PDA

View Full Version : Fry comparison

expat
07-17-2009, 02:26 PM
We have 2 groups of this years fry, one group is from several spawnings in the mud pond and the other group was a controlled spawing. The mud pond lot are great to see with a wide range of colours and are doing fine. The controlled group however are very frustrating in that some have not grown much and they are very slow to get any colour. This group are now over 2 months old and we begin to wonder if we are doing something wrong. We realise that in the mud pond it is likely that those small and weak fish get culled by the adults which won't happen in the control group, but still some are less than an inch and most are still that orangey colour.

Any ideas?

kevinm
07-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Expat - I have the same problem except none of my fry are in a mud pond, just a 1.4k and 5k above ground pool. The ones I moved to the 5k are starting to grow like weeds now where as they languished in the 1.4k pool. I know I've been reading numerous posts on fry rearing and the biggest hindrance is not enough water changes and not enough feedings. I've been changing around 5-600 gallons every couple of days and the fry are showing much better growth. Hope this helps. :yes:
KevinM

expat
07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks kevin, I have moved most of the fry to the mud pond except for some i want to keep an eye on. good luck.