PDA

View Full Version : Question on Intex pool for fry

Poppajohn
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I set up the 12' intex pool I bought to raise fry in about a week ago. It has water in and I also added two plants from my pond to help seed it. Today I went and purchased two feeder goldfish and was going to place them in the pool as canary fish to make sure it is safe for the fry but I am now wondering that I might not want to do that in fear the feeder goldfish might have bugs or such and then the it would be passed to the fry possibly when I add them.

So basically my question is should I add the goldfish or just wait another week and then add the fry? I would be removing the goldfish before adding the fry if I did try the goldfish first.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.
John

Cowiche Ponder
06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
if you want to cycle the filter before the fry use household ammonia. Otherwise why do you need to add the goldies?

I just put my fish in the pool with no aging of the water..but I don't have city water either

Poppajohn
06-15-2009, 12:25 AM
I was not using the goldfish for cycling I was going to use them to test to make sure there was nothing unsafe on the liner of the pool. I gave the goldfish away so just going to let the water cycle for a week or two and then add the fry. The pool will have had water in it for a week already as of Tuesday and waiting another week or two before I add the fry and my water is from a well not city water.

In my initial post I thought I explained the goldfish were to make sure it was safe for fry not cycle but perhaps I did not.

goldfish321
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't really see why you are worried about chemicals. If it is a pool for humans there would definetly not be any harmful chemicals

cindy
06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
no goldies