PDA

View Full Version : Orgy time

LostAcres
05-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Good God. My pond errupted this morning into a spawning frenzy such as I have not seen before. My terriers were trying their best to get a hold of something in there that was trashing around.

I have had plenty of spawns before, some of these koi are 9 yrs old, but left everything up to nature, and actually have about 7 or so survivors from that, that are pretty large now.

I do have one female that I am worried about. WHile everyone was chasing everyone, this female looks pretty plumb, and was swimming mostly with her head down throughout the day. This afternoon she seems better. I am thinkiing eggbound. Will watch her.

Not sure this has anything to do with it, but a couple of days ago, I threw about 12 hyacinth pants out there. ALL of those plants roots are COVERED with eggs, so is the side of the pond. While I never intended to breed, like I stated, let nature take its course, I happen to have an empty 55 gallon tank inside that has been running, and has just lost one of his inhabitants, a large wild Discus. I removed its buddy to another discus tank for company, so the tank was basically empty, other then a couple of cory's. Soooooooooooo, to make a long story short, I decided to take on of those plants with its roots covered in eggs, and put it in the tank. I know, I am crazy, but want to see what I can do to get them to hatch and maybe have a few survive. Ahhhh its spring time!!

cindy
05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
here too and at the show

Super Kindai
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I am sure 12 hyacinth pants triggered off......:D:
If we could maintain a simple combination of water quality, temperature and food amount, then majority hatched fry would survive without any problem.

LostAcres
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I am sure 12 hyacinth pants triggered off......:D:
If we could maintain a simple combination of water quality, temperature and food amount, then majority hatched fry would survive without any problem.

Yeah I know some will make it just fine in the pond, given that there are plenty of things to hide into, but as we know, most eggs will be eaten. No idea why I decided to take an eggladen plant inside...Guess I am in the need to raise some sort of baby...LOL. This is a very well established pond, so no douts on some surviing.

OMG Cindy, at a show? Do they (koi) do not have any morals at all???;)

LostAcres
05-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Most of the eggs on the plant I moved inside have eyes tonight. I checked the much calmer pond, and of course, most of the eggs on the plants and the side are gone. Since I never intentially raised Koi, this will be an interesting experience for me. The aquarium is kept pretty warm, since it was a Discus tank, so From what I am reading I think I can expect them to hatch in another day or two? Going to start getting food ready for them, once they are done with their yolks. I wish I could take proper pictures, but my flash on camera reflects of the aquarium sides.

Do I really want to do it? No, I don't, but I LOVE a challenge. So depending on what happens and what happens and what we get, there may be some free Koi available. :yes:

LostAcres
05-25-2009, 06:46 PM
saw a few hatched. So excited!!! That was fast! Oh My they are hatching all OVER the place!!!!!

fishmaster102
05-25-2009, 07:15 PM
wow grats. You can send some babies my way!! ;) Good luck with the babies. I think its most important to offer lots of food, just to keep them healthy and plump.

LostAcres
05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Well I don't think I need to worry about food for a few more days...They ARE hatching all over the place. Never knew how small they would be

LostAcres
05-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow this is too much fun to watch. They are dropping like flies. Fry all over the place

Super Kindai
05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Do I really want to do it? No, I don't, but I LOVE a challenge. So depending on what happens and what happens and what we get, there may be some free Koi available. :yes:

You already got fry....a lot., :D:

IMO, to get free koi is easy, very easy by breeding in backyard or even growing fry/baby in aquarium.
In addition to that, we can even get some "Good looking" koi. (it's depend on variety though...Kohaku, Ogon, and Chagoi for instance, are easy but forget about Sanke.) However, it is nearly impossibly to get packaged "Great koi".

It is commonly said that if we save money that would be spend as an expense of the back yard breeding, you can get better koi easily at a dealer in most cases. On the other hand, I am sure that you can get a profound experience and knowledge that can not buy/learn from books and any other people.

Cindy_AL
05-26-2009, 04:16 PM
It is commonly said that if we save money that would be spend as an expense of the back yard breeding, you can get better koi easily at a dealer in most cases. On the other hand, I am sure that you can get a profound experience and knowledge that can not buy/learn from books and any other people.

:yes:

Hirogoi
05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Having fun? :)

LostAcres
05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Having fun? :)

Yep, sure am. Let's see, I brought the eggladen plant inside on the 24th. By the evening of the 25th, they all hatched, did not see any eggs left on plant and removed it back into pond. Today is the 27th, 80 percent of them are free swimming and coming to surface, a few left on side of tank. I guess this means they are ready to be fed??? Seems from all I have read this was pretty fast. we shall see how many will make it