PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Green Question

Midorigoi
05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I searched for some info on this but was unable to find any...

I know when you have koi/goldie eggs you're supposed to put in malachite green to protect them from fungus, but I also heard that it can harm fry. :confused: I'm a bit confused because of this, do you remove the meds once they hatch or something?

Just asking for future reference :yes:

Bjonness
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM

I know when you have koi/goldie eggs you're supposed to put in malachite green to protect them from fungus, but I also heard that it can harm fry. :confused: I'm a bit confused because of this, do you remove the meds once they hatch or something?

I heard that too. I had eggs in the past and I didnt use it and they hatched fine. :yes:

You probably dont even have to use it. Adding any chemicals im a bit worry about.

Before they spawn you can dip the plants in potasium permaganate and it will kill all the harmfull fungus and bacteria. :yes:

CHICHI
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Methylene Blue can also be Dosed to disinfect Spawn :yes:

http://www.pondshop.com/catalog/meds.htm

Koijazz
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
You can put it in the pool on day one. Any later, the chemical will still be very strong when the fry hatch and they will die. Whenever I don't use the Malachite Green, all my eggs get fungus and don't hatch. Where I live, you can't find pure Malachite Green, but if you use an Ich Away that contains Malachite Green in it, that will work as well.