PDA

View Full Version : Moved the Fry To an Aquarium...

elduderino
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
MAN they're real ugly when you can see them at that angle!

I have about 200 in a 60 gallon with 300gph sponge filter goin. Params are good. I have more control over who eats this way, and end up feeding them more. Bloodworms and crushed up flakes right now, though they really prefer the worms.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/AramDellalian/koifryaquarium004.jpg

goldfish321
06-24-2009, 01:44 PM
300 gph sponge filter? I've never seen one that big
that filter looks a bit more like a hob, is it?

stephen
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
MAN they're real ugly when you can see them at that angle!

I have about 200 in a 60 gallon with 300gph sponge filter goin. Params are good. I have more control over who eats this way, and end up feeding them more. Bloodworms and crushed up flakes right now, though they really prefer the worms.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/AramDellalian/koifryaquarium004.jpg

Lookin good:cool::yahoo:They probably don't need the flakes anymore but they sure do love them bloodworms:yes:

elduderino
06-24-2009, 04:21 PM
300 gph sponge filter? I've never seen one that big
that filter looks a bit more like a hob, is it?

It's a standard over-the-top filter, but i've got a 4" x 15" sponge on the intake to keep them from getting impelled. Works okay so far. Doesn't help with the ugliness, however ::no:

Hirogoi
06-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Give them time. Ugly babies doesn't mean ugly big fish.

elduderino
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Ahh...big ammonia spike after day 4. nearly 2ppm. 50% water change and some cleanup, and we're down to 1ppm. So though they're slurping up the bloodworms at an insane rate, i'm not going to feed till we're back to 0ppm.

any tips on how to up the bio capacity? The aquarium walls/filter aren't fully seeded yet, i'm sure, but perhaps I can put in some bio-media from my [active] pond filter for the time being? No harm done, right?

goldfish321
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
You could use a sponge filter on that air stone you have running on the left

stephen
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahh...big ammonia spike after day 4. nearly 2ppm. 50% water change and some cleanup, and we're down to 1ppm. So though they're slurping up the bloodworms at an insane rate, i'm not going to feed till we're back to 0ppm.

any tips on how to up the bio capacity? The aquarium walls/filter aren't fully seeded yet, i'm sure, but perhaps I can put in some bio-media from my [active] pond filter for the time being? No harm done, right?

I would do 2-300% water change per day or what ever it takes. Now is a crucial time and they need a lot of bloodworms and a lot of good water.

elduderino
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
goldfish:

done...put one of the stones in the sponge. can already see loads of stuff flowing through that column.

stephen:

thanks for the "push"...will do the water changes daily. Not a big deal at all compared to a pond water change.

elduderino
06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/AramDellalian/ammoniatest004.jpg

After a 95% water change, there are still traces of ammonia. Amazing. The bacteria should be kicking in any minute now though, I hope. The test tubes up top are the tests, with the left being the most recent, and all the way to the right is before any water change. Yesterday I did a 50% change, tested after, got about 1ppm (2nd from right), then this morning we were back up to the 1.5-2 range. And now we've got what looks like .25ppm after a 95% change. Will feed then see where we end up. ph is 7.5.

elduderino
06-26-2009, 01:39 PM
also, going to skip the hyacinths for a few days to hopefully help the situation.

elduderino
07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, for an update, all the fry are doing fine. Amazingly, i've lost NONE to water conditions, mal nutrition, etc. The only fatalities are from cannabalistic siblings and/or parents. And those we don't see. Several are in the big pond, I've sold and given away several, and still have about a hundred. These two are the biggest, and have decent markings. The kohaku pictured was actually raised outside in green water and not fed or filtered for a month+ . He grew and was the first one to have some Hi sprout out. Also the biggest in the fry tank so far. Happy to say he hasn't lost any since I moved him back inside, but hasn't improved either. The other one has an interesting pattern, looks to be doitsu. Would be nice to get some Hi going, but who knows.

Any opinions?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/AramDellalian/koiJuly29005.jpg

goldfish321
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Looks great, how about tank pics?