PDA

View Full Version : no spawn so far

koifish1950
07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I live in Pa. and my koi have not spawn and it July 19.
Water is good , I had to have a pp treatment in Early June, is this part of the problem.

NaturesCall
07-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Not all fish spawn when we expect them to. We've had a koi buldging for 2 years. She finally spawned this year...Just last week in fact.

CHICHI
07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I live in Pa. and my koi have not spawn and it July 19.
Water is good , I had to have a pp treatment in Early June, is this part of the problem.

Hi ..:D:

Mine have never Spawned :no: What Temps are they at ?

PP is sometimes used as a prophylactic Spawning Inhibitor as is MG ..

The effects are Temporary though :yes:

db reddragonfly
07-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Do you have enough spawning stuff in your pond? Mine spawned late this year also. The last week in june and july 4th. Im hoping they are done. I still have 3 fat females. mine didnt spawn til I add water celery , parrots feather, and the usual WH and water lettus.Then most of them spawned the same day:rolleyes: There were so many eggs I didnt feed them for three days!

tyco4357
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
How old are your koi? They usually have to be about 3 years old. At least that is what mine have always taken sometimes more. Also it is colder up in PA so be patient. Up North, they seem to be spawning later because of the weather. Mine spawned about a month ago. Also make sure you have some kind of spawning medium. The female likes to clear a place even tho she will be spawning all over the place. It also lets the males know that she is getting ready.

koifish1950
07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
they are 1 year to 4 years old, they spawn last year, the temp. is at 74,i have lots of plants and brushes in the pond. I has 3, 4 year old that are loaded with egg.

Joey S
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Do you have males in the pond? Do you want a spawn and eggs? Or are you just concerned about the females being egg laden?

koi4u2c
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Make a partial water change. The water is too warm to trigger spawning.

Are you sure you want a spawn in your main pond? It runs the water quality and you may then have to fight ammonia and then nitrites. I prefer that my koi do not spawn in my main pond and usually they do not.

If I remove several to a spawning tank about 900 gallons and about 18 inches deep at 68 -70 degrees with spawning material, mine will then spawn most of the time.

koifish1950
07-19-2009, 09:43 PM
yes there are males, i want them to spawn i enjoy raising them,
I will try a water change tomorrow to see if triggers a spaw.
yes I'am concerned about the females being egg laden

tdmeckle
07-25-2009, 08:59 PM
yes there are males, i want them to spawn i enjoy raising them,
I will try a water change tomorrow to see if triggers a spaw.
yes I'am concerned about the females being egg laden

I wouldn't be to concerned about her being egg laden. There are generally other signs of that type of issue beyond them simply not spawning and if she doesn't spawn she will simply reabsorb them. The water change is probably your best option though.

If you do have a large enough qt tank or container putting a female in with a few males can trigger spawning. The new setting can set the mood I suppose, and as was mentioned itís hard on your water conditions to have them spawn in your pond.

Mimi
07-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Mine haven't spawned yet either. I'm in Utah.

koifish1950
08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
here it is Aug and still no spawn, i tried the water change, but some much rain this summer and bad water in the spring, i guess i have to want till next year, but on the up side lotus did great,have 2 both with 5 bloom never had that before