• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ulcer or Wound?

619Ponder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gloria, Thank you for those long replys. I am sure you are a very nice person and you mean very well. However you completely missed the point of my experience by a mile.

It doesn't matter if the ulcer diagnosis, the fish health diagnosis, the pond store water testing or any number of peoples advice is right or wrong. It doesn't matter what the quality of my pond was or what the condition of my fish were.

First lets just say you have a 5,000 gal pond. Lets say you want to safely add tap water in a slow trickle of about 100 gal/hr. Lets say you let it run for 7 hours while your are at work or overnight while sleeping. Do you then add enough dechlor for 700 gal or 5,000 gal? Do you add the Dechlor before you start the trickle or after?

You see the hard lesson that I learned here is it doesn't matter. The water must be dechlorinated before the fish are exposed to it. If the dechlor is working while the fish are swimming in it. They are getting poisoned. Even if you have years of experience with this method you were only getting lucky. Eventually you will hit a hot spike maybe or this city is sterlizing the neighborhood or anyone of unknown scenarios could have happened.

The only reason my fish are dying is because they were exposed to chlorinated water. I have gone through all the errors in my thinking, errors in my and others diagnosis, errors in my judgement, errors in my testing or other peoples, errors in the treatment of my water and errors in the treatment of medicating of the fish. But in the end the fish are dead and I am experiencing a huge loss because the water was not dechlorinated and healthy BEFORE the fish were exposed to it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ZUROBI3 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gloria I'm confuse about this words that 619Ponder said : (Lets say you want to safely add tap water in a slow trickle of about 100 gal/hr. Lets say you let it run for 7 hours while your are at work or overnight while sleeping. Do you then add enough dechlor for 700 gal or 5,000 gal? Do you add the Dechlor before you start the trickle or after?).

Cause when I watch my husband doing water changes the fish are in the pond swimming and he add tap water and @ the same time he add the Dechlor, maybe I'm confused the way and there's two different things, plus we got the instructions that you post for the trickle and he's going to do it, I believe and have the impression that you run that thing all the time or I'm wrong and that you using the same water that you already got in the pond so then it should be already dechlor, correct me if I'm wrong cause I want to learn
      ZULMA

Click for Orlando, Florida Forecast

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry you thought I missed your "point". My replies were in response to your whole thread, not just your last lesson learned. My points are:
      1. In ANY pond/fish crisis/ emergency you must have basic knowledge about your pond, water, and fish before you start with any kind of treatment.
      2.If you ask people for help(and you did) you need to give them the information they need to help you
      (see sticky https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93072)
      3.Before you begin any treatment ask about possible complications and confounding conditions (for example salt and Proform C, potassium permanganate doses and filters, constant water inflow:well or city,etc)
      4. Unless you have a great deal of knowledge, follow the bottle directions when dosing meds (again you need to know your volume to do this).
      Chlorine IS a big fish killer. No one will argue against you on that one. Dechlorinating the water in a separate tank prior to adding it to the pond is a great way to prevent this problem but again you must know the volume of water you are dechlorinating AND have a separate tank that will hold enough water for your water changes (10-20% of your total volume 1-2 time per week).
      Sodium thiosulfate is a good dechlorinator and will persist for a day or. If you add it in the proper amount(or a little extra) before you start adding your chlorinated water you should be fine. If you plan on doing a trickle through however that requires you know how much water per day and add enough declor each day(an easily forgotten task!). Make SURE you have a method for removing the chlorine - design your method and test for residual chlorine before you add it to your pond. There are large activated carbon filters around for pretreating your water but they generally have a rating for how many gallons if water they will treat. People on here have designed automatic drip systems for adding dechlorinator to their ponds for their city water trickle.
      A lesson you have learned the hard way, along with many of us is to learn how to keep water and a few inexpensive fish before you try to keep expensive fish. I am so very sorry for the loss of your fish. This is a hard introduction to Koiphen for you,but we welcome you here. I hope you understand that to some degree or other we have all been where you are. If we sound harsh that is unintentional, we just hope to prevent you from making the mistakes we all have made.
      When you have a moment to reflect please reread this thread. Read the emergency health sticky. Read some of the many excellent books on koi keeping - a new one called Nishikigoi Mondo is excellent and in Q & A format.
      There are many more and the members here will give you the names if you are interested. We would really love to see pictures of your pond and fish.
      One further point; if you do really have 65 fish in 2500 gallons of water you need to return or rehome most of them. The minimum amount of water recommended for koi is 250-350 gallons per fish, 500 is better. The really expensive show fish may be one fish to 50,000 gallons! For optimal health and growth you should aim for 5-10 fish.
      Last edited by GloriaL; 09-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

619Ponder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zurob, If your confused how do you think I feel? I have been doing tap water trickle for years. The only thing I did diffrently was instead of once a week. I did trickles 4 days in a row and once overnight. I added the amount of dechlor required by the calculations for the amount of chlorinated water added.
      So there you go no accidental letting the water go, nothing out of control. I feel I was following sound procedures that everyone recomends. I now built a seperate 700 gal pond just for fresh water. It has a large air stone bubbling 24 hours. All the water has to sit in there atleast 48hrs before going into the pond.

It has been 6 days since I put any fresh water in and still two more dead today. The total count now 22 fish and thousands of dollars plus fish over 5 & 10 years old.

ZUROBI3 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know the feeling specially is they're expensive fish and that old too, in things like that mean filter, water changes and all that stuff is my husband that take care of that but I always see him when he do the water changes that's only certain % every other day or every two days that he put the decholinator before the tap water straight to the pond and so far nothing, but don't know the amount or whatever he put, I know that he always counting the gallons or whatever amount he's changing that's kind of difficult if he doesn't have anything to measure the exact amount but that's what he do, hope that you don't loose no more fish and by the way did you go to the website I told you and read the inf. about the medications, good luck and I don't know too much but if I can help let me know
      ZULMA

Click for Orlando, Florida Forecast

mariam is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm sorry for your loss At least the mystery is solved and it won't happen again.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123