PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this fry diet?

Midorigoi
05-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Here is my feeding plan for koi fry in the future. Is this a balanced list and can it be improved? I want your opinions :yes::yes:

List:
Rotifers (frozen & live)
Mysis shrimp (frozen, they're like adult brine shrimp)
Daphnia (frozen)
Bloodworms (frozen)
Blackwater growth food
Hikari Staple
Krill (freeze-dried)
Brine shrimp (live)

Any key nutrients missing, is this idea good?

Super Kindai
05-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi, Do you think that somehow you can get LIVE Daphnia in somewhere??
It will be fine even if a small quantity because you can make an explosive increase in daphnia population relatively in a short period prior to fry hatch.
If you can make it successfully, then you don't need any of these good but pricey food listed above..... at all. :yes:

Midorigoi
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi, Do you think that somehow you can get LIVE Daphnia in somewhere??
It will be fine even if a small quantity because you can make an explosive increase in daphnia population relatively in a short period prior to fry hatch.
If you can make it successfully, then you don't need any of these good but pricey food listed above..... at all. :yes:

I can :yes: but I tried growing them in a big 80g pond full of greenwater and they all died :confused: Right now I have a small colony of them in a bucket, trying to find out what went wrong in the big tank...

Super Kindai
05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I can :yes: but I tried growing them in a big 80g pond full of greenwater and they all died :confused: Right now I have a small colony of them in a bucket, trying to find out what went wrong in the big tank...

:eek1:........You have it !!!
Daphnia is a mysterious living thing so I would be wrong but your daphnia died maybe because lack of oxygen...
Green water (= green algae/bacteria) itself is good food for them in general but if it turns too greenish water, it often course the problem. Also, Green water is known to have some kind of poison ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcystin ) that possibly affects to your daphnia's type.

In order to increase daphnia, you can use either chicken manure or Live/Dry Yeast / Budding yeast, also spinach powder works good as their food. Chicken manure is good if you want to increase daphnia in a separate container(s) . On the other hand, you can increase daphnia in your future fry growing pond directly by using Yeast or spinach powder. ........ If you are interested in this method, I will let you know how..

Also, there is other option for growing fry easily. By using "Hikari Plankton", you don't need any other food at all...:yes:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1978/Plankton-by-Hikari

Hirogoi
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I have daphnia in my goldfish tank... Dunno how it happened they were just there one day.

You could also try what I feed my babies in their first few days after the egg yolk I give them spirulina powder mixed with rice protein. Only the best in hippie chow for my little ones.

Midorigoi
05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
:eek1:........You have it !!!
Daphnia is a mysterious living thing so I would be wrong but your daphnia died maybe because lack of oxygen...
Green water (= green algae/bacteria) itself is good food for them in general but if it turns too greenish water, it often course the problem. Also, Green water is known to have some kind of poison ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcystin ) that possibly affects to your daphnia's type.

In order to increase daphnia, you can use either chicken manure or Live/Dry Yeast / Budding yeast, also spinach powder works good as their food. Chicken manure is good if you want to increase daphnia in a separate container(s) . On the other hand, you can increase daphnia in your future fry growing pond directly by using Yeast or spinach powder. ........ If you are interested in this method, I will let you know how..

Also, there is other option for growing fry easily. By using "Hikari Plankton", you don't need any other food at all...:yes:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1978/Plankton-by-Hikari

Woa they were definitely poisoned by the green water (it was really green) I have yeast and a few leftover daphnia from the first attempt in a spare bucket and I just filled up a smaller container that I'll release them into tomorrow.

Thanks you! :bow::cool:, and I am interested in the other growing method for the daphnia. :yes: