopher. Welcome to Koiphen. Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      … On Day 4 (after hatching) the color difference between the dark (potential showa and utsuri) and the light (potential kohaku and muji) is still rather subtle.
      Now on Day 8, it's pretty clear which ones are dark and light. Just from a small sampling it looks like the dark ones are only about 15% of them, which is not great if you really want showa and utsuri. But I know you can do worse, so I'll gladly take it.

Name:  showa fry day 8 6-13-2018b.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  44.5 KB Name:  showa fry day 8 6-13-2018c.JPG
Views: 1058
Size:  52.3 KB

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

on the 15%!

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a sample at 15 days. Sorry about the junk in the bottom of the cup. They are still pretty small. Not seeing any tobi, but some substantial size differences are appearing. So in addition to the pulverized koi pellet powder, I am ramping up the high protein seafood paste, sort of following Wombat's method. This particular blend is 33% tuna, 22% sardines, 15% mackeral, 15% salmon, and 15% pumpkin. So 85% seafood. I'm thinking that if most of them get some decent growth, the tobi wannabes won't have many siblings they can't eat and won't get so big, and won't eat so many, and won't get so big, and so on.

Name:  showa fry day 15 6-20-2018a.JPG
Views: 996
Size:  92.8 KB Name:  showa fry day 15 6-20-2018b.JPG
Views: 994
Size:  90.3 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast