PDA

View Full Version : spawning concerns!!

sgarbett
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone. I am getting concerned. I live in central Ohio and I still have not had a spawning! The water temps have been perfect for the last two months. I have three females that are just full. I don't know the correct term but their female area are positively buldging. If you know what I mean. I had a great spawn out of one of the females last year and she is ready to pop again. Should I be concerned? Last years spawn happened in late May. I could sure use some input. Thanks

Tommygug
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Last year, I had a similar problem. Someone told me to do a 25% water change, the change of temperature would help trigger a mass spawn. I did it, they spawned and I thought it was great advice.
This year, my pond has not mass spawned. Last year they went on 6/7, but nothing this year yet. I did pull 6 fish out and spawned them separately. I donít know if that altered the spawn dynamics for the rest. I tried the water change but it didnít work this year. The water temps are nowhere near where they were last year. I live in NY and I donít think we have had a day over 90 degrees yet.
If I were you, I would try the water change. Worst case is you have improved the water quality in your pond, the fish win!

Joey S
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Do you have males in the pond? If the females don't release the eggs, most times they can absorb the eggs over the winter. You could try a water change. You could stop feeding for a bit.

sgarbett
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I do have several males. They were part of the spawn last year. I did a water change about two weeks ago. I have also cut back on feeding to once a day. The temps outside were in the low 90's for about four days in a row in mid june. The only thing different this year is we have moved. They are in a intex quick set pool right now and have been since april. We are working on the new pond now. I just want to make sure they wont be harmed by not spawning! Any other suggestions? Or should I just not worry? They are soo full of eggs it looks painful to me.

johnhubbs
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Greetings Sgarbett,
Your problem may be the intec pool you have them in. My fish will not spawn unless I set the mood for them by providing somewhere for the eggs to be deposited. Try some mop heads (run through the clothes washer without detergent first) or something like that. They need something that replicates the grasses and pond side vegetation of nature.
Since you state they spawned last year, you realize what a danger this can pose to the fish and how this will trash your water quality for a week or so?
If you really want them to spawn, perform a 25% water change and add some KoiVital. If that doesn't get them going, wait till next year. Usually the females will absord their eggs without problems.
Regards, John.

Mimi
07-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Joey, How does reducing feed help induce spawning?

sgarbett
07-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Thank you John. You just reminded me of an important factor. I have some plants in the pool but I think your right. Nothing appears very natural to them right now. Last year I had plenty of water hyacinth as well as several homemade spawning ropes (yarn). They deposited their eggs all over those items. Im not sure where to get KoiVital? Can I find it in a local pet store? Is there anything I should watch for if they don't spawn and they absorb the eggs? I of course would hate to loose ANY of my Koi. Thank you to all for the suggestions. Sonnie

expat
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you John. You just reminded me of an important factor. I have some plants in the pool but I think your right. Nothing appears very natural to them right now. Last year I had plenty of water hyacinth as well as several homemade spawning ropes (yarn). They deposited their eggs all over those items. Im not sure where to get KoiVital? Can I find it in a local pet store? Is there anything I should watch for if they don't spawn and they absorb the eggs? I of course would hate to loose ANY of my Koi. Thank you to all for the suggestions. Sonnie

I would try seperating the males from the females for a while then put them back together.